Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a true bolt-on $600 rear disc brake kit for your 3rd gen?
Absolutely!
54.21%
Maybe.
33.64%
No.
12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

All-Pro Rear Disc Brakes: Gauging Interest

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All-Pro Rear Disc Brakes: Gauging Interest

Yes, I have sifted through the threads about putting rear disc brakes on a 3rd gen. I understand the big hitch is the loss of the parking brake feature, and I understand there are some creative options out there to "solve" this problem such as line locks, etc. But I don't want that. I want a true bolt on kit.

First things first though. Here is a link to All-Pro's rear disc kit, which they advertise as fitting 79 - 04 models.

Why do I want rear disc brakes? Well, for a few reasons. I have a bad wheel bearing for one. Gear oil has saturated my rear brake on the passenger side as a result, rendering them pretty much useless during normal driving. I am going to need to get a new bearing, get new drums (mine are past the service limit I believe) and get new shoes, etc. I figure I am going to be out a few hundred dollars anyway. Oh, and I want to stop better!

So I called All-Pro today and talked to them about "our" concern, which is mainly the loss of using the e-brake. I told him there could be a huge market for these kits on 3rd gens alone if they could make it a true bolt-on item and retain the use of the factory parking brake (and if I was a successful guinea pig) . Unfortunately, I didn't have any solid data to back up my claim about demand. It would require All-Pro to do some R&D, but I think we might be able to convince them to proceed.

So who would be down for a true bolt-on rear disc brake kit that retained the use of the factory e-brake for around $600?

I only know of one other 3rd gen 4R using the All-Pro kit here on YT. I guess there were a couple issues, but in the end the e-brake was the only big concern (I think).
Old 11-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you'd have a fair amount of interest, but $600 is alot to swallow for rear discs. I know they had a setup for using the e-brake with a transfer case type brake, but it had horrible reviews in use. I think I'd have to see what they put together first before I could say I was in for sure or not.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 AM

i have the APO disc brake kit, and it does stop alot better than stock. i had to replace my drums anyways (around 400$) so i just figured upgrade. i like them for ease of cleanup and extra stopping power. but i really really hate that i dont have a parking brake, whats interesting is they never said anything about me losing that ability when i was ordering it (geuss i needed to do more research before) ive been talking to everyone i can think of about how to fix this, and their were some ideas about using the assembly off of an 03+ 4runner. i would love it if someone came out with a parking brake fix for this kit, because then it would be just about perfect. if i didnt already have it, i would def. buy one if it allowed you to retain your parking brake!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

I really want this set-up, but I don't want to loose my e-brake...
Drums just plain stink...
I am jealous of my uncle who has an '05 Sport V8....
Took that thing for a test drive and the brake power was just beautiful...
I hope they come up with a set up for the 3rd Gens...
That would def be a mod to put at the top of the list!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, AP would be crazy to do this.

Second, do you realize a seal failure and resulting bearing dump are flukey and caused by something else?

Spending half a day doing press work, replacing pads and driving a new seal will be a lot cheaper, quicker and easier.

They have a pure bolt on disc kit with a pure bolt on t-case mounted e-brake already.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

Second, do you realize a seal failure and resulting bearing dump are flukey and caused by something else?

Spending half a day doing press work, replacing pads and driving a new seal will be a lot cheaper, quicker and easier.

They have a pure bolt on disc kit with a pure bolt on t-case mounted e-brake already.
The Cheezdoodle speaks the wiseness of a gray haired hare.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 PM

do you have a link to this?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Yes, please post links to anything that's currently out there. I am searching for the APO kit and can't even find that!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mmmmmm rear disks on the cheep

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/rear-disc-brake-install-80765/
Old 11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Why would AP be "crazy to do this?"

I came to the conclusion that my bearing is toast because I hear a noise from that side sometimes while driving (a wa wa wa noise) . Also, I replaced the axle seal and it's still leaking. My thinking is that a small amount of gear oil is seeping by the (good) seal because of a bad bearing. I absolutely could be wrong, but the signs are pointing towards a bad bearing.

I don't mind the price difference between doing what you mentioned above and the disc kit. I want the increase in braking performance and to get rid of my lame-o drums.

And yes, I realize they have a transfer case mounted brake already, but the guy at AP said that only works on pre-95 rigs.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I would be "interested" IF it used Toyota parts.. and what would be even better, if it was the same rotors and pads as the front, just to make life simple, lol
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM

Rear brakes do 30% or less of total braking.

I know more braking is better, but even if discs stop 100% better than drums, that is small total improvement.

The arguments for discs are collecting less crap, being simpler and not getting mudded up.

If you already had a leaky seal, the bearing is ruined. That is a non-servicable bearing that has likely had the grease inside thinned out by gear oil. Replace it and call it good.

The kit I am talking about is already on their site. Look for disc brakes and look for e-brake. Both are bolt on. Rear axles are a simple 4 bolt pattern that is the same from 79 to 2004. The flange where the rotor bolts is the same too, just different radius on early trucks.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM

I would be interested, but for $600, there better be some damn good components. I know Wilwood and Baer make inexpensive calipers that incorporated a parking brake function (cheap) as well as rotors that facilitate and internal drum parking braket. Adapting them with a simple caliper bracket to a 6 lug rotor with the proper offset would be fairly simple.

Trying to make this work using only OEM parts would be stupid. There are other aftermarket options to be explored that are equally robust and already that solve a lot of the issues the need to be addressed.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

why would using OEM parts be stupid ?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:36 PM

All Pro's site says the transfer case e-brake won't work for the V-6 at this time, so I don't see how this could be called an option

Transfer Case Mounted Disc Parking Brake
This parking brake kit hooks up directly to the stock parking brake cable. This kit provides dramatically increased braking over the stock parking brake. Will hold truck on a 45 degree hill (tranny in neutral). Kit bolts onto the back of the transfer case. No drive shaft modifications needed. Fits 84-95 gear drive 4cyl transfer case equipped pickups and 4Runners. V6 application not available at this time. Can be used with drum or disc brakes. Black painted finish. Caliper available separately for the those interested in building their own setup. Re-drilling rotor required for use on 79-83 trucks with original driveshafts due to smaller 8mm bolt hole size.
http://allprooffroad.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=33

Erich
Old 11-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Another issue with the current setup they offer is where do you get rotors that fit other than from them? They use Chevy rotors (same bolt pattern) and machine out the center hubs to fit a Toyota axle. So other than buying rotors and having a machine shop modify them to fit (who knows what that would cost or the hassle involved) you are pretty much SOL. Not having off the shelf rotors is a pretty major drawback in my book and would also need to be remedied before I put my cash down on the table.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Great point Jamie. Keep the thoughts and observations coming guys. I can be talked out of this!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Stock stuff is not particularly amazing or exotic. Wilwood and Baer and bling and quality. Not sure if they are worth it though.

We tried to put stock Tundra calipers and Runner rotots on the rear of a rock truck for a friend. The Runner rotors were not deep enough to get into the plane of where it was easy to put a caliper.

The bolt on AP stuff I was talking about was 4 cylinder. The chain drive early or late V-6 cases are nothing special, but are different and not too common off road.

If you want a bomber rear brake kit that gets you full float, call Brian at FROR, tell him that fat guy sent you and call it good. That is close to a grand, has no brake, but is the best rear set up I have ever seen.

Personally, I have a custom rear housing with mini truck drums. I would love discs for ease of maintenance, not having to mess with messy drums and the ability to pull a diff easily.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM

You won't get what you are asking about for $600. Best bet is to spend the extra $$$ and do a FRORF full floater w/ supra calipers and rear parking brake. Or... substitute the chevy truck calipers for Cadillac rears w/ the parking brake built in. Jay Kopycinski did the latter about 10-12 years ago.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/discs.html
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockota
You won't get what you are asking about for $600. Best bet is to spend the extra $$$ and do a FRORF full floater w/ supra calipers and rear parking brake. Or... substitute the chevy truck calipers for Cadillac rears w/ the parking brake built in. Jay Kopycinski did the latter about 10-12 years ago.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/discs.html
I remember reading about that......I had heard that even the Caddy calipers weren't so hot for use as an e-brake.
.....again this is heresay since I don't know anyone actually running those.

Quick Reply: All-Pro Rear Disc Brakes: Gauging Interest