Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can you use a helix tbs with a K&N FIPK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you use a helix tbs with a K&N FIPK?

I was looking around the internet for the best price on a throttle body spacer and i came to a site that said the helix tbs can not be used with a K&N FIPK. I know what everyone says that they are a waste of money..but i think everyone is looking for that boost of hp or tq in the higher rpm ranges. All im looking to improve is the low end torque and reduce or eliminate the boginess the engine has when you first step on the gas. I was just wondering is there is any truth to that. Thanks
Old 08-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

The TBS isn't going to do crap either way unless you have a carburated engine. I don't know what truck or engine you have, but the air needs to go through all those twist and turns before getting mixed in with the fuel in the combustion chamber in our fuel injection engines. Apparently you haven't done too much research. Since you mentioned "bogginess" in the engine, I'm assuming you have a 2.4L or 2.7L 4 banger. My dad has a '97 mini with the 4 banger. It has the same bogginess off the line, but runs great after you get it up to speed. Don't waste your $$$ on the TBS unless you just want a cool sound for $100 when you stomp on it. It 's your truck, do what you wish, but I wouldn't waste my money on that and the FIPK, just do the deckplate or elbow mod and be done with it.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Total waste of $100. I speak from experience. Stick your head out the window and blow a whistle instead.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by motorider722
All im looking to improve is the low end torque and reduce or eliminate the boginess the engine has when you first step on the gas.
First off if you have a K&N FIPK, then get rid of it! It's pure junk.

I once had the boginess your talking about. My engine did the same thing but i cured it while also adding a nice noticable difference in power and throttle response.

As <96 Runner> and humanoid already mentioned, TBS's are worthless and will actually decrease power.

My advice? Trash/sell the FIPK and buy a $100 "MIT" Airaid intake tube. Reinstall your OEM air box. Replace your air filter with a TrueFlow, Amsoil or factory paper. Clean your MAF sensor and thottle body. Replace your fuel filter and pvc valve. Replace spark plugs (Iridium) and wires with NGK. Do the deckplate mod. Total cost: $250~ and you'll have the smoothest, fastest, best running stock 3.4 in your entire city!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

yup, tbs is junk, you dont even get the "cool noise" i figured i would give it a try anyway, had it in for a week, decreased mpg under my crude unscientific testing and took it out and returned for full refund minus return shipping
Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Talking Throttle body Spacer information

I've read some of the replies and I'm not sure I agree with them.
Here's my scoop on a Helix Power Tower Plus.

I've sold over 7,000 of them over the 6 years I've been in business. I've had about 45 returned due to customers saying they didnt work. Well, for the 6,955 I would gather it worked. The most satisfied customers actually have newer Fuel Injected motors. I have a Vortec 350 and recieve 3 miles per gallon on a long trip - not in town.

My biggest seller is the Helix power tower plus from street and performance electronics. They also have an AIRMAX Intake that is designed to fit with the TB Spacer.

I have customers reporting to me 3 - 7 miles per gallon gains so I'll let that speak for itself. Do they work on EVERY vehicle this way - not always. Some do sqat with it but I'll offer you this.

30 day money back quarantee if you do not see improvement. To be more specific I can only give the dollar value of the product back and not shipping.

My prices are very low - check em out at www.onestoptruckshop.com. I'm a self made honest guy looking to help out at the best prices I can.

www.onestoptruckshop.com

Last edited by Mr. One Stop; 01-04-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr. One Stop
I've read some of the replies and I'm not sure I agree with them.
Here's my scoop on a Helix Power Tower Plus.

I've sold over 7,000 of them over the 6 years I've been in business. I've had about 45 returned due to customers saying they didnt work. Well, for the 6,955 I would gather it worked. The most satisfied customers actually have newer Fuel Injected motors. I have a Vortec 350 and recieve 3 miles per gallon on a long trip - not in town.

My biggest seller is the Helix power tower plus from street and performance electronics. They also have an AIRMAX Intake that is designed to fit with the TB Spacer.

I have customers reporting to me 3 - 7 miles per gallon gains so I'll let that speak for itself. Do they work on EVERY vehicle this way - not always. Some do sqat with it but I'll offer you this.

30 day money back quarantee if you do not see improvement. To be more specific I can only give the dollar value of the product back and not shipping.

My prices are very low - check em out at www.onestoptruckshop.com. I'm a self made honest guy looking to help out at the best prices I can.

www.onestoptruckshop.com
Please explain to us, scientifically, how "spiraled air" from a single "source" makes its way into 6 separate intake runners.

By the way, your "defective" (or return rate) on the TBS is well out of six sigma.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 01-04-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

So, let us recap.

We have the experience of hundreds of Toyota owners here and on TTORA showing that spacers don't do anything, many with dyno slips to prove it and on the other hand, we have the word of a spammer who sells the things...

Hmm... Tough call...

Don't bother with the TB Spacer and get a non gauze/oil filter. Improve the flow of air through the intake with one or more of the common mods, deckplate, elbow, etc. and you will have saved some money, will be safely filtering the intake and will be getting all the intake related performance gains you are going to see while still remaining normally aspirated.

Last edited by WATRD; 01-04-2007 at 07:40 AM.