Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

another tires question(pressure,mixing tires ect..)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another tires question(pressure,mixing tires ect..)

Hi all,

I just bought some muddy 31x10.5x15 for my 1991 4runner.Due to low cash flow i have 2 used tires on the front and two new on the rear.I wondering if that can involve some problems to drive like that .I had noticed a height difference between used tires and new(of course)(approx 3/4 inch) .I also want to know at with pressure i should air them when i drive on the pavement for a non-bouncing ride.The guy at the shop put in 40 psi in each one.Seem a bit high for me.

And the last question,

it's concern auxilary lightning wiring.

I have a switch(with 3 connections) that light on when my lights are on.
no problem for the positive and negative but were do you wire the third for illuminating the swith ???

sorry for bad spelling and thanks for any help.

Mr.Spock
Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock
Hi all,

I just bought some muddy 31x10.5x15 for my 1991 4runner.Due to low cash flow i have 2 used tires on the front and two new on the rear.I wondering if that can involve some problems to drive like that .I had noticed a height difference between used tires and new(of course)(approx 3/4 inch) .I also want to know at with pressure i should air them when i drive on the pavement for a non-bouncing ride.The guy at the shop put in 40 psi in each one.Seem a bit high for me.

And the last question,

it's concern auxilary lightning wiring.

I have a switch(with 3 connections) that light on when my lights are on.
no problem for the positive and negative but were do you wire the third for illuminating the swith ???

sorry for bad spelling and thanks for any help.

Mr.Spock
As long as you don't mix the new and old tires on the same axle it shouldn't cause much of a problem. If there is that much of a height difference and you go into 4wd I wouldn't drive long distances like that. The gear ratio will be slightly different and puts stress on the transfer case. Also, 40 psi is pretty high. You could drop it down to around 26-30 psi for the road and get a great ride with long tire wear.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM

Thank you Tacobell .

front tires will go faster than rear one if i understand ??.Dang, bad choice i do. I had the 2 used tires for 80$CAN (sumitomo mt) .Was good enough for mudding but was smaller than the new one. I think i will have to buy 2 tires for matching all 4. $$$$ again......dang modaddiction....

Mr.Spock
Old 04-19-2004, 04:59 PM

Forget the question about auxiliary lights wiring, i found an excellent write-up from Corey in the tech section
Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock
Thank you Tacobell .

front tires will go faster than rear one if i understand ??.Dang, bad choice i do. I had the 2 used tires for 80$CAN (sumitomo mt) .Was good enough for mudding but was smaller than the new one. I think i will have to buy 2 tires for matching all 4. $$$$ again......dang modaddiction....

Mr.Spock
Yeah, fronts wear faster than the rears. They take all the abuse of stopping power, turning, cornering, etc.