Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amsoil filter torn up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil filter torn up!

I had a P0171 code come up and I went to clean the MAF sensor. I opened the air box and found my Amsoil filter all torn up. Almost like something chewed it up. It is about 7 years old, maybe it was age.

At any rate, there are some pieces of foam sucked up into the engine...what to do? Is there anything I can do?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mice. Probably make a nest out of it.

I dont think it should hurt it. Seems like it would all burn off and blow out. But pull off the intake and make sure there are no BIG chunks in it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yup what he said, and now follow me on this one, I have seen plenty of these working at an oil change shop. I had one customer tell me about a fix he did to prevent this from happening because he had a major problem with mice in his air box. He took a small potpourri bag and filled it with moth balls and put it under his air filter in the airbox and the mice never came back.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
yup what he said, and now follow me on this one, I have seen plenty of these working at an oil change shop. I had one customer tell me about a fix he did to prevent this from happening because he had a major problem with mice in his air box. He took a small potpourri bag and filled it with moth balls and put it under his air filter in the airbox and the mice never came back.

why would moth balls work?

mice aren't afraid of moth balls.

fill the potpourri bag with Mouse Balls and you'll never see another one.

(ummmm...yeah, use the moth balls)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 AM

lmao, I don't know but the guy said it worked for him.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Believe it or not wikipedia does list it as a mice repellent lol.

Composition and safety

Older mothballs consisted primarily of naphthalene, but due to naphthalene's flammability, modern mothballs use 1,4-dichlorobenzene instead. Both of these ingredients have a strong, pungent odor often associated strongly with mothballs. Camphor, an insect repellent, can also be used in mothballs.

Both chemicals kill moths and moth larvae with the vapor. Both naphthalene and para-dichlorobenzene sublimate, meaning they go from a solid straight to a vapor. The vapor is toxic to the moths.

For either of these chemicals to be effective, they need to be placed with the clothing in a sealed container so the vapors can build up and kill the moths. In a sealed atmosphere like this, the vapors are not harmful to people because they are contained. The main threat would occur when opening the containers, or from wearing clothes immediately after opening (especially a problem for infants). A solution is to open the containers outside and let the clothes hang and air out for a day before wearing.
[edit] Uses and risks

In addition to repelling insects such as moths and silverfish, mothballs are used as a stovepipe cleaner, snake repellent, and to keep away mice or other pests. Mothballs have also been used by some campers to keep bears away from their food or even their entire campsite.[citation needed]

To clean the pipes of a wood burning stove, one or two mothballs thrown into the fire will help to loosen soot and creosote.[citation needed]

The main concern about the use of mothballs as a snake, mice, or animal repellent is their easy access to children, pets, and beneficial animals. Leaving them in a garden or in a living space unprotected makes it very easy for unintended victims such as children and pets to gain access to them. Mothballs are highly toxic when ingested, causing serious illness or death. In addition to this, using a very large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space. [1]

It has also been suggested that the toxic chemical in mothballs will bond to garden soil, causing damage to it. Research has shown that a weak bond can occur, but naturally occurring soil microbes will break down the toxic component of mothballs over extended periods of time. In addition to this, the toxic effects of mothballs may also kill beneficial soil insects while it is present in soil. [2]

Mothballs have been used for solvent abuse by adolescents.[3][4] Mothballs have also been found to be a carcinogen[5].

In the Mythbusters episode "Scuba Diver, Car Capers" it was shown to be "plausible" that adding mothballs to a car's fuel tank would increase its horsepower.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
still say MOUSE BALLs would act as a better deterrent.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 AM

hmmm maybe not such a good idea. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-02-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM

What's even more fun is when they get stuck in the HVAC blower and die...When I worked at Honda we had a car come in with a cat sucked into the intake tube!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What I want to know is how can someone go a year let alone 6 or 7 years with out looking at the air filter .

I check mine every oil change and replace if needed
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Oh, didnt go 6-7 years without checking my filter. This happened within the last 10k miles which is about the time I take it out to clean and re-oil it.