Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB vs. TJM???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB vs. TJM???

Okay guys lets hear it, what are your opinions on both ARB and TJM's bull bars. Good, bad, whatever I wanna hear it all. I e-mailed Mike @ Extream Offroad and the ARB is alot less than that TJM but doesn't require sahving the frame rails. I don't liek the idea of shaving my frame much but I really have prefered the ARB looks. Is shaving your frame rails all that bad for the truck? But mostly just let me know what you guys think would be a a better choice here. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:27 PM

Re: ARB vs. TJM???

I think the ARB is better constructed and better looking than the TJM...
Old 05-19-2003, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

If you get the ARB fitted for the Toyota Prado it will bolt up without any cutting.
I had the first Prado bumper that was imported to the U.S. installed on my old '97.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 AM
DSP

Hey Stump...
My TJM-15 is about a month old and what can i say...
I was in your boat about 2 months ago...
I really wanted the ARB.
But after taking a hard look at both I went TJM.
I like the the beefier bull bar on the front, The approach angle is much better, and the thing installed on my car in about 30 minutes.
When I say beefier bar...I mean the tubing in front is thicker than the ARB.

You obviously can't go wrong with either so at least you got that going for you.
Just get rid of that crappy plastic bumper and you'll be miles ahead!!

-DSP
Old 05-19-2003, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure which models you're deciding between, but here's my take. The ARB will be stronger unit, is all one piece, is a direct bolt-on, and the price is apparently less which are its advantages.

The TJM (assuming it's a T15) will have a better approach angle as it won't stick out near as far out or down and I like the looks of them much better, but you say that's not the case for you. The TJM will also probably be around 30 pounds lighter. The sides are separate pieces which is really my only dislike about them.

Thus far, it looks like the ARB is the bumper for you. Also, it's not that cutting of the frame ends are bad, but you'd just need to put a bracket back on if you were going to remount the stock bumper.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:55 AM

I was looking into getting a TJM as well, but I didn'tknow that you had to do some frame shaving for it! which one(s) require you to shave the frame???
Old 05-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Only the T15's are a direct bolt-on app for the 99-02 4Runners.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

hey mike ... I talked to mike (xtreme off road) and he told me the TJM does not require any shaving, and is pretty much an easy install ... he also said the ARB requires some mods to make it fit.

also price wise, I thought the difference between the ARB and the TJM (with hoops) is under a $100.

someone correct me if I'm wrong .... also if somone finds a good price for the TJM let me know.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

"Hey bud, the TJM I have is $709.99 and requires not frame modifications…The ARB is $610.00 and requires you shave the frame rails. Personally, I did not like the idea of messing around with the frame rails, therefore, I decided on the TJM.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!!"

This is a direct copy of my e-mail from Mike, there the prices that we are looking at. It's almost an exact $100 difference. I have bene looking at everyone's rig on here that has either an ARB or a TJM and I really really likethe TJM now. I know that they have the wea point of nt being ONE soild peice but I reall like the astectics of it now. The ARB just seems like it doesn't fit all that well or isn' really madefor the 4Runner, duh because it's made for the Austrailian Prado version. I love the idea of the T-15 just being a bolt on system, I rather do the work myself and not pay someone to do the ARB becuase I would not be comfortable doing the shaving on my own. So in my mind right now, I need to get at least $800 bucks saved up, $709 plus over sized UPS shipping. Hmm I better get a secod job:cry: , that's just fine thoug, all in the name of making my 4Runner THE ONE to be seen around High Point and Greensboro, I wanna be that guy that everyone talks about seeing on the road. Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work I go. . Thanks guys.

EDIT: Hey I just now saw that someone posted that the T-15 is a direct bolt on for 99-02 Runners, what about 96-98 is it still just a bolt on application for early model 3rd gens. Let me know.

Last edited by Stump1883; 05-19-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
DSP

[QUOTE Hey I just now saw that someone posted that the T-15 is a direct bolt on for 99-02 Runners, what about 96-98 is it still just a bolt on application for early model 3rd gens. Let me know. [/B][/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, the only difference will be the mounting brackets on the front of your frame....
These are supplied by TJM. Just make sure Mike@Offroad knows the correct year. ('96-'98's are slightly different than late model 3rd gens.)
Otherwise, the bumper is the exact same model and will bolt directly on.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by INsr5runner
I was looking into getting a TJM as well, but I didn'tknow that you had to do some frame shaving for it! which one(s) require you to shave the frame???
whoa, ease up there. what year 4runner do you have?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

well i was kinda undecided, but the TJM choice is sounding better to me now. one question tho - can it be made to fit with a body lift (1.5inch)? is it just a matter of getting some special brackets made or what?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:13 PM

whoa, ease up there. what year 4runner do you have?
I've got a 2000 sr5 4wd
Old 05-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

As far as I know it will be just fine w/ a body lift, from what I have read it is just like any other bumper and all you need is the bracketsto raise it up jsut as if it was a stock bumper. I'm planning on doing the 1.5" BL to, so that is a major thing for me as well.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

hey mike (extreme-off road)-
how about a group buy price on the TJM .... There seems to be a lot of interest here.

You give us a good price (since we all have to work a second job to pay for it) , and well each send you a case of beer
Old 05-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

He had them (T15's) for about $520 last September on the group buy. You got to take the opportunities like that when they arise. That was when there were like 12 of us who got them all at the same time. Back in a time when modified 3rd Gens were popping up in a town near you.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:45 PM

well. For $700 you could buy my bumper. It will bolt up with no mods whatsoever. It uses stock turn signal lights so no wiring. You can have this bumper on in 10 minutes. I make my bumpers to fit perfectly on ANY body lift. No brackets.
I am building one for a 95 forerunner this week. Check out my pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/zedex1100
Old 05-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

He had them (T15's) for about $520 last September on the group buy. You got to take the opportunities like that when they arise.
Man I wish I coud have taken advantage of roup buy like that . But drring that time last year I was in the processes of liting, I remember that group buy and wanted in on it sooooo bad, but I thought a stock height Runner with a bull bar would just look stupid so I figured get the lift done first.

Mike, is there ANY WAY we can possibly get another group buy on the T-15s again, it seems we have aot of prospective cusomers here again.

Any ways thanks for all the insigh gys, it has helped alot, and the more and more I look at sites that you guys have for your rigs the more and more this bull bar idea becomes apealing, and the more willing I am to work 40hr weeks and get anothe job on top of that, I'm sure Home Depot apeciates it, I bitch alot less about my sechdual now .
Old 05-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

I really like my ARB Tacoma bull bar on my 97 4runner SR5. It fits perfectly and lines up with the flares. The ARB bumpers are very well made and stand up to lots of abuse. Shaving the extra edges of the frame rail was no big deal. All you really need to do is trim off some extra metal that has no effect on the strength of the fram. It only added around 5-10 mintues to the install time and you can still mount the stock bumper if you want to. TJMs look pretty cool too though.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:46 AM

I would be interested in that group buy too!

Hey Scott, you could join the beggars at the intersection in front of HD with a sign that reads "Will work for bull bar".

Unfortunately, you'd have to compete with the woman who's a diabetic

Last edited by Beachrunner; 05-20-2003 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: ARB vs. TJM???