Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Black interiors on 2nd Gens?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:50 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black interiors on 2nd Gens?

As an early 2nd Gen owner I have grown rather tired of my gray interior. I have tried hunting for black interior parts but found nothing. Come to think of it I don't think i've ever seen any pics of a 2nd Gen w/ a black interior. Is it just me or does this seem strange? I like the combination of red and black that I have going on with my exterior and I wanted bring that inside with some red and black wet okoles and and a wheelskins euro wrap. I was thinking of completeing the interior with a new black carpet kit door panels and head liner. Is this just way too busy or even possible?
Thanks,
-Dan
Old 08-06-2004, 08:02 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
All things are possible given enough time and money... and what you're asking is pretty easy and pretty inexpensive. There were no black interiors, so if you want black and red (I had a 3000GT with a red and black interior and it was sweet) all ya gotta do is some upholstery and paint. Pull all the plastic bits and paint them and reupoholster the door panels to match the seats covers. After all, Toyota never offered a Tangerine interior either....

Last edited by Flamedx4; 08-06-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:20 AM

Ya I had thought I might have to paint the plastic. My concern is the paint flaking off or smudging up on clothes. I know there's such a thing as special paint for plastic parts(interior). Has anyone here done this? If so any recommendations or cautions? Ya may be the subliminal powers of sugestion are at work. I just saw an ad in a magazine for the new mazda RX-8. I had seen the ad before and it shows a red and black interior. I'm thinkin thats what started this whole kick.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:34 AM

I painted the plastic flares on my old jeep...

To this day (3 years) they still look new and they see way more abuse and sun than your interior ever will.

Goto a local auto body supply store and buy the PPG plastic paint, cleaner and primer.

Clean the plastic bits, sand, prime, clean, prime, sand, clean the paint.

When I get my Yota I plan on doing this very thing using a matte black paint similar to what is used in new VW Jettas.

Justin
Old 08-06-2004, 08:51 AM

Flares you say, ......hmmm. My flares are a bit too shiney for my taste. I think you may have something there. ...GREAT! THANKS! NOW I'LL HAVE TO PAINT THOSE TOO!
This Mod stuff! ........it's a Curse I tell Ya! :cry:
Old 08-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota did equip some of their Hilux Surfs with a Recarro black and grey interior kit overseas. They sometimes pop up on eBay, but if I remember right the last one went for like $500!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MODZILLA
Ya I had thought I might have to paint the plastic. My concern is the paint flaking off or smudging up on clothes. I know there's such a thing as special paint for plastic parts(interior). Has anyone here done this? If so any recommendations or cautions? Ya may be the subliminal powers of sugestion are at work. I just saw an ad in a magazine for the new mazda RX-8. I had seen the ad before and it shows a red and black interior. I'm thinkin thats what started this whole kick.

I used some interior trim paint and it flaked off pretty badly. The dash is the only thing that is still "somewhat" holding up. I'm going to do it all again with the new krylon flexible plastic paint.

I'm thinking about going with a black/grey interior when I redo it all. I've got snow camo seat covers that look really nice with my white truck. So I think the black/grey interior should really compliment it. And when I have a few days off and nothing to do, I'm going to rhino line the interior floor.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:44 AM

Mine is done with the same paint as the exterior. 2 years of serious abuse (this was the shop truck for the body shop that painted it) and it's still great! Even the wear areas look like new. The door sills are painted too, and while they're worn smooth and nicked a bit, the paint is not coming off. Some plastics react to paint - so you might get a junkyard part to experiment with. If so, there is a special process to get it primed and painted. And of course, if you've even armor-alled it or something like that, it will need special attention to get rid of that cr ... er residue.

The trick to pulling this off IMO is to go all the way with it. Disassemble everything and paint it all. Otherwise even a casual observer will note the discrepancies.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:46 PM

you can find interior paint at your local auto motive store. a buddy of mine did it to his, it looks good and hasn't flaked or chipped in two years. Just make sure that the surface is CLEAN.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I changed my interior from brown to grey eight years ago using PPG's vinyl dye.

I removed every piece, cleaned them all, scuff them up with a red scuff pad, them sprayed them. I left the headliner in, masked it off then sprayed it.

Had my seat reupolstered, and new carpet. Everything has held up great.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 PM

Nice!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:39 AM

Gregg, I LOVE YOUR TRUCK MAN!! My first TOY was a red 1987 SR5 4X4 but not an extra cab. Mine did come with gray interior then. I absolutely loved that truck, it did everything for me but cook my breakfast. ....well almost. Anyway you get the idea. Seeing yours makes me want it back. Ok so good advice everybody, I really appreciate it.