Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BIG PROBLEM after replacing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it ran fine right before you changed the plugs, then it almost has to be related to the parts that you worked on or had to remove. It is not likely that the wire inside the coil boot is not touching the plugs any more and needs to be stretched out since it ran fine prior to your removing it. You also didn't fry anything by putting single electrode plugs in it. As a matter of fact, it will run fine on them. The problem also isn't related to the spark plugs being screwed in too tight, but don't screw them in too tight or you might damage the threads that the spark plug screws into. They have to be in tight enough to seal and not leak, so snug them up good, but don't over do it. The distance that they stick up because of how tight you put the plug in is definitely not the problem either. It also doesn't have to have a lot of gas in the tank to start, but you can't be out of gas either. The problem almost surely has to do with your re-assembly of the parts or that something got broken during the procedure. I know that you said that you have checked it all, but it seems like you must be missing something.
On the passenger side, check that the coils are all plugged in, tightened down, and that the spark plug wires are connected properly. On the drivers side, make sure that you didn't damage the spark plug wires when you pulled them off of the plugs. If you pulled on the wires rather than the boots when you unplugged them, you could have damaged the wire inside. If the wires are not damaged, be sure that they are fully connected to the spark plugs. There is a piece of metal inside the boot that has to snap onto the top of the plug. You should be able to feel it snap on when you push the wire fully onto the plug. Also, try to keep the wires from twisting around on another. In the picture, you've got the wires on the drivers side intertwined a little. Then check, re-check, and then check again all the other electrical connections, vacuum lines, air tube, clamps, etc that you touched during the process to be sure they are installed correctly and not broken.
Also, why were you changing the plugs? Was there a miss or a problem with the way it was running or were you just performing routine maintenance?

Last edited by scott d; 01-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Starting then dying sounds like a vacuum line to me.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 PM

vacuum lines are all put together. quadtriple checked. and even if I did break a wire then the truck would still start up it would just drop a cylinder, when it starts and the motors running for the split second it's def running on all 6. but yes tomorrow I will keep checking and re checking if the problem occurs i have a guy coming to look at it for me so we will see. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM

My truck used to do the start up/die thing. I learned that if i floored the accelerator for a half second before it had a chance to die, it would idle normally without dieing.

Doesn't sound like you've tried this, may be worth a shot. Also, try depressing the accelerator while starting. I'm having intermittent starting issues, where depressing the accelerator helps starting. Half of the time it starts normally.

My problem is most likely fuel related. I have yet to check the 12v+ inside the tank (from the connecter to the pump. I found another post about someone who found this wire corroded/falling apart causing the same issues i have.

You could try pusing the pedal while starting. It may be coincidence you're having these problems after doing plugs.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4biker
Did you take all of the plugs and wires off at once, or one at a time? If there are some wires that are run improperly, you won't be starting.
that was going to be my suggestion
when I got to the picture with all those empty plug holes , that line from the Dixie Chicks song "theres your trouble" went off in my head

I learned way back the hard way to only replace one wire and plug at a time
unless I plan on rechecking firing order anyway, or mark them well

and when I replace the plugs I replace the wires too. They tend to get damaged when pulling apart if they have been hot together for a long time, kinda like young couples

Last edited by dustrider; 01-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 PM

yes the plugs were done one at a time. after two mechanics, many days of hard work and time spend trying to find the problem the truck was finally closed up today to sit for a couple weeks tell I can afford to get it to a shop.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Name:  229290_227409000607161_100000141881394_1099145_6157923_n.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  50.4 KB

Does this this truck look like it wants too sit?? =( I mean just look at it! it wasn't made too sit for not even a week. it has 240,000 miles on it never any serious problems and a spark plug change brought it down. people are now telling me that the wrong spark plugs threw everything off and fried my wires. I look around the truck's engine compartment and there's little signs saying to only use the dual electrode plugs. It's all over the manual too.. I guess I never caught on too that now I have a truck that's out of time and possibly, most likely has some fried coils and fried spark plug wires. I'm hoping that's the worst that happen I guess after a diagnostic check we will know for sure. hopefully next week I'll get it checked out. again, thanks for everyone for trying to help
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The single electrode plugs of themselves did not cause your issues. Hope you get it back on the road soon.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude! Come On!! Spark plugs fried a moter. No offense but that just sounds dum.

And besides test you dang coil pack already. They don't lie.

My vote = you did something when you replaced the plugs. You might have to do some investigating.

Its like asking us to tell you were you left your keys!! Uhp.. there they are, in the ignition.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM

I know it does sound dumb! I don't get it neither does anyone else that's looked at it some people say it's serious others say it's a small problem and trust me I took the whole week off work to try and find the problem the coils were tested some have spark some don't it's wierd. I don't get it a simple diagnostic check is all it needs. it could use a tune up too so it's probly better off going to the shop anyway I got free towing so it shouldn't be too bad I ain't gonna spend anymore time or money on it when there's a simple solution
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Feel ya. Hate chasin electrical problems. Hopfully its cheap fix uhh. Let us know.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but try messuring the distance frome the spark plug seat (the part that touches the head) to the end of the nipple(the end that connects to the coil pack/wire). The picture you posted made the new ones look shorter then the old and it might not be making contact...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM

spark plugs are all working when the truck starts it def fires up all 6 before shutting down. After looking around we found the camshaft position sensor wires were all ripped up. looks like a pully was rubbing on it tearing it all up broke the ground wire I think not 100% sure yet. Basically not letting the fuel injection system work properly the truck's not getting any gas i guess. another guy with the right tools and knows whats really going on is coming to look at it in the next few days hopefully that's it guys! fingers crossed!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM

http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_21...COMA-3.4L.htm#
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey410
After looking around we found the camshaft position sensor wires were all ripped up. looks like a pully was rubbing on it tearing it all up broke the ground wire I think not 100% sure yet.

Basically not letting the fuel injection system work properly the truck's not getting any gas i guess. another guy with the right tools and knows whats really going on is coming to look at it in the next few days hopefully that's it guys! fingers crossed!
Oh, and the other part of the mechanic's golden rule. "Coincidences are rare, but they do happen."

You maybe get a few injection pulses, then shuts down when there is no signal from the crank position sensor. I hope that's it. It should be easy to change out.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM

wasn't the problem guys =(
Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey410
spark plugs are all working when the truck starts it def fires up all 6 before shutting down. After looking around we found the camshaft position sensor wires were all ripped up. looks like a pully was rubbing on it tearing it all up broke the ground wire I think not 100% sure yet. Basically not letting the fuel injection system work properly the truck's not getting any gas i guess. another guy with the right tools and knows whats really going on is coming to look at it in the next few days hopefully that's it guys! fingers crossed!
My camshaft sensor looks the same way, I think this is normal, maybe someone could verify this.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Can you keep it running at all? With throttle?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM

well guess what guys, it's been in the shop for two days now and they called and said it was the fuel pump. I guess it just happen to fail for some reason in the meantime of all the work that was done on it. it had been failing for a couple months before because like I think I said before the engine would crap out at 3,500rps and up and it's fuel injected so hopefully that's everything. can't wait to get it back on the road! thanks again everyone for the help I'm staying positive and just saying all the extra work I put into it was just learning the odds and end of the truck. I learned a lot in this whole process actually glad it happen because next time, if it's something i can't find it's going straight to the shop rather then trying to go threw everything to find the problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM

DANG!

See I tole ya, you learn the most when it's icky. Doesn't make it any more fun though.

Hope you got your answer there.

Weird coincidence tho'

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM after replacing spark plugs