Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before and after pics and my new toy

This was when I first got my 4runner:

[IMG][/IMG]

Since then my list of things I've done to it include:

-Taking off the running boards
-Removing those nasty gold emblems and put some pearl black yota emblems but left most of it naked. Just the two toyota emblems were installed.
-I put the BFG 265/75 tires on and I love them.
-Put a TRD sticker on my back window
-Purchased the weathertech rear lining for my dog and a net to stop my dog from crawling on my leather.

I got my tires installed on Saturday and were at my girlfriends family cookout and what do you know someone needs help getting out of a raveen. I jump up and volunteer. I drive over to see the damage and I come to find a Dodge Ram 1500 with a wood chipper attached to it stuck in mud. The guy sees my 4runner and I can tell right away he's not sure it can handle getting it out. We get it hooked up and by this time we have a nice crowd gathered around looking at us. With the first pull I get him right out and the tires don't even spin at all. I was so proud of my baby and the guy afterward started saying to me that toyota's are very reliable cars and let me take his H-D V-rod out for a spin haha.

So here it is now. Let me know what you guys think and any mods you would recommend

And here is my new commuter/toy that gives 60mpg

Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 PM

Honestly, I say put in some coils in the rear to bring up the ass-end just a bit, and then just enjoy it as it is for a while. Maybe some sliders to have even just to keep rocks down and accessing the roof. Other than that I say leave it since it looks pretty clean right now.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Looks way better without the running boards. Truck is looking good.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Honestly, I say put in some coils in the rear to bring up the ass-end just a bit, and then just enjoy it as it is for a while. Maybe some sliders to have even just to keep rocks down and accessing the roof. Other than that I say leave it since it looks pretty clean right now.
Any coils you would recommend as well as sliders? The rocks are pissing me off. Thanks

Originally Posted by crews462
Looks way better without the running boards. Truck is looking good.
Thanks! I'm trying to get a nice collection of my dream cars started and I have this and my bike next is a bmw2002.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Well is it a 99 or an 00'? It all really depends on what you want out of your rig, but some OME906's or Performance product springs are usually a safe bet for bumping up any sagging without getting into the larger lifts.
As for the sliders, there are many many options now for 3rd gens. Personally I have some trailgear 60' with the kickout and I think they are a good bang for your buck. My buddy did some really cool fabbing so the sliders are removable.
Actually a really good thing to do if the rocks are starting is to go to a place that does the 3M protection film and get them to put some down the rear door area. I got a shop here to make some "dog-leg" cutouts for my flares and have stopped any rocks from chipping off the paint. Pretty cheap too..about 20 bucks a side.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The scooped hoods look awesome in black
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Well is it a 99 or an 00'? It all really depends on what you want out of your rig, but some OME906's or Performance product springs are usually a safe bet for bumping up any sagging without getting into the larger lifts.
As for the sliders, there are many many options now for 3rd gens. Personally I have some trailgear 60' with the kickout and I think they are a good bang for your buck. My buddy did some really cool fabbing so the sliders are removable.
Actually a really good thing to do if the rocks are starting is to go to a place that does the 3M protection film and get them to put some down the rear door area. I got a shop here to make some "dog-leg" cutouts for my flares and have stopped any rocks from chipping off the paint. Pretty cheap too..about 20 bucks a side.
On the trdparts4u it says that it will give me a 2" lift in the rear with the OME 906's. If I do this will my car then be lifted higher in the rear than in the front? I believe that's the rake look I'm talking about. Also what else would I need to buy other than the coils if I went with the OME 906's. I'm pretty sure I would new struts but would I also need some new shocks?

I don't know why it didn't cross my mind to do the the 3m lining thanks for the suggestion I will be looking into that real soon.

Originally Posted by toytech76
The scooped hoods look awesome in black
I look at least twice a week for it and I found one in TN but they won't ship it to me. nonetheless that is something that's at the top of my list to do.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 AM

BTW it's a 99
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Very clean man. Reminds me a little bit of my old Runner.

The back end is sagging a little bit but it looks fine to me. The only time I think it would be an issue is if you're hauling something.

I like how you've kept it close to stock looking, the tires add a lot.
Looks to be in great shape too!

Fink
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sharp looking truck...I like it the way it is....maybe add some body protection and a small lift...keep it simple
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 AM

lift the sag, ANY LOCKERS? looks great.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Honestly man, I wouldn't lift it. I did and the mods didn't stop after that.

I'm keeping my Taco stock except for the muds I just put on and I couldn't be happier.

Your Runner is definitely slick as it is.

Fink
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Very clean man. Reminds me a little bit of my old Runner.

The back end is sagging a little bit but it looks fine to me. The only time I think it would be an issue is if you're hauling something.

I like how you've kept it close to stock looking, the tires add a lot.
Looks to be in great shape too!

Fink
very nice! the paint on your old runner looks unreal almost flawless for being a 99. Had you just waxed it prior to taking those pics? You should've sold me that hood before getting rid of it.

Thanks for the compliments everyone else. I've already been aware of the slight sag I have going on but don't know what the best option for me to take care of it is. I will look into the OME 906's I just don't want anything crazy I would like to keep it road friendly as well as having a slight edge to it. And will do the body protection because if I don't I can kiss my paint away-those damn rocks.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Love it! And don't let these guys tell you your back end is sagging.

You are really making me want to get 265/75's, those look great even without a lift.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Love it! And don't let these guys tell you your back end is sagging.

You are really making me want to get 265/75's, those look great even without a lift.
Oh no worries I love my car I wouldn't let anyone talk about it haha. But I have been a little down about that rear sagging I was hoping before I posted nobody would say anything about it.

Get the 267/75's you'll love it. And they look awesome on my buddies taco I think the taco's show it off a little better than the runner's do.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM

looks nice, its almost identical to mine. the only suggestion i have is to tint the windows, i think it makes a truck look great, especially a black one.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatHLC128
looks nice, its almost identical to mine. the only suggestion i have is to tint the windows, i think it makes a truck look great, especially a black one.

Yea looks are nice and all but (trying) to wheel with tinted windows sucks balls!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 AM

mine doesnt leave the pavement as much as i would like...unfortunately i live in the suburbs of NYC.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jrb23
Oh no worries I love my car I wouldn't let anyone talk about it haha. But I have been a little down about that rear sagging I was hoping before I posted nobody would say anything about it.

Get the 267/75's you'll love it. And they look awesome on my buddies taco I think the taco's show it off a little better than the runner's do.
Yeah it's probably one of those things that only people who know a lot about 4Runners would even notice. But I know you will be happy with it once you find a mild lift for the rear. That's the problem though, is there an option that won't lift the back too high? You don't want to be forced to lift the front also. Overall it looks awesome as it sits right now.

And I'm looking forward to putting some bigger meats under the Taco, it should look more aggressive if I go with 265/75-16. 4Runners and Tacos with bigger tires and lifts remind me of the Stompers toys my brother and I had as kids.

Pat your truck is bad a$$, black with the hoodscoop is hotness. And tint on a black vehicle looks perfect, just not too dark or you get the "limo" look.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by PatHLC128
mine doesnt leave the pavement as much as i would like...unfortunately i live in the suburbs of NYC.
How do those tires treat you without front mud flaps?

Quick Reply: before and after pics and my new toy