Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best OBD II Reader out there!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best OBD II Reader out there!

This may be old hat for some of you guys but I just wanted to share what I have been using for pulling codes and maintaining the beast in top condition.

Since Palm pilots are getting extreemly cheap nowadays (you can get a Palm III or handspring visor for like $15-20 oon ebay now) that you should put one in your toolbox too. I fix em so I got a nice color unit to put in there (gives better contrast on the graphs).

The problem with most OBD II scan tools is that if they provide a a lot of information on the screen, you need a high resolution screen and do have this you need to develop it through R&D, R&D costs money and thus the cost is passed on to you the consumer. I am pointing this out because Palm has already done the R&D work on the high resolution screen for you and spread the cost over millions of consumers rather than the much smaller group the dedicated OBD tool makers have. The best part is that the Palm is essentially a super portable computer so you can take it with you in the care and even view it in your hand while driving (don't reccomend this though...have a buddy look at it for you). The Palm is also fully upgradeable so as new software comes out, just hotsync it and away you go with new added features.

I actually love my unit from Auterra www.auterraweb.com because many of the PC and other handheld based units have failed to continuously update their software (so it isn't any better than the day you bought it). If you have a Palm based device already I urge you to go to their download section and get the software...it's totally free and so are all future upgrades!!! try it out in demo mode and I bet you will be impressed as I was. I bring it on road trips with me so I can diagnose if there is a problem and I can't tell you the number of codes I have pulled for friends vehicles. I have even had people pay me $30 (cheap for them and works for me too...almost got it paid off that way....but I didn't really get it to make money, just save me money and has it ever!!!) to pull codes and shut off the check engine light (all options in the software). Forget looking up the codes in a book, this thing does it all for you....it is just awesome!

So to sum it up, the only thing you need to buy is the hardware.....so you need a Palm, Sony or Handspring PDA, a serial sync cable for the PDA and the adapter (which is the most expensive part of the setup but is also avalable on ebay...mine was $160....prices will vary, but there are a bunch currently on there). All in all you gotta at least try it and at about $200 fully set up with a palm and all.....how can you go wrong!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-30-2003 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:37 AM

Looks like fun... Having the mini dyno built-in is nice.

btw, your comment about R&D costs is a little sideways. In the same vein, you can say that "Microsoft has already done the R&D work on the high resolution screen for you and spread the cost over millions of consumers...".

It does seem that this Palm software has evolved more than other PC based OBD II tools. It's certainly a kewler solution than pulling a laptop out to the truck.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
Looks like fun... Having the mini dyno built-in is nice.

btw, your comment about R&D costs is a little sideways. In the same vein, you can say that "Microsoft has already done the R&D work on the high resolution screen for you and spread the cost over millions of consumers...".

It does seem that this Palm software has evolved more than other PC based OBD II tools. It's certainly a kewler solution than pulling a laptop out to the truck.
Guess what I meant to say is that to get an OBD that shows the same amount of info, your gonna have to pay alot more for another solution. There, that is a little less twisted...

I am big on the portability thing....sux to take the laptop out into the bush with you. Hate to get that wet by accident....:cry:...........

I hope in the future maybe they will include a feature to let you play with the fuel map too.

Wow....I just looked and I haven't upgraded to the new 4.0 version....sahweet! I am telling ya these guys are on top of it. By far the best palm based OBD software out there.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-30-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Guess what I meant to say is that to get an OBD that shows the same amount of info, your gonna have to pay alot more for another solution.
Do you mean _including_ the cost of a laptop? Yeah, I agree.

I hope in the future maybe they will include a feature to let you play with the fuel map too.
I dunno that you can through the OBD port.

The protocol is defined to be bi-directional, but I don't think that everyone has implemented it. If I remember right, the manufacturers adoption agreement only mandates the read-only side, not the control side. So, you may find that you can alter things on a Ford (for example) but not a Toyota.

I don't know that I've seen any reader that can claim to write to a Toyota. But you do see ads for those that can upload maps and such to other manufacturers.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Mark,

Are you using a PC based system?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Hey Mark,

Are you using a PC based system?
Yeup... I've been using this one since about the beginning of the year:

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

I've also gotten it to succesfully run on a Mac under Virtual PC. I have words about that here:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/obd.html
Old 07-30-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting this:

http://www.enginemate.com/

But not totally sure yet... still looking around....
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Very cool and simple setup.....hardware is cheaper (minus the laptop.........although there are some very cheap old laptops coming on the market too now as people upgrade)
Looks like they do similar things. Haven't tried the dyno on the auterra yet.....we'll see what that is all about.

Do they upgrade the software with your OBD device often?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Re: ...

Originally posted by Ducky

That seems way too expensive for what is does.....IMHO.
If you have a Pocket PC machine then just buy an el cheapo Palm device and the Auterra unit for much cheaper. You can get it all very cheap off of ebay. I would say definately under $200.

Does look like a nice setup anyway.

The best part of all is that these OBD II units work on almost any car after 1996 not just Toyotas!!!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-30-2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:52 AM

There's also this for PC's

http://obddiagnostics.com/

I think Rob has one....

Heck Free SW, you can either pay for the unit, or use the diagram and build one...
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 AM

Hey Ducky... Are you coming down to the Jam this weekend? If so, I'll bring my setup with me so that you can at least see one option in action. It's laptop based, but it may help you see what's up.

I agree with MTL_4runner, the EngineMate seems really expensive for what it gives you.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:58 AM

I don't think i can make it to the Jam this year... sorry. This whole past month and this month has been tight for money for any kind of recreation...

I might MIGHT be able to goto the WATTORA pass run though.

do you have the same one Rob has?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:03 AM

I don't think i can make it to the Jam this year... sorry. This whole past month and this month has been tight for money for any kind of recreation...

I might MIGHT be able to goto the WATTORA pass run though.
'k.

do you have the same one Rob has?
Basically yeah, he may have the BR-3 model which handles some imports which run a different protocol.

So, if you've seen his, then you've seen mine.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know where I could find easily the drag coefficient and frontal area for a 2003 4Runner Sport? I just received the obd scanner from auterra...so far I am very satisfied
Old 01-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

There's also this for PC's

http://obddiagnostics.com/

I think Rob has one....

Heck Free SW, you can either pay for the unit, or use the diagram and build one...
Nope, I have this one, http://www.obd-2.com/
Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by LIVE4SWELL
Does anyone know where I could find easily the drag coefficient and frontal area for a 2003 4Runner Sport? I just received the obd scanner from auterra...so far I am very satisfied

I did some math for the front-end size of mine (96 4Runner) and got 32.6 sqft of area and a Cd of 0.42. it seems to fit with the rest of the fun in that section.

Enjoy!

Mark
Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

This is the one I've been using for over a year now, fully upgradeable and works great!

http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html