Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone swap a 4.7L iFORCE V8 into a Taco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone swap a 4.7L iFORCE V8 into a Taco?

Anyone? Into a 2.7L Taco. Would it even fit? What tranny would someone use? What else would be needed? How much would this cost?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahaahaha this would cost an unbeliveable amount of money...even if the motor would fit you would need an entire donor vehicle and you would need the entire driveline because your tranny isnt going to even remotely bolt up to that motor

your looking at probably spending $20-30,000 in this swap...haha

lets see what everyone else has to say
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner

your looking at probably spending $20-30,000 in this swap...haha
I say you have had a few too many . 20-30K? Not a chance. People have done this - I've *heard* of two. Finding a wrecked '00-01 Tundra would be doable. The hard part isn't acquiring the parts, it's making them fit - it's a pretty wide engine. From there, it's just a wiring issue.

Closer to $6-8K, I'd guess, depending on price of engine and custom items - not including labor.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockota
I say you have had a few too many . 20-30K? Not a chance. People have done this - I've *heard* of two. Finding a wrecked '00-01 Tundra would be doable. The hard part isn't acquiring the parts, it's making them fit - it's a pretty wide engine. From there, it's just a wiring issue.

Closer to $6-8K, I'd guess, depending on price of engine and custom items - not including labor.
haha exactly my point...making it fit...your gonan need to fab up mounts if it fits in straight up if it doesnt your gonna need to mod the body and or frame to get it to fit..the labor on all of this and getting the new engine in would add up realllly fast. my guesstimate might be a little high but this isnt going to be a cheap mod. would be a lot cheaper if you ahve time time to fab all of this up yourself and do all of the wiring and tuning and ..haha wow so much would need done.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

do a turbo set up like others, make your runner fast as crap
Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

The width of the engine is the largest challange. If you want to stick with the auto tranny, then the rest shouldn't be a big deal imo. The wiring is not hard as long as you have the proper diagrams of both donor and your vehicle.
When I replaced my 3.4 the junkyard had a couple of toy v8s. He said that stuff doesn't move because there is no demand for it yet. He wasn't asking that much more for the i-force then I paid for the 3.4. I couldn't afford the downtime, so I stuck with the 3.4.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:39 PM

why? thats like me putting a corvette engine in a cavalier, itd work, but its so pointless that its great, just stick with what u got, were offroaders, not drag racers
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hamstrungtaco
why? thats like me putting a corvette engine in a cavalier, itd work, but its so pointless that its great, just stick with what u got, were offroaders, not drag racers
Now If you'd said to put a cavalier engine in a corvette, I would agree that's useless. It would defenately be nice to have the v8, but then I use the 4runner on a daily basis for work. I also pull a trailer on a regular basis.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:05 PM

As far as I know, you're going to need to probably replace the front and rear ends to do this swap. From what I've heard from the local dealership, the rear ends they put in the first year or two in the Tundra were the same, or very similar to that of the TAcoma. And accordingly many "Tundra" diff's were sent packing. I'm sure the Tacoma diff could probalby handle it, but they aren't as stout as the Tundra LSD Diff which was properly made to deal with this engines torque.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind that the diffs have less load because it is driving a lighter truck. You can always tackle that problem if and when the diff goes.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Alright, As far as the price figures that people have posted....they are way off. "Rockota" was close if you don't shop around. I've looked and have found good engines for as little a $2000. You can pick up an ECU and wiring harness for as little as $800. I know that you can find these in the price ranges that I listed because I was going to drop one in my 93 Celica, but I've decided to get rid of the car since I can't even afford my 4Runner right now.

You asked about the larger current Tundra engine. While the fitment will be the same, it's best to go with an older 4.0L 1UZ-FE. The reason is that these engines are pre-VVT-i. This means easier wiring. Also the '94-95 engines had better valve angles and higher flowing head....I could be wrong on the years(working off the top of my head). Since you have the 3RZ-FE in your Tacoma already, you're ahead of the game. The W59 will hold up great with the V8 and it should be just a matter of swapping out bellhousings with one that you can find if you do some research.....oops that's another $900 to add to the project cost.

Someone brought up the axles. This might be a weak link since they are Toyota 8.4" rear axles in the Tacoma. The Supra used the older 8" found on the older trucks and 4Runner. Possibly the older Tacos too ('95-00), but not sure about that.

Basically, I'd say that Rockota was close with his guess on cost, but I'd say it could be done for as little as $5000 plus labor or alot of knowledge on your part.

I just looked into some of my old links that I was using for research on my Celica and found this: http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/

I haven't read any of it and it's the older body style Taco, but it proves that it can be done.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:55 PM

I'll be the voice of reason since I'm in the process of something similar. First things first, what trans do you have? Doing a manual trans is expensive with this motor due to the custom bits required to make it work. You need a custom bellhousing - only place making these are in Australia and New Zealand among other parts and also fooling the ECU that it doesn't have an auto. Automatic is MUCH easier.

The older motors are supposed to be easier due to wiring as stated above. Regarding costs, not as much as you'd think.

