Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A/C recharge kit from Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C recharge kit from Wal-Mart

I was at Wal-Mart, getting ready to check out in the auto section when I came across an A/C recharge kit complete with some guages, adaptors, and 3 cans of refrigerant for $33. My A/C is blowing cold, but not as cold as I would like. I was planning to take my truck in to a shop pretty soon to see if I could get some refrigerant added anyways, when the my mental cogs started to turn... So has anyone tried this kit? Does it work? And most importantly, will it work on a 4runner?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:41 AM

It's more of a bandaid fix than anything else. I used the kit on my gf's pos saturn cuz the compressor sounded like it was about to blow up from lack of oil. GM SUCKS! sorry- had to get that out of the way...ahem...To do it properly, you need to vacuum the system down, check for leaks, and then refill. Otherwise you're just going to have the same prob 6 months or less from now. Take it somewhere to a shop, preferably someone you know, where all they do is A/C on autos. If it really and truly just needs freon, then they should vacuum it down and refill. If it has leaks then they need to replace the lines and fittings. It's not expensive if they don't try to sell you stuff you don't need. Oh and by the way, in my humble opinion that kit is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you don't know whats going on or how it works. gl
Old 05-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

my pops old intrepid had a leak in it somewhere and he bought something to patch it up with if i remember correctly. you do it just like how the freon goes in, and it fills the holes. that with the fill up with freon worked fine for us. then again, maybe i could just be imagining all of this..:alien: