Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla exhaust

So I'm interested in getting a Borla system for my taco (97. V6) and I wondering who's got one and what they think of it?
I did a search, but they seem mostly to mentioned in passing.
What, other than the price, do people dislike about borla?

Thanks,
Ian
Old 02-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
So I'm interested in getting a Borla system for my taco (97. V6) and I wondering who's got one and what they think of it?
I did a search, but they seem mostly to mentioned in passing.
What, other than the price, do people dislike about borla?

Thanks,
Ian
anyone?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

anyone?

I got on my 03 runner. Best money I ever spent.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Personally, I thought it was a little loud. The steady drone put me to sleep. It was also hard on conversations...
Old 02-22-2004, 04:36 PM

I bought the Borla system for my '04 Taco, but I ended up selling it on Ebay. The system I got looked nothing like the picture on Borla's web site. The tip was HUGE and looked like it was desigend for a diesel truck.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody got this system on a 3.4L in the LA area? Love to give it an in person listen.
Thanks,
Ian
Old 02-22-2004, 05:21 PM
lee
Contributing Member

youre from ohio...
Old 02-22-2004, 05:58 PM

No experience with them on the trucks.

In general, Borla does give a good performance increase. As good as you're going to get in fact.

BUT....

They are god awful expensive. A custom made Meineke system with a Dynomax muffler gives almost as much power, for about 1/10 the price.

Borla is a bit loud, and rather ricey sounding. It is the exhaust of choice for the fart can fans in Honda Civics. Imo, it makes you engine sound like it lost half it's cubic inches.

I personally would not run a Borla system because I would never spend that kind of money on the exhaust. But, plenty of folks do spend that kind of money, and love it.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

i have a magnaflow muffler and all new 2.5 tubing and a manaflow oval tip all for 260 at buds mufflers and it sounds better i think than my friend trd exhaust
Old 02-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
youre from ohio...
I came from Ohio....I changed my profile, at least I tried to. I'm in Los Angeles these days, probaly for quite a few more to come as well. I will make another attempt at fixing the profile.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
No experience with them on the trucks.

*snip*
They are god awful expensive. A custom made Meineke system with a Dynomax muffler gives almost as much power, for about 1/10 the price.

Borla is a bit loud, and rather ricey sounding. It is the exhaust of choice for the fart can fans in Honda Civics. Imo, it makes you engine sound like it lost half it's cubic inches.
But can I get stainless from Meineke (or similar, I haven't been out here long enough to notice which big chains abound)?
I was gonna ask if the ricey sound is on the 4cyl or v6, but I'm pretty sure borla only makes a system for 3.4L, so forget I asked.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:09 AM

But can I get stainless from Meineke (or similar, I haven't been out here long enough to notice which big chains abound)?
Yes, you can. It costs more and may require special ordering of the pipes, but they can do it. An individual store may not, so you may have to do a little shopping around.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 AM

If you go on the Borla website, it says that the 4th Gen. exhaust is for the v6/v8. Any word on this, if it's true or not. Is that the dual outlet exhaust that the v8's have from the factory?

Also, for all you 4th Gen. Borla guys, do any of you still experience the sulfer smell with the dual side outlet exhaust?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yosmany

Also, for all you 4th Gen. Borla guys, do any of you still experience the sulfer smell with the dual side outlet exhaust?
I've never had a sulphur smell from day 1. I bought my Runner from the dealer with the Borla installed at the port.

Just like anything, I love the Borla, I hate the Borla.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sac State
*snip*
Just like anything, I love the Borla, I hate the Borla.

What's to hate? Expense is the main hurdle for me (though I'm curious about the sound) and yours was already on.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

What's to hate? Expense is the main hurdle for me (though I'm curious about the sound) and yours was already on.
Expense is a non-issue for me.

When warm and in 'D' at a stoplight, the damn exhaust exhibits a metallic/rattling sound from underneath the vehicle. Sounds like a loose heat shield. Very embarrassing. Dealer said it is normal for Borla, like he should know being a Toyota mechanic, to have the 'Borla resonance' that I am experiencing. 'As he has 125K on his Toy with a Borla'. I don't think I asked how 'reliable' it is, but 'why' it sounds like crap, when at a stoplight.

Sounds great in motion, in 'P' or 'N", but put it under load and it sounds kinda ricey and like the metal is loose inside the muffler. When I park the vehicle in the cold, <32*, the exhaust is very metallic sounding until warm and then it exhibits the noise described above when I come to a stop.

I might reorder the gasket that fits between the CAT and the Borla muffler. Some have said that fixed their similar metallic noise. I just haven't got down on the cold, snow sludge covered driveway to do an afternoon's worth of work on it.

That's my $.02.

Good luck, I am sure someone will chime in about how great their's is, so now you have balance in your feedback.

Overall, I am 85% happy with the Borla. Off the line is lightening fast and the Wa-WAAAaaaa when you stomp it is cool. But the rattle sucks.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Mufflers? Who needs mufflers? Run a side-exit straight pipe from the cat back.

I will post pics when mine is done. Too loud for most folks, I garantee that.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Rattle sounds bogus, like a problem with the install-that or close to the tip it may have enough play to bump against the frame- a problem I've had in the past with a different truck....

thanks for the input
Old 02-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

The situation makes it almost impossible for me to check for the rattle under the vehicle when it is running. The only time I have the rattle is when I am in 'D' with my foot on the brake. It is really bad in the garage when I come home at night.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sac State
The situation makes it almost impossible for me to check for the rattle under the vehicle when it is running. The only time I have the rattle is when I am in 'D' with my foot on the brake. It is really bad in the garage when I come home at night.

I've had my Borla, for about 7,000 miles and I've yet to hear a rattle.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust