Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

blown gaskets again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown gaskets again?

All right guys, here goes. I finally put back together my top half, valve gasket grind set, re-built the heads, and followed all of the instructions (MAF). Sorry, I have a 88' runner 3.0 V-6. So I finally turn on the engine and woosh! White smoke everywhere. I ran it till it warmed up and looked into the radiator, no bubbles indicating a leak. The idle is fine, and the power is fine. No overheating at all. I drove it for ten to fifteen minutes, and everytime it is at idle, it smokes. When I gas it, whoosh, big puff of white smoke, and the sweet smell. As the rpms get above 2500, the smoke seems to stop, but when it goes back down, it smokes again. I'm totally confused. Did I blow the gaskets again? I can't think of anything else that would cause this. I peeked into the radiator today, and some anti-freeze was missing. Could it be a bad radiator or water pump? Maybe a bad PCV hose or EGR? Any help would be much appriciated. I have spent the last month, mostly weekends, fixing the truck and am pretty pissed. I'm even thinking of dumping the truck all together. thanks, Derrick
Old 09-18-2003, 06:52 PM

Hello there,
First of all, was your rig smoking bad before you took it apart? I work at a dealership (we're not all thieves) and I've done dozens of these headgasket fixes. Sometimes if a LOT of coolant was dumped into the exhaust, it will smoke a whole lot for some time after you start it up after the big fix. The coolant level will sometimes drop a considerable amount after it sits from the first time you run it. I guess it's the air being purged from the system. I'd let it run for a good while and see if it goes away. Double check your vacuum hose routing (I once saw a tech hook up a (small diameter) coolant hose which goes to the throttle body to a vacuum port (lots of smoke here).:pat: Finally if it doesn't go away you might do a compression test. I hope it's just residual coolant in the exhaust and wish you the best of luck.

'94 Extended Cab 4X4 22R-E
'00 Solara SLE V6
Old 09-18-2003, 07:32 PM

Yes, I work at a dealership too, and I totally agree with what you're saying about the coolant left over in the exhaust. We've seen that a number of times actually. Especially if the head gaskets really blew bad.

Mike.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM

head gaskets

thanks for replying guys!
I really like the fact that both of you have worked for the dealership and you both took the time to respond. I was thinking the same thing, extra coolant in the exhaust, however I don't have a cat, and wonder if this would still happen. Also, I forgot to mention that the previous owner ran only water in the radiator for some time (my water jacket was corroded). My friend that re-built the head welded them up and set everything back up. I'm also thinking that maybe I did switch a hose while hooking everything up. I got a bit confused hooking up the lines on the passengers side of the air intake cover (phlem). I was wondering if anyone had a dealership diagram that would help me out with all of the hoses. I bought the FAM, and tried to follow it as much as possible. I'm hoping it is just one of the things that you guys have brought up, I'd hate to take it all apart again. One more thing, the passangers side head gasket was a Rock gasket, and the drivers side is a OEM from the dealership. Do you guys think that this would affect the build up? Do you think any of these gaskets need re-tourquing? I called the guy that I bought the Rock gasket from and he told me that this brand of gasket shouldn't need any re-tourquing. I might check any way if nothing fixes the smoke. Any chance that one of my injectors is leaking? I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend and see if there is anything on them. If there is some anti-freeze, does this mean that I blew the gasket again? My friend also told me that sometimes it takes one to two gas tanks to get the smoke out. Is this true? Sorry or the long response.

thanks and aloha, Derrick
Old 09-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Did you check the block to see if the mating surfaces were warped?? Or maybe even cracked? Depending on the guy who did the head job??? You said he welded on the head?? did the head get milled?? Did you torque it in the sequence and steps in the FSM?? did you re-use the head bolts??
I don't like the residual coolant idea only because you talk about the coolant going down.
Can you do a compression test on it??

Come awn.. did ya screw it up? :cry:

BTW.. I have been there too many times, never had a gasket pop, but I have not had the best of luck with other peoples head work..
Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 PM

I'm hoping I didn't mess up. I trust the guy that did my heads, but I'm sure other thing can always happen. No I didn't re-use my head bolts. I bought new ones for the job, and I followed the order the factory manual specified. What I'm begining to think is that there might be some pin holes in the heads that couldn't be fixed. I also heard that with the re-surface, the timming cover doesn't fit perfectly. I'nm going to pull my plugs tommorow and see what's on the bottom of them. I may have screwed them up,
i wouldn't be supprised (first time and all). If you can think of anything else.....

thanks, Derrick

p.s. I'll check the compressions after looking at the plugs. I just wanted to take some time off from the truck before diving ion again.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:39 PM

Where you located at? If your in Northern California and the engine is blown and you want to sell it, I'm interested. I'm looking for a 1st gen v6 4runner or extra cab pickup with a blown engine if anyone has any leads. Sorry it's off the topic, Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 03:52 PM

man, I'd be more than happy to sell you the engine. But.... I live in Hawaii, and I don't think you're going to want to spend the money on shipping. Sorry I couldn't help you.

aloha, Derrick
Old 09-22-2003, 06:49 PM

I meant the whole truck with the blown engine in it, but HI is a little far unless it's a submarine too?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:19 PM

sorry, didn't read your thread carefully, mind is on what to do with the runner. Sub would've been cool. Good luck in finding one for yourself.

aloha, Derrick