Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cabover camper install on TRD Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is how I secure my camper to the truck.
I had class 2 trailer hitch receivers welded to the frame, front and rear.
Then some 1 3/4" square tubing with some rings welded on to hook the chains too. The tubes slide in and are pinned like any hitch does. This is nice so when I need them I slide them in, and when the camper comes off so do the mounts..It has worked out really well..

Name:  DSC_2830.jpg
Views: 3993
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  DSC_2828.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  DSC_2827.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by mokai; 03-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Good looking mounts Mokai... I like the removable feature...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandiegodude

I did purchase a pop up for better mileage and stability. I will post pics as soon as I get them.
Any pics yet?

Did you get the 4wheeler?

Here are some pics of mine. (scroll down) https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...ctures-156210/
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM

That flip open camper is super cool. I dont think it would work for me as I mostly winter camp. Looks cold to me. I really like the frame, removable mounts that you rigged up MOKAI. Thats cool. Ingenious. I bet that all kinds of members have come up with cool stuff like that and never post it. Thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for on this site. Cool idea.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

taking another look at those mounts Mokai if you were to weld another set on behind the front wheels you could mount some removable sliders.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post here so hello. Hopefully this forum isn't one thats hates when people dig up old threads.

I'm looking to get a slide in pop up camper for my 04' Tacoma 4x4 TRD 5 speed but I'm a little concerned about the weight. In my manual it states (in reference to campers) that the cargo weight capacity for my truck (accounting for all options and two passengers) is only 750#. The campers I'm looking at weigh from 750-1000 dry, not counting all the gear I'd load. I'm worried about overloading my truck.

I don't do much wheeling, unless you count getting home in deep snow all winter (this poor winter being an exception). Besides that I mainly use the truck as a DD and only occasionally haul heavy loads. I do haul heavy loads a few hundred miles a few times a year and if I get the camper will likely haul that around maybe once a month for a weekend trip.

I'm looking to find out what types of suspension (or other) upgrades I should perform to allow my truck to handle the heavy load of camper + gear but without sacrificing the ride quality when the truck isn't loaded. Since I don't really do much wheeling and definately nothing to serious, perfomance in that realm isn't my priority. I'm more concerned with increased cargo weight capacity and maintaining a comfortable ride when unloaded.

From what I've gathered from this thread and all the others I've read the main suggestions people make are a leaf pack (OME seems to be the most popular) or Firestone airbags. Do I need both or is this a one of the other situation. Is that all I would need to do or would i need new shocks too?

With the leaf pack (which product # for my truck? i've heard a few passed around) would my unloaded ride be substantially stiffer? Do I need to upgrade any suspension up front? If so, what?

Lastly (for now at least) do I need to worry about frame or axel strength? Sorry for the novel post, I just figured details are good and I mind as well get as much in as once as I could think of. Thanks in advance.

Travis.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

I think this goes without saying but the camper trips will be on highway, mainly a month long road trip coming up. Likely some dirt roads but nothing too intense....
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM

My camper wieghs about 850 pounds dry. I've got the air bags and heavy duty shocks and have no problems.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Nah this forum is generally friendly... we might say something like "whoa who woke up the zombie" or something like that... lol...
most folks who need more load capacity seem to go for the beefed up springs... I went to a suspension specialty shop.. ie that's all they do suspension work on all kinds of Vehicles from 18 wheelers on down... and got custom springs with an extra leaf in the pack... cheaper than an OME set and if there is ever an issue they fix them under warranty right away... if you are going to add a slide in that is going to give you a higher center of gravity and more sway to control I would add some Air-ride air bags... better quality than the firestones according to the different shops I've talked to...

talk to the suspension shop you deal with and get a second opinion from another one... tell them what you plan to do and also consider the areas you plan to visit... if you will be driving in an area that gets strong winds all the time you need to consider that...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 AM

Hey aviator, just saw your post about adding removable sliders when the campers not on. Awesome idea
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sold on the flippac shell. I just sent in an email for an estimate!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mokai
Hey aviator, just saw your post about adding removable sliders when the campers not on. Awesome idea
I was'nt talking about removable sliders... though it is a good idea... just use a trailer ball type draw bar mount thingy welded to the side of the frame and pin the sliders in like a ball when you want them...

I was actually meaning the slide in camper... what I was saying was you could air up the bags when the camper was in and air them down when it was out... this would allow you to maintain a more or less stock ride control...

if you where planning on some more serious off roading with the camper in you might want to consider some more serious suspension mods with enhanced sway control... like what they use on the F450 mounted bucket trucks...
this would need the skills of a "commercial" suspension shop... contact your local electrical utility and find out who they use if you want to go this route...

Last edited by aviator; 03-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM

aviator: I think Mokai was referring to your post from a few years ago about adding actual sliders to his truck using his slide in mounts when the camper wasn't attached.

As for the air bags you mentioned Air Ride being better than firestone but from what I can tell Firestone makes the Air Ride bags....did you mean Air Lift? see this link to see what I mean: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags The Air Lift bags don't have the 5000# leveling capacity that the firestone bags do...not that I need that much.

Mokai: what kind of gas mileage are you getting with and without the camper? Anyone else have numbers for me?