My budget is $2000.

1UZFE Engine - $850 (+$150 shipping)
Engine ECU - $100
Engine Wiring Harness - $100
1UZFE AFM - $150

For the auto, all that is needed is either a donor LS400 trans that can be converted to 4WD rather easily, or just the bellhousing to bolt up to you existing 4WD auto trans. I'm planning the converted LS400 trans for compatibility and less headaches. I found on elocally for $300. I just need an output and tailhousing from a a340f trans for the conversion. That's $1650 thus far.

I'm hoping to do the other odds and ends for the $350 left, but I'll also be selling off the unused engine parts too to fund any overage. Hoping for $2k out of pocket or less after the chips fall.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 PM

Does anyone know if anyone has done a 4.5 liter Inline 6 swap out of a Lexus LX450 or Landcruiser (96/97-ish) into a taco or 89-95 pickup???? All I've heard is this swap is probably a bit difficult due to the length of the Inline 6, but has anyone actually tried it and gotten it done successfully? That's 212 HP and 275 ft-lbs of torque. Only problem I could see running into with this engine is that I think it was only designed to work with an auto tranny where as I have a manual.

The other one I'm curious about is a swap of the 3.0 I-6 out of the Lexis IS300 (newer model i.e. 2002-plus say) into a pickup or tacoma. Now this engine comes with either a 5 speed auto or 5 speed manual, so it might work with our pickups tranny. I think this engine has something like 215 HP and 220 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only Toyota V8 swap I have seen is this:
http://www.geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 AM
lee
Contributing Member

theres this one too:

http://www.boosted4runner.com/index1.htm
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Does anyone know if anyone has done a 4.5 liter Inline 6 swap out of a Lexus LX450 or Landcruiser (96/97-ish) into a taco or 89-95 pickup???? All I've heard is this swap is probably a bit difficult due to the length of the Inline 6, but has anyone actually tried it and gotten it done successfully? That's 212 HP and 275 ft-lbs of torque. Only problem I could see running into with this engine is that I think it was only designed to work with an auto tranny where as I have a manual.

The other one I'm curious about is a swap of the 3.0 I-6 out of the Lexis IS300 (newer model i.e. 2002-plus say) into a pickup or tacoma. Now this engine comes with either a 5 speed auto or 5 speed manual, so it might work with our pickups tranny. I think this engine has something like 215 HP and 220 ft-lbs of torque.
Alright, Cebby has pretty much fortified what I said other than the tranny info that he offered up. I've not heard of tranny problems using a W59 tranny other than the bell housing, which he is correct about the only place to get them. They are like $900USD.

He has also proves that you can do the swap for very cheap and has obviously done alot of homework.

Now, why after seeing what he and I have said would you want to consider using an inline 6 that makes the same amount of HP and less torque? Another thing is that you were dead set on using a 2JZ series engine, it would be wiser to use the older engines that are pre-VVT-i. I know of alot of very experienced and knowledgable people that would tackle the older engines way before the newer VVT-i engines. Also, alot of the newer ECUs control more functions on the car other than engine function. This is what makes the older engines easier to work with.

I just thing that if you're going to take an inexpensive vehicle and swap and engine in it, you should make cost and ease of install in mind. The best bang for the buck as far as any engine swap in any Toyota/Lexus is the 1UZ-FE. I've even seen people turbocharging and twin turbocharging these engines. I'd stick to this if I were to do a swap.

PS- a 2JZ swap will cost you big money.......newer or older engine because these engine are in such high demand.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM

While on this topic I was interested if a 1UZ could be swapped into a 3rd gen 4runner. I will be contemplating the swap in about 110k which shoule be about a 1 1/2 years. Is everyone still on the same idea that the vvti is a bad idea? because I think that it would be my choice engine. I have an auto so from what Ive read thats good. Anyone ventured far enough in to this one to come up with a parts list, so I can start shopping. I also had grand visions of a SC but with the current fuel prices I couldnt afford the premium of having to run it in the V8.

Thanks Again

Aaron
Old 06-26-2006, 01:41 PM

vvti is too complicated - or at least that's the general consensus.

I've been working off and on doing my 1UZ into a 2nd Gen. 3rd Gen has more room in the engine bay, so it should be an easier fit.

Auto is much easier than manual from an availability perspective.

Here's my swap:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=1uzfe
Old 06-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Exclamation

I have a 2000 Tundra 2UZFE motor with trans sitting in my garage. I got the computer as well. The only thing I'am lacking is a wiring harness. I'am putting it in my 93 2WD. I got the motor and trans cheap. The hardest part about my swap is that I basically can run only the Tundra automatic transmission unless I want to fork over the dough and spend $700 for an adapter bellhousing to run a manual transmission. Heck the boys in Austrailia done this many times in their trucks. It isn't going to coast $10k, not even$8k, probably way less than that. Let's just say so for I have less than $3 in mine. I have been asking about a wiring harness on a couple of sites as well. The motor I got has the harness but it was cut. Here is the link: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index.php?

James