Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes...

OK, this one is a little off the topic of Toyotas, but I figured you all would know the answers anyways.

After my ever-growing family reached 5 members... the wife and I decided that we needed a larger vehicle. After throwing a temper tantrum that a 4-year old would be envious of, I finally convinced my wife that I'm not selling my (uh-hem, I mean OUR) 4Runner. We decided to get rid of the sedan instead; which was a hard sell (sedans come in handy while showing property to clients... she's a realtor).

So, about 2 weeks ago, we ended up picking up a REALLY nice 2004 Yukon Denali XL. And even though I knew what the answer was, I proceeded to ask if it was OK to lift it about 6-8" and put 38's on it. She scoffed and just walked away. However, she did say it was OK to put "shiny wheels" on it. Ok... it's not going to be lifted, but I can sure make it look real nice with some nice little 22's on it.

So, we are about 2 months away from getting those 22's (2 escrows have to close first)... and I need to know if I'm going to have to have the brakes changed out as well. I'm assuming that's a "yes" since the stock ones might have trouble coping with 22's after being made to stop 17's... but I figured I'd ask you all anyways.

Any recommendations? Thanks as always!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is she trying to compete w/ all hummers in town
Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Sell it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

whats the overall diameter of the factory tire setup compared to the 22" tires you are mounting? Shouldn't be much of a difference... Probably like us 4Runner guys running 33's on stock brakes.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
22's and low pros will make the ride extremely harsh..
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

ouch asking for advice on a GM vehicle on YT!! = (

ahhaah jk
Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NPE701
Sell it.
Probably could make money on it if I did. We got it for WAAAAY below KBB. Unforntunaely, not an option. Plus, it's a pretty sweet ride. It has EVERYTHING... I think it even has it's own zip code.

If you look closely, even though I'm rolling in our new GMC... I'm still sporting my YotaTech.com t-shirt! That's me in Morro Bay with Morro Rock in the background.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Erik, it depends on the wheels you put on the truck. If you put heavier wheels, you will need to upgrade the brakes. If you go w/ forged wheels (big $), you won't need to upgrade the brakes.

I have buddies w/ these trucks w/ 22's and 24's and w/o the forged wheels, the truck will be very difficult to stop.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

I would not go with 22's, the big chrome wheel look is starting to fade isn't it? Congrats on the Denali, I've always liked them.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was bored so I did some investigating. Baer Alumasports seem to be the most affordable option. All the other kits I could find were 2 Gs and up.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_759929_-1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAER-...temZ8063549066
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAER-...temZ8063550403
Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Bling Bling makes the cash register go Ring Ring.

Bigger wheels = needs bigger brakes.

And if you can afford that bling....why not a 100 Series Cruiser? Or a Lexus LX470?

Personally, I might upgrade to 18's, but thats about it. It looks good without the super large Dubs, so why pay the extra money for a harsher and more expensive ride? Imagine the cost when you rub the curb or run over a pothole heh. That kind of bling is expensive to maintain....not to mention the cost of TIRES oy vey those are a lot of money.

Just my $.02
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Bling Bling makes the cash register go Ring Ring.

Bigger wheels = needs bigger brakes.

And if you can afford that bling....why not a 100 Series Cruiser? Or a Lexus LX470?

Personally, I might upgrade to 18's, but thats about it. It looks good without the super large Dubs, so why pay the extra money for a harsher and more expensive ride? Imagine the cost when you rub the curb or run over a pothole heh. That kind of bling is expensive to maintain....not to mention the cost of TIRES oy vey those are a lot of money.

Just my $.02
I hear you... but the wifey wants them. It was one of the stipulations of me not selling my 4Runner. The tires and rim combo for 22's runs just under $2k. Manageable. I'm just wondering what sort of costs on top of that are around the corner. I know the tires are like $250-300 each to replace as opposed to $100 each for a regular tire. So many decisions to make... but the Denali is my wife's new toy... not mine. I've just been charged with fixing it up with wheels, A/V, etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM

So you want it too look like every other soccer mom's G-Unit spec SUV? I don't see what the appeal of ugly wheels is to women that often don't even know how to pop the hood. You know they could care less what kind of wheels it has, they just want YOU to spend the money on them. I laugh every time I see a dumb, gold digging broad ditzing around on her cell phone in the Escalade on 29's that her boyfriend got her. Don't be that guy...

It all adds up to being a bad decision; expensive tires that are hard to find and not every shop can mount, possibly no more spare tire, poor gas mileage, stiff ride, high risk of damage to the wheel and a cookie cutter image.

And if you're getting 22" wheels/tires for under $2,000, then I know the quality is absolutely horrible. Safety is an issue with wheels that poorly made...

The pussification of America continues...
Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Midget96
So you want it too look like every other soccer mom's G-Unit spec SUV? I don't see what the appeal of ugly wheels is to women that often don't even know how to pop the hood. You know they could care less what kind of wheels it has, they just want YOU to spend the money on them. I laugh every time I see a dumb, gold digging broad ditzing around on her cell phone in the Escalade on 29's that her boyfriend got her. Don't be that guy...

It all adds up to being a bad decision; expensive tires that are hard to find and not every shop can mount, possibly no more spare tire, poor gas mileage, stiff ride, high risk of damage to the wheel and a cookie cutter image.

And if you're getting 22" wheels/tires for under $2,000, then I know the quality is absolutely horrible. Safety is an issue with wheels that poorly made...

Was that necessary? He already said it's his wife's choice, some people like to do things for their family.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Midget96

I dont really recall him ever asking what your opinion of him, or of his wife were.

Perhaps you should try and and actually give him advice on Tire/Wheel upgrades, or brake upgrades since the topic is "Brakes" and not "Please bash my wife and I"

Last edited by DeathCougar; 02-09-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

If I had a Denali, I would throw 22's on it...

22's aren't that big when you think of how big the body of the Denali is... Looks nicely proportioned...

Heres are a few pics I found on google of 22's on a Denali...

Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Safety first + they look good!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I know people on this board aren't fans of big wheels but on the GM trucks, I think the bigger, the better. I know you have your budget but you should consider some forged wheels. They cost more but are more durable and will not require a brake upgrade due to their weight.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure what I'm going to do... I know that Midget's comment didn't really help at all since it was basically him telling us all to steer clear of an experience that really scarred him and obviously still haunts him. I obviously need to do some more research on this issue before making a move. I'm with Grimpy and Edwin on this one... the size of the truck definately deserves some extra metal down there. 22's just seem to be the perfect size as 20's seem too small and 24's+ are just rediculous looking (IMO). So, thanks for the advice, the memories, the pics and the nightmare (Midget). YotaTech rocks!