Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Call Toyota & demand a Diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All kidding aside a really sweet diesel would be fun to drive again. Haven't had one since my mercedes 300D.
That Mercedes 300D is the gold standard for diesel engines. I've got one out in the driveway now and that thing's awesome. Slow, but incredibly reliable.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Coldforged
That Mercedes 300D is the gold standard for diesel engines. I've got one out in the driveway now and that thing's awesome. Slow, but incredibly reliable.
That's what I understand. You'd have to neglect one badly to get less that 300k out of one. Plus, they'll burn just about anything
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ranma21
You can't compare it that way considering the Toyota 3.0 is a 4 cylinders turbo diesel and the cost too.

Ooooh a 4cyl....hmmm that would be very economical....hmmm
Old 03-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hafftrak
You would NEVER get that red dye out of your fuel system. Heavy heavy fines if they catch you doing that.
Bio-diesel.

A little Methanol (windshield de-icer), a little Caustic Lye (drain opener), and a lot of veggie oil (fresh or used). Mix it up, agitate for a few hours then let sit to seperate. You can run any diesel engine just like normal on the result (no need to warm up or cool down on real diesel like running un-modified veggi-oil).

(note the side product of the reaction: A bio-degradeable detergent that makes a very effective degreaser)
Old 03-26-2005, 09:57 PM

US diesel still contains sulphur. That is a big stumbling block. I drove my cousins LC 120/Prado in Germany with the TD a couple of weeks ago. It had great power. She drove it down the autobahn at 100mph without thinking twice... it was snowing at the time.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:27 PM

i'd gladly pay $4 a gallon for locally produced biodiesel. it's renewable and it'd take away the whole "war for oil" excuse(but that's another subject for another day).

however, with diesel prices the way they are now($2.69 for diesel compared to $2.39 for premium unleaded) i'm a little leery. seems that diesel is more popular so naturally the oil companies jack up the price...
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

I have read many times that mpg in relation to cost works out very close in normal driving. But when the deisel starts to shine is when you work it, towing and hauling results in no loss of mpg were as the unleaded gas falls off. All that torque is so appealing and if you tow boats or trailers mpg is noticed. Deisels are also known for 500,000+ miles but you typicaly pay 4 to 8 grand more at time of purchase. I have wanted one for , well for ever it seems.
One thing I didnt know as some other posters said the new Deisels are grumpy. To bad too I like the old duece and a halves in the military( multi fuel go anywhere).....the good ole days
Old 03-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Yeah that was a sweet car. Bottom of the radiator fell out though and before i could get to the side of the road the motor had blown

It was slow on takeoff but it cruised at 90 no sweat once it got up to speed. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Watch that radiator VERY carefully it takes no time as all to blow once it goes. That motor had 350k on it when it went and was still running strong.

Originally Posted by Coldforged

Last edited by ctcost; 03-27-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:21 PM

i think the funny thing about a diesel engine is that it's generally simpler than a gas engine with the exception of the injector pump and whatever controlls that these days. no spark plugs, ignitor, distributor etc to go bad.

i'm just appalled by the outrageous cost of diesel lately. it's the cheap byproduct of gasoline production, yet it costs more now for some reason? maybe it's like the case of sodium fluoride, which was once considered industrial waste that companies would pay to get rid of. now they say it's beneficial to little kids' teeth and they put it in the water -- and companies make a killing off it.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i think the funny thing about a diesel engine is that it's generally simpler than a gas engine with the exception of the injector pump and whatever controlls that these days. no spark plugs, ignitor, distributor etc to go bad.
Yeah, but if something goes it is much more expensive(bosch pump,injectors,turbocharger...)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r

i'm just appalled by the outrageous cost of diesel lately. it's the cheap byproduct of gasoline production, yet it costs more now for some reason? maybe it's like the case of sodium fluoride, which was once considered industrial waste that companies would pay to get rid of. now they say it's beneficial to little kids' teeth and they put it in the water -- and companies make a killing off it.
I was lead to believe that gasoline was a byproduct of deisel production
Old 03-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phssthpok
Bio-diesel.

A little Methanol (windshield de-icer), a little Caustic Lye (drain opener), and a lot of veggie oil (fresh or used). Mix it up, agitate for a few hours then let sit to seperate. You can run any diesel engine just like normal on the result (no need to warm up or cool down on real diesel like running un-modified veggi-oil).

(note the side product of the reaction: A bio-degradeable detergent that makes a very effective degreaser)
Methanol, yes. Deicer, no. You need 99% methanol. Granulated Red Devil Lye will do for the NaOH. Together this makes methoxide which is added to the vegetable oil. Stir it constantly for a few hours, pH balance it with HCl and rinse it with water. Allow it to separate, you want the golden liquid on bottom. The brown stuff on top are glycerins that have been stripped from the vegetable oil that can be mixed with a NaOH solution, boiled down and turned into soap. But by itself, it's just kinda greasy feeling, and not a detergent.

Fairly easy to do, I made some in the lab a few years ago just to try it. And there are recipes all over the web. But when you look at the cost of the chemicals and having to deal with all the caustic mixtures, you really begin to appreciate the old diesel Mercedes...They can burn the pure veggie oil after warming up on regular diesel. No costly chemicals needed.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM

Ahahaha diesel engines are great!

I'd never change my diesel 4Runner. Someday perhaps I'll add an intercooler, but now the truck have lots of power since 1000+ rpm.

283.000km (176.000 miles aprox.) and still running with any problem, still have the stock clutch!

David

PS: Here diesel costs 0.889 €/l.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

that is a sweet runner David