Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anything to watch for on a '99 Taco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anything to watch for on a '99 Taco?

I'm going to go look at a '99 taco that looks like everything I want. It'll be my first yota, so I'm not real familiar with them yet. Anything I should watch for? Good or bad?

Thanks!!!
Melody
Old 09-13-2003, 09:10 AM

brainy, "are you tough enough to drive a tacoma"?
Old 09-13-2003, 09:17 AM

You'd better believe it!

Heck yeah! I'm not some little petite twig, I'm 5'10", and my first car was an '86 GMC Jimmy (fullsize) 4x4. I have a '71 Chevelle and a 2000 Trans Am w/ Ram Air. I grew up in the country, but moved to the city for my job. I like getting dirty and playin' with the boys.

Any more ?'s?
Old 09-13-2003, 09:20 AM

whoa momma...
Old 09-13-2003, 09:32 AM

If you want, I bet one of the stl guys would be glad to check out the taco for you. PM Poboy, he's a good guy I know.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Anything to watch for on a '99 Taco?

Originally posted by BrainyBlonde
I'm going to go look at a '99 taco that looks like everything I want. It'll be my first yota, so I'm not real familiar with them yet. Anything I should watch for? Good or bad?

Thanks!!!
Melody
We will need a few more details. There's nothing inherently wrong or right with a '99.

4 or 6 cyl?
4x4 or 4x2?
TRD or non-TRD?
XCab or Standard Cab?
Mileage?
Condition?
What tires does it have on it?
Does the owner have maintanance records?
Price?
Etc.

The more you can provide, the better we can help you make a decision.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Details...

Yeah, details might help huh? hehe

It's a v6, 4x4, ext cab, 5spd, 58xxx miles. The ad doesn't say anything about the TRD package, but it has the stickers for it. (what's an easy way to check for the package so I don't buy a poser?)
From the picture it looks to be in good shape, can't tell what tires, but it's got stock wheels.
bucket seats w/ console, ps, pb, p windows, p locks, sliding rear glass, cruise, a/c, intermittent wipers, AM/FM cd & cassette, chrome rear step bumper, tilt steering, bug shield, no bedliner,
basically looks like a commuter vehicle.

VIN: 4TAWN72N7XZ556711

$13,995
Old 09-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds promising so far.

As it sounds like you are aware, TRD stickers do not a TRD make. The main component of the package that you would be interested in, beyond the decals, is the rear locker. The easiest way to check for that is to look at the rear differential from the rear of the truck. If the drain plug is on the drivers side, it's got the electric locker, if it's on the passenger side, it does not. You can also look at the dash to the left of the wheel for a button that says "RR Lock" or similar.

Other than that, the TRD package contains stuff like shocks and springs that you are likely to be replacing anyway if you hang around this crowd long enough...
Old 09-13-2003, 10:01 AM

Thanks WATRD!

I'm probably going to go look at it today, so I'll probably come back with more ?'s later.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

No problem. Take some photos and come back here with questions. This board is heavily weighted toward the 4Runner set, but there are enough Tacoma heads around that you will get answers. Plus, some things are common between the Tacoma and the 4Runner so we get to cross-pollinate a bit from time to time

It sounds like you know your way around vehicles, so I am sure you know the obvious stuff to look for. Tacoma's are pretty durable, so if it doesn't have smoke pouring out the tail-pipe or it doesn't sag badly to one side or any one of a number of other obvious defects, it's likely in pretty good shape.

Look for dents in the skid plate, those are a pretty good sign it has been well used... not a deal breaker, but worthy of noting. Look for paint matching in the engine compartment to see of it has been wrecked. Look for odd wear on the tires and when you drive it, make sure it tracks straight.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by WATRD; 09-13-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD
No problem. Take some photos and come back here with questions. This board is heavily weighted toward the 4Runner set, but there are enough Tacoma heads around that you will get answers.
It also doesn't hurt that you're a female posting on a forum filled with "interested" guys. (Horny just makes it sound too dirty)
Old 09-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MNBOY
It also doesn't hurt that you're a female posting on a forum filled with "interested" guys. (Horny just makes it sound too dirty)
She's off the market Dude! (see her introduction thread)

So, that means she gets the same treatment as all the newbie's Questions answered and encouragement...
Old 09-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a good find Melody. How did the scouting trip go?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD
She's off the market Dude! (see her introduction thread)

So, that means she gets the same treatment as all the newbie's Questions answered and encouragement...
Touchy, touchy Rob. You sound like you have some experience protecting a younger sister. I was only commenting that it may get her some extra attention, and I did read her intro. I would never think of being anything but encouraging.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:09 PM

I must say that is a very good price for that TACOMA.

I've been slighty looking at the TACOMA's here, and for that year, with the same specs, they're running near 16K's and if it's automatic (which is what I want) you may catch the price at 17.5K.

Is this TACOMA being sold at a dealer, or from a private seller?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:53 PM

My lucky day!

Well, the hubby and I went and checked it out. It's a very clean truck in great shape, even the engine bay was clean. No signs of abuse anywhere, looks like it's never been off-roading! It has a tonneau that lifts off like a hard lid w/ locking tailgate and it has a latch bolted into the bed for holding a bike by the front forks. It was a leased vehicle. It's being sold at a Toyota dealership (Ackerman for the St. Louisans), still has the manual & stuff. It's a solid drive too, easy shifting, decent acceleration. It does have the electric locker, so I'm guessing it's still got the other TRD package stuff. The tires are fairly aggressive and look pretty new. (forgot to write down the make & size, but they're on stock wheels)

It seems too good to be true, but we couldn't find anything wrong with it, other than it's white and the pinstripes and TRD decals make it look a little goofy. The cab seemed a little small, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to make myself at home.

Went ahead and bought a carfax account, and that came up clean too. If the dealer will give me a good price for my Trans Am , it'll be mine!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, soulds like you found a real gem. Congrats! If its a leased vehicle, can you request the service records? That's always something good to look at too.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:47 PM

True indeed.

You sure can't beat a truck like that for that price.

And hey, TRD DECALS ARE NOT GOOFY!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MNBOY
Touchy, touchy Rob. You sound like you have some experience protecting a younger sister. I was only commenting that it may get her some extra attention, and I did read her intro. I would never think of being anything but encouraging.
heheheheh Very intuitive of you heheheeh
Old 09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Melody,

Any more news?? Did ya get it??

Quick Reply: Anything to watch for on a '99 Taco?