Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Canadian v. US 4Runners

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian v. US 4Runners

Any differences between 99 4Runner Limiteds in the US/CA?

From what I understand, in CA they all came with roof racks, sunroofs, rear heaters, and locking rear diffs. But you couldn't get a factory wind deflector that most US 4Rs had. True?

Thanks...
andrew
Old 01-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AFAIK, here in Canada, the e-locker only came if you bought the optional TRD package
Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by SizzleChest
AFAIK, here in Canada, the e-locker only came if you bought the optional TRD package
No, there was never a TRD package on the 4Runners, not even in Canada... maybe you're confused with the Tacos? I know that the locker was standard on 00 Limiteds in Canada (I found a brochure on the internet)... but I don't know what other changes.

cool avatar btw. giggity giggity.

Last edited by Andrew; 01-19-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Andrew
...not even in Canada...
Just out of curiousity...how do you know...? Live in Ca....? Work for Toyota...?

Jim
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by jruz
Just out of curiousity...how do you know...? Live in Ca....? Work for Toyota...?

Jim
Up until a year and a half ago I had a 2000 4Runner Limited... I am familiar with all of the models ever offered in Canada, even the obscure Badlands edition.

I am just not sure if there were any functional differences between US and CA 4Runners- emissions, heating upgrades, block heaters, etc.

Thanks... wish I lived in Vancouver, though! Great city....
Old 01-19-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Andrew
...I am familiar with all of the models ever offered in Canada, even the obscure Badlands edition. ...
Just via the Internet?

I just wouldn't go 100% by everything you read on here...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 PM

heh i have the rare badlands model they have sweet bucket seats in them alot better then sr5 seats, i know that mine has a windshield washer fluid low symbol i dont think us models have this, Mine also comes with a whip attena i dont think any us models have this
Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

i found this "badlands" 4runner while searching "badlands 4runner" in google. it looks alot like BigJohn's rig!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:43 AM
lee
Contributing Member

http://autonet.ca/EdmontonDrive/Stor...m?storyID=4297

i dont know for sure, but my understanding from talking to various canadian friends is that they had less options -- most of their runners came fully loaded... base sr5s are very hard to find up there, apparently.

very few 2wds as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lee

very few 2wds as well.
HMMMMM.......wonder why that is?

Sorry guys I can't say much on the differences, mine came from the US.
I do know if you bring it to a dealer up here and run the VIN it is like it never existed.
Toyota Canada and Toyota US are completely different companies.
If there are recalls they need to be done in the country of origin.
Totally sucks I know.....found that out after quite a few calls to Toyota corporate.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-20-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Interesting, thanks for the responses everyone.

jruz- What? You don't believe everything you read on the internet? You might not recognize my name on this forum, as I sold my 4Runner just before YotaTech arrived, but I've been around in the 4Runner community for a while. I have some Canadian brochures (which aren't terribly specific, but they do give the models and the options- just not the technical details like what BigJohn mentioned) and I've spoken to some Candians. While it's possible that there was a TRD version, I'm pretty sure I would have heard of it by now. My guess is that any 4Runner in Canada that says TRD is a dealership special or done up by a 4Runner enthusiast. I don't mean to come off like a snob and I applogize if I've offended, but on this one I'm certain there was no TRD version. We definitely would have made a big stink about it here in the US if we had been denied the TRD version.

BigJohn- I agree with you on the Badlands seats! When I lived in Texas, I considered trading my '00 for an '02 Badlands- a dealership in San Antonio had purchased a BUNCH of them with less than 500 miles each. I went down and had a look at them... seats were much plusher. I liked the steel rims, too. Your mention of the washer fluid low light turned on a lightbulb somewhere WAY back in my head... I wonder if all models of the 4Runners had that? It might be a requirement in Canada.

lee- From what I've read and heard from people in the know, all Canadian Limiteds (in 99/00) had the rear heater, roof rack, sunroof, and locker standard. Those were all optional (but fairly common for the most part) in the US. I have some build sheets on 4Runners imported to the US and the only option that is rare of those was the locker- about 25% produced had it. But that's still a lot to choose from.

MTL_4runner- you bring up my number one concern. I wonder how easy it will be to service a Canadian 4Runner in the US- TSBs and such. The salesguy said that the 4Runner they had wasn't certified but that he would get it certified for me. At the time I didn't know it was a Canadian model- but I looked it up on Carfax. Granted, it has been here for several years, so obviously some service has been performed on it. Hell, if I can get a really good deal on it, I'll figure it out.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andrew, I am sure you can get the vehicle serviced but it is the Factory Recalls and TSBs that may be a serious PITA. Definately use the VIN to check at the dealer when you buy a car to be sure if they are covered. Luckily 99's don't have the dreaded head gasket issue.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:33 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the answer to this problem is pretty simple: go to a dealership / shop you trust and ask if they service canadian 4runners. if they say yes, tell the seller you want to take it to someone to get it inspected. take it to that person and if they check it over and you repeatedly ensure that they can indeed service this vehicle and they give it the OK, then youre all set.

right? :pig:
Old 01-20-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by lee
the answer to this problem is pretty simple: go to a dealership / shop you trust and ask if they service canadian 4runners. if they say yes, tell the seller you want to take it to someone to get it inspected. take it to that person and if they check it over and you repeatedly ensure that they can indeed service this vehicle and they give it the OK, then youre all set.

right? :pig:
MTL_4runner- you've hit my concern exactly. TSBs and recalls. I know there were a few TSBs on the 99 and 00s (especially that fuel guage one, that always drove me nuts on my 00 until they issued it!)

lee- Good idea. I never thought to just "ask" my dealership! I'm going to call and ask them now. Unfortunately the vehicle is located about 250 miles away, so I can't just got have a peek at it or take it to my local dealership. But if my dealership will service it, it's good with me.

andrew
Old 01-20-2004, 06:54 AM
lee
Contributing Member

250 miles huh.. wow. id call another dealership in the area and pretend you want to bring it to them for service in the future and carry on the way i indicated. if a shop or dealer in the area OKs the truck, youre all set.

i dont know how id feel about asking a dealer without them looking at the truck.. theyd probably just think 'yea, whats the difference?'

youd be surprised how uninformed they can be as well! :pat: