Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amsoil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Filters

I recently just saw Amsoil got product numbers for oil and air filters for 03 4Runners. I have a K&N now, and will probably get the Amsoil. I know the air filters are the best, but what about their oil filters? Anybody have experience with them? If not, what brand oil filters do you guys recommend? Appreciate all the input, thanks

-Brian
Old 10-14-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lives4well,

if you use amsoil oil with the service interval of 25k and 35k, use it with the amsoil oil filters. they are designed to filter longer than conventional filters, including the OEM toyota filters.

bob
Old 10-14-2003, 09:48 AM

I have heard somewhere that Amsoil oil filters are Baldwin filters.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:57 AM

AMOSIL oil filters are proven best in every standardized test I have ever seen. They have the highest filtering efficency and the highest dirt holding capability before flow is restricted. Nothing beats them.

Second place is the Mobil 1 oil filters.

You can stop by my site for more info if you want.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-14-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Glenn
I have heard somewhere that Amsoil oil filters are Baldwin filters.
AMSOIL filters are AMSOIL filters.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-14-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Gadget

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Glad to hear it, but how do you know for sure? I know that in the oil filter business rebadging is rampant.

I use Amsoil oil and filter in my truck.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:32 AM

It is simple. AMSOIL filters crush every thing else on the market in stardarized testing. If it was exactly the same thing as Baldwin it would test way down the scale as Baldwin, wouldn't it? Instead it is at the complete other end of the scale.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
lives4well,

if you use amsoil oil with the service interval of 25k and 35k, use it with the amsoil oil filters. they are designed to filter longer than conventional filters, including the OEM toyota filters.

bob

I can use it with other oil too right?? lol I happen to have castrol gtx that i am gonna use, and want the best filter, looks like i am goin with an amsoil
Old 10-14-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lives,

that might be overkill as your oil's service life will most likely be shorter than the rated service life of the amsoil oil filter. however, that is not to say that you shouldn't do it. if you're going this route, i would recommend that you go all the way and purchase amsoil oil too. both gadget and i are dealers too.

bob
Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 AM

I run amsoil synthetic and Amsoil Oil Filter....on my 96. Do you think it would be safe to run 8-10k miles without changes?

Joe
Old 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Joec500
I run amsoil synthetic and Amsoil Oil Filter....on my 96. Do you think it would be safe to run 8-10k miles without changes?

Joe
Yes, if you use one of AMSOIL extended drain oils and not that XL-7500 line.

10,000 miles would be a good time for your first since it will be getting loaded up with all the crud it is cleaning out of the engine.

I have run Series 2000 0w30 for 19,000 miles and it tested good for continued use, but that was my personal limit.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-14-2003, 11:47 AM

Awesome...thanks Gadget, that's good to know.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

is it cheaper to buy from you guys or is it the same as buying it online from amsoil?

Thanks for all the info
Old 10-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Let's get the semantics correct here Amsoil sells Amsoil oil filters, which are manufactured by Hastings to Amsoil's specifications. (That is a fact.) Those specifications are well above average but I don't think they filter out particles any better than Mobil 1 oil filters. Because the SDF filters are larger (volume size - as an SDF 15 holds approximately 1 quart of oil), they will filter out a larger volume of particles before clogging the filter and kicking in the by-pass valve, which is set at 10# psi. The SDF line of Amsoil oil filters, filter out particles in the 7 to 10 micron or larger range, which is well above industry standards. I run Amsoil's dual remote filtration system using the SDF15 and BE100 oil filters. If you don't run off-road much, tow or drive in the desert heat, the 0-30 (2000 series) or the 5-30 (3000 series) works great. For off-road (rock climbing - desert racing), towing or hot climates, the 10-30 synthetic Amsoil will provide adequate protection for your engine for a longer period of time when/if you reach the extreme heat limits of your engine, than will the 0-30 or 5-30 weight synthetic oils.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

I saw a site somewhere that the guy tested a bunch of filters and even cut them in half and fully described the "ingredients" of each.
Pretty much anything from the premium brands or the premium model did well. Mobile 1,K&N,Amsoil all scored well while the Frams of the world were really cheap construction and performed adequate.
The one that really filtered well was the Purelator PureOne which kinda filtered too well as it raised the oil pressure a little in most engines tested since it's microns filtered count was really high.

I used the PureOne in my turboed and very drag raced Eclipse and never had any problems so it'll probably be the one that goes in my truck when I get my oil change.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I saw a site somewhere that the guy tested a bunch of filters and even cut them in half and fully described the "ingredients" of each.
Pretty much anything from the premium brands or the premium model did well. Mobile 1,K&N,Amsoil all scored well while the Frams of the world were really cheap construction and performed adequate.
The one that really filtered well was the Purelator PureOne which kinda filtered too well as it raised the oil pressure a little in most engines tested since it's microns filtered count was really high.

I used the PureOne in my turboed and very drag raced Eclipse and never had any problems so it'll probably be the one that goes in my truck when I get my oil change.
The PureOne is probably the best bang for the buck but it isn't as good as Amsoil or Mobil 1 for filtering. PureOne filters out particles in the 12 to 15 micron range, which is well above the industry standard of 20 to 25 microns. If you change oil @ 5K the PureOne is great and your best value - if you push to 10K or every 6 months, I'd definitely stick with Amsoil or Mobil 1 - of course, I'm assuming you're running synthetic oil going 10K on a Amsoil or Mobil 1 filter - Using the SDF15 - you can push 15K.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm,some things to consider in the next 700 miles.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Joe
Let's get the semantics correct here Amsoil sells Amsoil oil filters, which are manufactured by Hastings to Amsoil's specifications. (That is a fact.) Those specifications are well above average but I don't think they filter out particles any better than Mobil 1 oil filters. Because the SDF filters are larger (volume size - as an SDF 15 holds approximately 1 quart of oil), they will filter out a larger volume of particles before clogging the filter and kicking in the by-pass valve, which is set at 10# psi. The SDF line of Amsoil oil filters, filter out particles in the 7 to 10 micron or larger range, which is well above industry standards. I run Amsoil's dual remote filtration system using the SDF15 and BE100 oil filters. If you don't run off-road much, tow or drive in the desert heat, the 0-30 (2000 series) or the 5-30 (3000 series) works great. For off-road (rock climbing - desert racing), towing or hot climates, the 10-30 synthetic Amsoil will provide adequate protection for your engine for a longer period of time when/if you reach the extreme heat limits of your engine, than will the 0-30 or 5-30 weight synthetic oils.
I think you have most of it right, but...

AMSOIL SDF filters do filter better then Mobil 1 and that is backed up by standardized testing. There are two tests that are used, one for filtering efficency, what it takes out of the oil, and the other capacity, how much dirt it can hold before flow is reduced. In both cases, AMSOIL beats Mobil 1. The tests also clearly show that Mobil 1 is an excellent alternative choice.

I am not sure I am following you on how 5w30 or 10w30 protects better then 0w30 in the heat. Maybe you can clear that up for me. They are all 30w oils at operating temp so they are the same. Next the 3.4 has an excellent oil cooler and the oil temp is very stable no matter what the outside temp is, so if the oil stays at close to the same temp no matter what the ambient conditions are then even if those oils were not all 30w it would not make much of a difference.

Most of the engine wear occurs during start up and warm up. That is universally undisputed. A 0w30 oil will provide better protection during those high wear times no matter what the outside temp is compared to 5w30 or 10w30 or what ever else.

If I am missing something here fill me in.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget, you're awesome!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

I think you have most of it right, but...

AMSOIL SDF filters do filter better then Mobil 1 and that is backed up by standardized testing. There are two tests that are used, one for filtering efficency, what it takes out of the oil, and the other capacity, how much dirt it can hold before flow is reduced. In both cases, AMSOIL beats Mobil 1. The tests also clearly show that Mobil 1 is an excellent alternative choice.

I am not sure I am following you on how 5w30 or 10w30 protects better then 0w30 in the heat. Maybe you can clear that up for me. They are all 30w oils at operating temp so they are the same. Next the 3.4 has an excellent oil cooler and the oil temp is very stable no matter what the outside temp is, so if the oil stays at close to the same temp no matter what the ambient conditions are then even if those oils were not all 30w it would not make much of a difference.

Most of the engine wear occurs during start up and warm up. That is universally undisputed. A 0w30 oil will provide better protection during those high wear times no matter what the outside temp is compared to 5w30 or 10w30 or what ever else.

If I am missing something here fill me in.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I've always run V8's and my current rig is a Tundra with a V8 and over half the time I'm running trails without another vehicle to assist when needed, so from lots of experience I can advise that when I blow a CV in tough terrain and have no more spares and I have to get out myself, at times I have to really work at it, and I have on several occasions overheated when the outside temps were 99 to 104 (Moab last May comes to mind). A heavier oil has less chance of shearing to a lower viscosity after a few thousand miles or after getting hot due to a lower quantity of viscosity index improver polymers in oil with a smaller viscosity range (0-30). There's really not much of a difference between 0-30 and 5-30 when you're talking about synthetics - it's more of a marketing gimmick. 10-30 there is a difference, as it has more antiwear additives and polymers etc. Here's a site that kinda talks about it. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...up=Maintenance

When the series 2000 initially came out I spoke with a Amsoil tech about the new properties of the 0-30 compared to the 10-30 in severe conditions (heat) and I was told back then to keep with the 10-30 if I felt my engine might overheat or if I was going to be towing a heavy trailer or planned on working my engine a lot harder than normal in an off-road environment. I've checked since to see if the 0-30 has improved any and I got the same advise from Amsoil techs. Give them a call if you have any doubts.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Filters