Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Adding tow package

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding tow package

I been reading the manual to see what the max weight my taco can tow is and it says around 3500 lbs, but with the tow package I can tow 6000 lbs...

My question is what would I need to add the tow package? I know it has a tranny cooler and hitch receiver, is there anything else I'd need?...I'll probably never tow 6000 lbs but I will be towing around 3500 lbs and I dont want to max out the truck, so I'd like to upgrade a little.

Cliff Notes : What is included in the tow package?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

I think youve got it covered! You could check around at your local salvage yards for the tranny cooler and hitch, you should be able to get them together for under $200 I would think.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:16 PM

A tranny cooler is for autos, you didn't say if you had auto/5 spd.
The tow package also comes with a different fan spacer or clutch (I'm not sure) for autos. The tow pkg will have a green spacer and the non tow will have the orange spacer, just look at the shaft for the fan.
I tow about 4500lbs with my '04 Tacoma 5spd. It's slow going uphills but it works out ok. Make sure you have a working trailer brake setup with that much weight.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:44 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Doesn't the tow package also require 16" wheels/brake rotors?
Old 11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rick F.
not really sure....since the tacoma's have changed I'm not sure where to look at what the 04 tow package included...

I'd like to think it takes more then a tranny cooler to haul 2500 extra pounds.....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rick F.
while im sure his truck comes with 16s, they're not required for towing.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by CynicX
not really sure....since the tacoma's have changed I'm not sure where to look at what the 04 tow package included...

I'd like to think it takes more then a tranny cooler to haul 2500 extra pounds.....

other than trailer lights (which i figured would be obvious), i just told you what the tow pkg included, but whatever.

the extra that is required to tow is fuel...you go from 20mpg to 12mpg (or atleast i do)

Last edited by yellowspeedracer; 11-20-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

is the different clutch on the fan made for better cooling at idle or whatever? or is the only difference paint?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

also where can i get order the TRD Tran Cooler from?

and what is a good hitch?..I'm looking for something that will look good....is a hidden hitch any good, I know I see it on alot of small cars but i dunno what else is out there...
Old 11-20-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by CynicX
also where can i get order the TRD Tran Cooler from?

and what is a good hitch?..I'm looking for something that will look good....is a hidden hitch any good, I know I see it on alot of small cars but i dunno what else is out there...
The Hidden Hitch part #87579 will tuck under your stock bumper quite nicely, assuming the frames are the same from '03 to '04.

The price here in San Diego is around $135.00.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ritchie; 11-20-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Search for Hayden Tranny Cooler. I think there's a write up too. It's the "preferred" cooler for 4Runners/Taco's and it's MUCH cheaper than the TRD version.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

You guys are funny...

All you need is the hitch and the hookups for the trailer lights. If you want, I'll sell you my hitch for $65 then you pay shipping. I don't know if its the same since I have a 4Runner but I just did my body lift so it looks rediculous and I'm going to be getting a custom one within a few months or so. The rest of the stuff is optional. Yes, bigger brakes are better, but if your not going to be towing that much then they should be fine. Same goes for the tranny cooler. Optional, but cheap insurance. You can pick one up autozone for $30-$50 depending on how big you want to get. They also have hook-up kits for your tail lights. I just had to put one of those on my truck and its not hard at all if you know how to solder.

Just noticed your in SC, and if you live on an inlet your probably on the coast. I'm in savannah so if it does fit then you wouldn't even have to ship it.

Last edited by turboale; 11-20-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
[QUOTE=turboale]You guys are funny... QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose being concerned about safety and the health of your rig are quite funny. Seat belts weren't required years ago either. Isn't THAT hilarious?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Its just the way you said it, made it sound like you had to have 16" wheels to have a tow hitch.

fyi, seatbelts can also kill... it all depends on the situation.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:32 PM

i didn't soldier anything. just take out the tail lights, plug in the hitch wiring plug, and reinstall the tail light...cake walk

oh yea i know im funny...i strive for such a thing!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Well I gotta see which hitch I like the looks of best....the reason I want the tranny cooler is because if I end up towing a heavier u-haul (5000lbs) its gonna be from SC to MD (550 miles)....also where did you guys get the brake hookup?...i need to start picking up this stuff....

oh and btw...does the tow package from toyota come with bigger brakes?...i know th 05 models dont, but they've had major design changes......
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think it had to do with the tow package. I think it had to do with what model you got. I know all limiteds came with the bigger brakes and it was an option on the SR5s. Thats with 4Runners of course. Does your truck have 16s?

Also, if your going to be getting a descent sized trailer from u-haul the biggest ones come with brakes on the trialers and they help big time. I used one this summer and coming down the mountain was no problem at all. Even with the steelies and 285s.

Check out your local uhual/autozone for the lights hookup. They might have a special hook up like speedracer said that just hooks right up. Or you could get lucky at a junk yard and find a frontal collision taco and be able to gank the stock one. What happened with my runner is that I fried my box when I sank the thing and I couldn't find a part number or anything on the OEM one so I just got a standard "one size fits all" one and thats why I had to solder.

Good luck!

ps, ive got a buddy with a 99 taco and I'll take a look at it to see if they are the same... I doubt it, but I'll let you know what I find.
pps, the main reason there is such a weight gain is because of the hitch itself. I assume w/o the tow package means they were relying on the coffee can bumpers they give us to two. Instead of that you basicly have your frame extended out and thats where most of the extra capacity comes from. I don't think anyone answered your question...

Last edited by turboale; 11-21-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
I don't think it had to do with the tow package. I think it had to do with what model you got. I know all limiteds came with the bigger brakes and it was an option on the SR5s. Thats with 4Runners of course. Does your truck have 16s?

Also, if your going to be getting a descent sized trailer from u-haul the biggest ones come with brakes on the trialers and they help big time. I used one this summer and coming down the mountain was no problem at all. Even with the steelies and 285s.

Check out your local uhual/autozone for the lights hookup. They might have a special hook up like speedracer said that just hooks right up. Or you could get lucky at a junk yard and find a frontal collision taco and be able to gank the stock one. What happened with my runner is that I fried my box when I sank the thing and I couldn't find a part number or anything on the OEM one so I just got a standard "one size fits all" one and thats why I had to solder.

Good luck!

ps, ive got a buddy with a 99 taco and I'll take a look at it to see if they are the same... I doubt it, but I'll let you know what I find.
pps, the main reason there is such a weight gain is because of the hitch itself. I assume w/o the tow package means they were relying on the coffee can bumpers they give us to two. Instead of that you basicly have your frame extended out and thats where most of the extra capacity comes from. I don't think anyone answered your question...
lol thanks man....I do have the 16" wheels and I'm actually pretty good at soldering these days so I'll have to run out an get a generic hook up...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:31 AM

the brake hookup? im using the prodigy brake controller, it seemed to be a pretty good and popular unit at the time. it's worked just fine for me so far. is that what you were asking about?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Austin..Does your door plate sticker show 265/70/16's? Or does it show a 15" wheel package? Reason being...I have 16's on mine, and the sticker has 15"...I'm just curious which brakes I may have.

Quick Reply: Adding tow package