Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Airaid MIT & True Flow filter

Old 08-29-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i just ordered a airaid mit and a true flow filter today for my 99' 4runner 3.4, and i cant wait to get it. Im replacing the K&N FIPK which pretty much sucked. If anyone is interested im selling it. I just wanted to see if anyone else was running this set up and whats their take on it. Im prolly gonna run and get the deckplate today and install it so by the time the other stuff gets in the mail its all ready.
Attached Thumbnails Airaid MIT & True Flow filter-pics-004b.jpg  
Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

10$ shipped? LOL
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

ill pay no more then 30 for it.. just because I want to do test with it anyways
Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Those FIPK's go for big bucks on ebay for some reason...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Those FIPK's go for big bucks on ebay for some reason...
Yeah I'd sell it on Eaby, you might get $100-$150 for it. Suckers
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned

i'll take $50 for it.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

I love mine.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM

yea i think im gonna post it on ebay, someone will get suckered into buying it for sure
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Not to take away from the poster or anyone else's enthusiasm for this intake, but are these intakes worth it? $200+? That would net you 13 of the factory air filters (~$15/filter), which work great. Change at every 15,000 miles and at the end of the 13th filter, you'd be sitting at 195,000 miles. Performance gains are hardly any. Maybe just for the sound?

Sorry for going off topic, and I can delete this post, if necessary. Don't want to start up a flame fest, but just wanted some different views on why people think K&N, True Flow and the likes are necessary?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Out of curiosity - where did you order the MIT and Trueflow from and how much? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on it also. I was going to hit JasonB to see what just the MIT went for and grab a trueflow from him, but I only saw the Jr package with the airraid filter --- don't need that and a trueflow.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
Not to take away from the poster or anyone else's enthusiasm for this intake, but are these intakes worth it? $200+? That would net you 13 of the factory air filters (~$15/filter), which work great. Change at every 15,000 miles and at the end of the 13th filter, you'd be sitting at 195,000 miles. Performance gains are hardly any. Maybe just for the sound?

Sorry for going off topic, and I can delete this post, if necessary. Don't want to start up a flame fest, but just wanted some different views on why people think K&N, True Flow and the likes are necessary?
No flame fest..... but my stock air filter couldn't handle the amount of dust and needed to replaced weekly. I then bought the K&N FIPK which did worse..... I then switched to the Amsoil and problem solved, I could go 3 months before it needed to be cleaned. The reason I went to TrueFlow is simple, I went 9 months and the filter still worked just fine, no dirt passed through it. When we did our Death Valley run this year one of the other Yotatech members swapped back to a stock filter, because of all this talk that they worked the best and it plugged up and allowed dirt to pass by causing the MAF sensor to malfunction.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbob
Out of curiosity - where did you order the MIT and Trueflow from and how much? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on it also. I was going to hit JasonB to see what just the MIT went for and grab a trueflow from him, but I only saw the Jr package with the airraid filter --- don't need that and a trueflow.

Thanks
just order the filter from Here

Last edited by Elton; 03-01-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimbob

Thanks
I paid $35-36 shipped for the TrueFlow filter from Northridge Toyota.

You can get just the Airaid intake tube with free shipping here...
www.speedyperformanceparts.com

Last edited by rocket; 11-08-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: updated link
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM

watt..i paid 50 bucks for my true flow.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
No flame fest..... but my stock air filter couldn't handle the amount of dust and needed to replaced weekly. I then bought the K&N FIPK which did worse..... I then switched to the Amsoil and problem solved, I could go 3 months before it needed to be cleaned. The reason I went to TrueFlow is simple, I went 9 months and the filter still worked just fine, no dirt passed through it. When we did our Death Valley run this year one of the other Yotatech members swapped back to a stock filter, because of all this talk that they worked the best and it plugged up and allowed dirt to pass by causing the MAF sensor to malfunction.
Gotcha.

Just wondering how you tested how much dirt actually went through the filters?

I've read countless times about how K&N is the worst filter for dusty environment. I wouldn't trust those filters again. I did hear good things about Amsoil and True Flow. I'd be interested to know more about your experiments. (If there is a thread that you already created, let me know. Thanks.)
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
Gotcha.

Just wondering how you tested how much dirt actually went through the filters?

I've read countless times about how K&N is the worst filter for dusty environment. I wouldn't trust those filters again. I did hear good things about Amsoil and True Flow. I'd be interested to know more about your experiments. (If there is a thread that you already created, let me know. Thanks.)

I drive on dusty dirt roads daily and after a week, dirt starts acumulating on the inside of the intake tube with a factory paper filter. The Amsoil cured this problem, but the construction of the filter is poor. The actual amount of dirt can be seen on the filters and by checking the backside or inside the intake tube you can easily see how efficient they work. I'll post picture in the other thread....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7&page=1&pp=25
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

Isnt the True Flow filter essentially the same thing as the Amsoil filter, only made better?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 914runner
Isnt the True Flow filter essentially the same thing as the Amsoil filter, only made better?

Thanks
Yep. Acorrding to tests done by Gadget, the True Flow air filter outperformed the Amsoil. For some reason though, his website is missing the link.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

I litteraly spent days of reasearch on this subject and believe everything i've done thus far cannot be any better.

I don't have a single doubt that my 3.4 has more power than what it had when i bought it bone stock. I travel the same hilly freeway everyday and know for a 100% fact that it pulls much easier and smoother than it did before. All the way from 1st to 5th gear was a huge improvement. Even weeks later i was/still am surprised by the difference in city or highway driving.

All it took was a couple mods and some "basic" maintenance...
True Flow air filter, MIT Airaid intake tube, cleaned throttle body/MAF sensor, and then (later on) made my own custom version of the deckplate mod. Thats it.

If you take an exceptional notice to your rigs power, the familiar roads you travel, and your driving style (like i do) then you'll definitely notice what i'm talking about. The basic "mods" i did should have been done at the factory.

I also recently replaced my fuel filter. This might sound crazy to some but once again there were obvious differences. I thought having a slight hesitation was normal.. but now it idles and accelerates smoother than butter. Throttle response through 1st and 2nd is flawless. My 3.4 (120,000k) runs better than new.

NGK plugs and wires are next.

Last edited by rocket; 08-30-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Banned

from what ive read, yuo should stay withi factory wires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airaid MIT & True Flow filter