Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

am i getting taken on the price of the rear axel seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question am i getting taken on the price of the rear axel seal replacement

I've been a long time lurker on the forum and finally decided to register because i found out that my rear seals have blown on my rear axel. I went to a local meineke muff/brake shop to have my brakes looked at I was told that my rear seals have given out and they need to be replaced. These are the following prices they gave me, the first is the parts price and the second is labor.......
PARTS LABOR
Rear shoes 129.99, 35.00
rear hardware 44.99, 0
inner seal 26.99, 150.00
outer seal 30.99, 150.00
machine drums 0, 50.00
machine shop 0, 200.00 (guestimate to press the bearings)
Bleed 0, 34.99
Axel bearing 277.86, 0
Total parts total labor
510.82 619.99
total 1130.81

This amount was given to me as the extreme, tomorrow i will go to the dealer and get their price. I feel this i really high because i have searched and come up with lower prices, this might be due to your locations but hope that's not the case. And for some basic info on the runner. It is a 98 sr5 with 45,000 miles on it, it has had to have its cluch replaced at about 35,000 ( they never told me why) miles less than a year ago by the dealer which cost 950.00, it has 265/75/16 dueler mts on it, it has the deck plate mod along vortex cherry bomb and the breather extention, im going to put the original breather back on when i take it to the dealer because the dealer mechanic i talked to( also the one who told me about it) told me that they frown apon "mods" like this. I'm just wondering if this is a fair price and should i go with the dealer or meineke?? And since i live in alaska there is only one toyota dealer and several other brake shops. Thanks all for the kind info and anything will help. And by the way GREAT site.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:42 PM

First off, welcome to the forum!

They are doing quite a bit for you but I still think it's too much. If you only have 45,000 on your Runner, take it to the dealer. That should be warranty work, no? The dealer should at least cover the parts, if not the labor, in their warranty...? Sounds like they are quoting you for doing all that to each side, but it still sounds high.

For lubing my requested chasis parts, adjusting & cleaning the rear passenger drum, and replacing the inner (not outer, but that would make this story longer) axle seal it cost me under $400 Canadian ($265 USD).

Try to get another opinion if you can first, I feel you're the one being taken for a ride...not your Runner.

Al
Old 12-17-2002, 10:46 PM

Yo alaskan4runner,
Whats up guy. Fellow Alaskan here. Born and raised. Now living in WA.

I had one of my rear seals blow on me a couple of months ago.
Now, I know the prices in AK is higher but man thats WAY to extreme. Even if you end up doing boths sides its shouldn't be that much and Im talking AK prices.

I found the receipts to my rear seal job. I was going to do the work myself so I purchased the following items.

Brake shoe Kit- $71.47
Seal, Type S Oil- $9.98 ea purchased 2
Bearing, RTP,50,83 - $45.36 ea purchased 2

Due to time constraints, I had Toyota do the work for me.

Toyota results:

One blown seal $9.98
Replaced both brake shoes $71.47
Labor including machining
both brake drums, bleeding, etc. $100.00
Total $181.45

Returned the extra seal and bearing at $55.34.
Final cost $126.11

Last edited by smr4runner; 12-18-2002 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the "Date of First Use" DOFU of the vehicle is 12/18/97 or more recent, with only 45,000 miles on it, you are still within warranty. Pending the vehicle has not been in an accident, or some hack job of another shop screwed it up. This job would fall within your Powertrain Coverage which goes with the vehicle, not just the first owner.
(Buying demos from the dealer has the drawback of starting the DOFU clock early.)

Those shops prices appear high, although I am not at work and unable to verify.

Also worth noting, that contaminated brake shoes from a leaking seal which was under warranty, is also covered.

Be extra picky about getting the gear oil out of the old drums. Sucks getting the new shoes warrantied down the road again. ( Hassle)

The warranty on those repairs would be 12 months unlimited mileage, or the end of the powertrain coverage, whichever is greater.

Jay
Old 12-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Jay

I would also like to state that I am a firm believer in replacing the rear axle bearing while doing this repair. I dont like the idea of the gear oil washing out the thicker more permanent grease of the sealed axle bearing.

If your vehicle has ABS the job becomes even more complex. As for having to remove the ABS relucter (spelling?) while removing the old bearing. Ive never been able to salvage one. Consider that extra unforseen expense.

Jay
Old 12-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Bearing replacement

Jay You suggest that you replace the bearing when doing the seal job,How would the gear lube get in to the sealed bearing,I have done many of these seals and have never replaced bearings, I must admit i never taken the bearings apart, Just wondering,
Old 12-18-2002, 10:50 PM
Jay

Just always have, that is my impression. I guess it is a risk I do not take. Sealed bearings are sealed, however does that guarantee the the thinner gear oil cant wash it out?

I remember using some ATF to quiet down a noisey sealed idler bearing on an old car of mine. I just let it soak in through the seal.

What it comes down to is, its your choice. If im doing this job under warranty, its getting bearings. But if it was my money, I suppose I might be inclined to give it a shot without the bearings.

I still feel hesitant to offer that advise freely. Its one of the corners that could be cut. Definitally not the way I was trained.

Jay
Old 12-19-2002, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jay
Just always have, that is my impression. I guess it is a risk I do not take. Sealed bearings are sealed, however does that guarantee the the thinner gear oil cant wash it out?

I remember using some ATF to quiet down a noisey sealed idler bearing on an old car of mine. I just let it soak in through the seal.

What it comes down to is, its your choice. If im doing this job under warranty, its getting bearings. But if it was my money, I suppose I might be inclined to give it a shot without the bearings.

I still feel hesitant to offer that advise freely. Its one of the corners that could be cut. Definitally not the way I was trained.

Jay
I was wondering why they replaced my bearings when they did my rear axle seal's under warrenty. That makes sense..
Old 12-19-2002, 07:40 PM

thanks alll for the help. Toyota covered everything and only charged me for my 45,000 mile tune-up plus a few extras wich cost me about 150. Toyota said that the price is the going rate for alaska and that is what every one will charge. Again thanks for the help. And see ya around!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Jay

Good news.

I think we charge 129.95 for our 45,000 service. Seems reasonable.

Out of curiosity.... did they replace both rear wheel bearings?

Jay
Old 12-20-2002, 07:32 PM

um im not sure if they replaced the bearings, the invoice was very basic and just said there was a leak and they fixed it and also did the tune up. If they didn't is there any way that i can have them change them for free or will i have to pay???? Again all thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Jay

There should be a list of parts on the invoice. Im not suggesting you raise a stink if they did not replace the bearings. Im just giving my point of view.

If the bearings were not replaced, I would like to know in the future if you have problems again. You can be our lab rat.

Jay