Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Catalytic Converter Smell - New 2003

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smelly4runner: You wouldn't be the same nagging complainer that is posting under the handle of 'martin45' on Edmunds are you? If you are, please take your hatred of Toyota elsewhere. I am sorry you have a problem withyour vehicle, I don't. If you are having health issues with the vehicle, simple solution, sell it.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Re: stinky car

Originally posted by smelly4runner
i work at an auto part store and have never had this problem on any car i have every owned i have at my sport v8 for over 2 months now and have changed gas liked they asked me to do 4 times always only putting in tops grades of gas when i asked them what grades should i use the couldnt tell me what brand they couldnt tell me i even filled up at the same gas station the dealer uses and still i get the smell!
it is a design flaw people there is something wrong with the exhaust system, as a whole not just that cat that is where the part of the problem
the smell in my truck is so bad that i have pulled over and thrown up it so bad. toyota just doesnt want to do a recall cause they have so much invested in this car i have gone to 3 dealers and a couple of auto repair shops the auto repair shops say the same thing that the exhaust is bad tjhe dealer says change the gas
well lets see exxon/mobil/sunoco/hess/citgo/BP(amoco) all the same crap
i have put in for a lemon recall on the exhaust with toyota of america i think everone shoudl do the same
if im gonna spend 30 grand on a truck it sure as hell will be one i can enjoy
obviously they know something is wrong just not enough people are complaing yet changing gas shouldnt make a difference 98% of all gas companies use the same gas they all get it from the same refineries mobil,exxon.bp.sunoco.coastal,texaco even your little independents companies all get it from the same place just put there name on it

no problems here....
Old 06-16-2003, 07:21 AM

no that isnt me and actually i love toyotas i have 4 other ones 2 of which are 94-95 supras and a 90 previa none of which have this smell that is why i dont get the crap about changing the gas is actually a sulfur like smell if you have ever been around any chemical like in chemistry classes you would know what i am talking about when a chemical known as sulfur burns it gives off a smell much liek that of having rotten eggs at easter time or just if you go away for any period longer then 2 weeks that is rotten egg smell but it is infact a sulfur smell coming from the catalytic converter and the rest of the exhaust cant sell cause i lease
if you actualy read my post it it said i like my car alot that i why i bought it ! you $%$%$#$%#5 !!!!
:pat:
Old 06-16-2003, 07:24 AM

sac maybe if i went and spent the extra 400 bucks on the the borla exhaust i migth not have it either oh wait you probably spent more than that
Old 06-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

no that isnt me and actually i love toyotas i have 4 other ones 2 of which are 94-95 supras and a 90 previa none of which have this smell that is why i dont get the crap about changing the gas is actually a sulfur like smell if you have ever been around any chemical like in chemistry classes you would know what i am talking about when a chemical known as sulfur burns it gives off a smell much liek that of having rotten eggs at easter time or just if you go away for any period longer then 2 weeks that is rotten egg smell but it is infact a sulfur smell coming from the catalytic converter and the rest of the exhaust cant sell cause i lease
if you actualy read my post it it said i like my car alot that i why i bought it ! you $%$%$#$%#5 !!!!
:pat:
Old 06-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

sac maybe if i went and spent the extra 400 bucks on the the borla exhaust i migth not have it either oh wait you probably spent more than that
Old 06-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Waaaaah! waaaaah!

So I am a *&^%)*^&,

takes one to know one.

I am glad you are having trouble with your BO. Maybe if you took a shower more frequently? Hope you puke all over your inside windshield.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:03 AM

listen children im not here to start any fight with the fact is there are people who are having this problem you are not one of them lucky you but the statement was meant for them then not you
Old 06-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thats fine, most people who have this problem are hostile and scream their problem to the general board populace. This is not the Toyota complaint department. You exhibited your grace, intelligence and social demeanor when you called me a $%^&#. Actually the Borla system was $550 cost and it smells and sounds like a rose. At this point the smell is noted, stop complaining. Besides the sulphur smell you notice is a by-product of burnt gasoline. If you have ever been to the triangle of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Lake Charles you would know what I mean. I do not associated the smell with rotten eggs, I associate the smell with sulphur.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sac State
Thats fine, most people who have this problem are hostile and scream their problem to the general board populace. This is not the Toyota complaint department. You exhibited your grace, intelligence and social demeanor when you called me a $%^&#. Actually the Borla system was $550 cost and it smells and sounds like a rose. At this point the smell is noted, stop complaining. Besides the sulphur smell you notice is a by-product of burnt gasoline. If you have ever been to the triangle of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Lake Charles you would know what I mean. I do not associated the smell with rotten eggs, I associate the smell with sulphur.
Do you have any pics/sound files or your exhaust?
Old 06-16-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: stinky car

i work at an auto part store and have never had this problem on any car i have every owned i have at my sport v8 for over 2 months now and have changed gas liked they asked me to do 4 times always only putting in tops grades of gas when i asked them what grades should i use the couldnt tell me what brand they couldnt tell me i even filled up at the same gas station the dealer uses and still i get the smell!
it is a design flaw people there is something wrong with the exhaust system, as a whole not just that cat that is where the part of the problem
the smell in my truck is so bad that i have pulled over and thrown up it so bad. toyota just doesnt want to do a recall cause they have so much invested in this car i have gone to 3 dealers and a couple of auto repair shops the auto repair shops say the same thing that the exhaust is bad tjhe dealer says change the gas
well lets see exxon/mobil/sunoco/hess/citgo/BP(amoco) all the same crap
i have put in for a lemon recall on the exhaust with toyota of america i think everone shoudl do the same
if im gonna spend 30 grand on a truck it sure as hell will be one i can enjoy
obviously they know something is wrong just not enough people are complaing yet changing gas shouldnt make a difference 98% of all gas companies use the same gas they all get it from the same refineries mobil,exxon.bp.sunoco.coastal,texaco even your little independents companies all get it from the same place just put there name on it
Why not just drive with the rear window up, problem solved
Old 06-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Old 07-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sac State

where did you get that exhaust for $550?? That is cheaper than i have seen it
Old 07-10-2003, 09:19 AM

FWIW: I drove my '95 300ZX out to the beach and threw my bike in the back... I had to leave the hatch open of course... and I get the same, if not worse, smell than the 4Runner.

I now have close to 9k miles and use Amaco 87, I have to say the smell isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I too would like to know where a Borla can be picked up for $550.

I was told to get a magna (?) flow... The guy is a dealer for both.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LIVE4SWELL
where did you get that exhaust for $550?? That is cheaper than i have seen it
It came as a Toyota installed feature, DE10 is the Toyota code. I paid invoice for the set-up, MSRP is $779 from Toyota.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I have no smell in mine, well at least not egg or sulfur. I use Premium fuel wherever I buy it, usually Hess or Mobil. I also live in Florida and have my window down 90% of the time. Besides, what kinda truck do you want, if ya don't want it to stink? Should of bought an Escalade!
Thats just my coinage! (.02)
Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

This is SO off-topic but I just have to know...

Why are you SOL if you've got a new 4Runner?
Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 AM
SoL

funny that you say that...Sol is my middle name (spanish for "Sun") But I have always jokingly acknowledged that it means the other!

I do consider myself very fortunate to be able to afford this great vehicle though.