Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Buying a '00 T4R - Does this intake look right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a '00 T4R - Does this intake look right?

Hi guys, I used to have a '01 4x4 DCab Taco and am now getting into a 4Runner.

I am looking to buy one that has an aftermarket intake on it that I'm not sure if the PO did it right.

Could anyone that knows look at these pics and see if it all looks "RIGHT" and all parts are there?

I am particularly wondering about the small K&N style filter at the back of the intake manifold. I'm not sure what that is accomplishing. I never did any intake mods to my Taco.

Thanks for any input you have. I'm really looking forward to modding a T4R...

Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 PM

The little K&N cone is a breather from the driver's side valve cover (negative crankcase ventilation). I don't like people messing with the PCV system. He may have excessive blowby (PCV valve is allowing oil to be dumped into the intake manifold). I'd take the 4 runner for a spirited drive, pull either end of the PCV to intake hose off and see if there is fresh oil in it.

The passenger side valve cover was leaking before the owner cleaned it up. Chances are the driver's side is leaking as well.

Also, on the intake, instead of making a U, a vacuum hose for the fuel pressure regulator and for the EVAP system should be connected to it. This leads me to believe one of these fittings at the source is plugged up. It should not be. Get the owner to remove the intake and check behind the throttle body butterfly to see if it is clean or not.

I would also be leary of the lack of coolant in the overflow reservoir. Has the H20 pump/TB been changed? Check those lower ball joints, evidence of a new radiator, and oil around the rear axle drums.

Post some more pics. If it is a great deal, jump on it. If not, keep the Tacoma.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the info J2F42C. That is too much unknown for me to drive that far to look at it.

You guys rock for instant information...

BTW, I don't have the Taco anymore. Kinda want it back now. Clean 4Runners in the '00 - '02 range are hard to find around OKC...

Jody.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Jody,

I think you did make the right call by passing on it. When you find another one of your liking, post the pics and we will try to give our constructive 2 cents worth.

I knew someone who got a great deal on a Tundra while going to Tulsa University. Check out some of the Tulsa Craigslist ads for 4 runners. Also DFW, if that is not too far a drive for ya.

Best of luck.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 PM

That little one is a breather. Intake looks "okay enough" but not the best set up if you want to take it off road.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
Jody,

I think you did make the right call by passing on it. When you find another one of your liking, post the pics and we will try to give our constructive 2 cents worth.

I knew someone who got a great deal on a Tundra while going to Tulsa University. Check out some of the Tulsa Craigslist ads for 4 runners. Also DFW, if that is not too far a drive for ya.

Best of luck.
I just brought home a pretty nice '02 T4R Sport from Springfield, MO. Totally stock, no mods anywhere... Ready for "refurbishing" so to speak Needs suspension and tires - both were pretty much shot - perfect.

I do have some questions on this one, so stay tuned. I'll start a new thread or two as I begin my T4R journey...