About suspension...if I add the OME dakar springs I know I'll need new shocks too. Bilsteines, OME or other? Any opinions? Also, those leafs will lift the rear of the truck about 2" unloaded from what I've read so unless I want a seriously uneven truck this means I'll have to upgrade the front suspension also. Any suggestions there? OME again? Keep in mind I don't do any serious wheeling....mainly use the 4x4 for getting home in deep snow and for random dirt access roads that may require a bit of 4x4.

Lastly: The 750# limit that the manual states for a camper didn't make sense to me. I looked up what they list as the payload for my truck and that is listed as 1505#. Any ideas why the max weight they list for the camper is so much less? Do you think it has to do with the GAWR (axle limits)? I plan on getting my truck weighed today so I'll know what its unloaded weights are on each axle and total...this should help quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM

I get around 20-22 mpg without the camper and around 14-16 mpg with it. It's not the weight so much as the wind drag. I never go faster than 70 mph with the camper on as the wind gets really hard to fight. 55-60 mph is best for mileage and control.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what kind of gas mileage are you getting with and without the camper? Anyone else have numbers for me?

I get around 20-22 mpg without the camper and around 14-16 mpg with it. It's not the weight so much as the wind drag. I never go faster than 70 mph with the camper on as the wind gets really hard to fight. 55-60 mph is best for mileage and control.

Are you able to use 5th gear ever? Not me.

Nice setup

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 03-12-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Yea, I can use 5th gear. But it runs out of oomf pretty quick on the hills. A downshift to fourth will usually suffice. The S/C helps allot. I had the camper before I got the S/C and it would really struggle on the hills and mountain passes.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice. And from the sounds of it the S/C isn't hurtin your mpgs with no camper.
Really thinking of going that route to make it easier.
Its either that or borrow my GF's tundra
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by doober831
aviator: I think Mokai was referring to your post from a few years ago about adding actual sliders to his truck using his slide in mounts when the camper wasn't attached.

As for the air bags you mentioned Air Ride being better than firestone but from what I can tell Firestone makes the Air Ride bags....did you mean Air Lift? see this link to see what I mean: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags The Air Lift bags don't have the 5000# leveling capacity that the firestone bags do...not that I need that much.

Mokai: what kind of gas mileage are you getting with and without the camper? Anyone else have numbers for me?

About suspension...if I add the OME dakar springs I know I'll need new shocks too. Bilsteines, OME or other? Any opinions? Also, those leafs will lift the rear of the truck about 2" unloaded from what I've read so unless I want a seriously uneven truck this means I'll have to upgrade the front suspension also. Any suggestions there? OME again? Keep in mind I don't do any serious wheeling....mainly use the 4x4 for getting home in deep snow and for random dirt access roads that may require a bit of 4x4.

Lastly: The 750# limit that the manual states for a camper didn't make sense to me. I looked up what they list as the payload for my truck and that is listed as 1505#. Any ideas why the max weight they list for the camper is so much less? Do you think it has to do with the GAWR (axle limits)? I plan on getting my truck weighed today so I'll know what its unloaded weights are on each axle and total...this should help quite a bit.
Yeah man I meant airlift http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Cabover camper thread

Hi there,

I actually started this thread sometime ago and still have the cabover camper. It does weigh much more then I thought and the gas mileage is much worse then I thought. I do a complete modification of the suspension system. Up front I had OME springs and swapped out to Donahoes. On the back I added the firestone air bags, change the springs to Deavers in the back. I have to say this thing handles great on and offroad. I added the air bags to keep the springs from sagging. I hear deavers don't take a heavy load well and they're kind of pricey. This made for a very solid suspension and I could go about 65 and feel comfortable. By that I mean no sway at all. Basically that was all my truck had unless going down hill with a hurricane behind me. I don't have the SC but I don't want to pay for premium gas and at the time I heard the SC ran lean. Now I hear there's a fix for that with the seventh injector kit. I do have the 3.4 engine (which I just love). Maybe someone can talk me into the SC????

Overall it handles very well. I did think my mileage would be in the 15mpg range. Maybe I should try the 55mph thing. I definitely feel the load and don't have enough power. Overall I'm happy with the set up and I still have it.
I hope this helps out and if there's any questions I havent answered feel free to ask away. This is a great site with some very helpful people on here. Glad I can give back. If you need a few pics let me know and I'll try and snap a few.

Mokai, Do you use premium with the SC? What type of setup do you have and would you do it again?

Last edited by sandiegodude; 03-17-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM

sandie: what brand and model camper do you have? what does it weight?

I just bought a camper...it's a Roamin Chariot. I haven't gotten it weighed yet but its supposed to be 500-600#. I weighed most of the gear I'll be taking and it shouldn't add more than another 300#. All in all I'll be under 1000#. I was hoping to get away with just installing the Firestone bags to help the stock suspension but it sounds like that's not going to cut it.

If not, I think I've decided on the OME all around. 881 coils up front with dakars plus their add a leaf in the rear with Nitrosport shocks all around. I may do Billie 5100's in the rear though.

I'm open to any opinions on this plan or suggestions.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cabover camper install on TRD Tacoma?