Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 TRD Taco w/Head or Head Gasket Issues: Fix and sell, or sell "As-Is"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TRD Taco w/Head or Head Gasket Issues: Fix and sell, or sell "As-Is"?

Hi all,

My ‘99 Taco 5VZ-FE (4x4, 5-Speed, Xtra Cab, TRD Package, 32” BFG AT’s) has apparently experienced the Cyl #3 Head Gasket or Cracked Head syndrome after 265k miles and a lead foot. My plans are to sell her regardless (already have a new 2013 4Runner 4x4 on order) - but I'm curious how much I could get for it in the condition it's in compared to fixing it and then selling it.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the cams and heads, and I'm still not sure if the heads are cracked - or if it's just a bad head gasket. This means my out-of-pocket cost is largely unknown at this time - but lots of labor any way I slice it (I work slow). I still have another 6 weeks until my new 4Runner will be delivered – so I do have time on my side…

The truck is in good condition overall, but does have a few issues being 13 years old.

What would you do in my situation - if you were planning on selling the truck regardless and don't necessarily want to do all of the labor (unless it will REALLY pay off - and that can't be 100% known until I pull the heads).

I generally run into all kinds of small "shade-tree mechanic" issues with large jobs like these - and that sways me further in the "just sell it as-is" direction. In any event, I would fully disclose the current condition of the truck to all potential buyers (not looking to screw anyone).

Thanks for any words of wisdom! Toyotas rule!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
check the blue book value and expect 1/3 to 1/2 of that value with a blown motor. If my truck, I would have fixed it and kept driving it.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Kelly says around $6500 in good condition - so I could get approx $2500-$3000 for it "as-is"?

If the heads are cracked, that's at least a $1000 repair plus weeks of my time (I work VERY slow ). I'm sure I'd run into some stupid issues - I always do with large projects like these.

I hear you on fixing it if it was yours. I'd love to keep it around, but I already have a 1987 4Runner in storage waiting for a motor swap at a later date (my high school/college nostalgia ride!). In addition, the Taco has about a dozen other things that are about to go IMO (rear main seal already leaking again, rear diff leaks and is likely towards the end of life with my lead foot, A/C concerns, driveshaft/center bearing worn, Air Bag SRS light is flashing, door handle issues, other little things, etc etc.).

I'm pretty sure the bottom end is solid (used Mobil 1 since I bought the truck with 16,500 miles on it in 2001, and never overheated it), but that's another unknown at this point in time.

I contemplated selling my old '87 4Runner that's sitting in storage and restoring the Tacoma instead, but the 4Runner is a much rarer specimen IMO (and has more sentimental value). If I'm going to bother fixing all of the little things on the Taco, I'd prefer to use that time/effort/cash towards the '87 4Runner restoration instead.

While the Taco has been amazingly maintenance-free over the past decade (didn't screw with it too much beyond the stereo system/dynamat), that run is over, and frequent maintenance seems unavoidable unless I pony up and fix everything that might go wrong over the next few years (all of the little annoyance knick-knacks drive me mad!).

The 2013 4Runner 4x4 has already been purchased, so that's pretty much a done deal. The one I test drove left my Taco in the dust (in acceleration, top end, and overall "luxury")! I love my Taco bar none, but the new 4Runners are pretty sweet IMNSHO. Just need TRD to release the Supercharger for the new 4.0L V6's!!!

Thanks for the input. I'll keep pondering for the time being.

Further persuasion in either direction is welcomed!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So you just pretty much ran the pants of the Tacoma and did just enough to get by in the maintenance area . Now that the bill has come due it is time to part company.

By all means sell the truck as it sits now . If you start and get it all torn apart it will be worth even less then now.

Karma can be a real harsh mistress at times look what happened to Dana Corp. I hope your new 4Runner does not turn into a garage queen with the hots for the computer at your local dealer.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I would be prepared to accept less than $2k...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
So you just pretty much ran the pants of the Tacoma and did just enough to get by in the maintenance area .
Lolz! Ran the pants off it - for sure! I run my truck pretty hard indeed. But I keep her in primo physical shape. Mobil1 & Filter every 5-7K (all highway miles / 110miles a day), Amisoil in the Tranny/Transfer/Diffs as needed, lubed driveshaft at every oil change (Stock U-Joints w/265K!), did all my own brake jobs, kept the MAF cleaned (damn K&N!), plugs always immaculate, Seafoam now and again, tires balanced/rotated like clockwork, etc.

I guess I meant to say: I didn't tweak her out very much - that she is largely "stock" (unlike the 87 4Runner which is about as far from "Stock" as I could get it - and ALWAYS had issues!). The only major repairs I've need til now were the Tranny 2nd Gear Sychro plus a bearing kit, a bearing kit for the Transfer, rear diff axle seals, timing belt/water pump, and the regular maintenance. That was a pleasant walk in the park compared to maintaining the '87 4Runner it replaced!!!

Well now, the Tacoma is at the point where it will be requiring all of the maintenance that made me park the '87 4Runner in the first place I love my Taco, but the '87 4Runner will be where my time and effort goes if I really want to dig in and restore either of the two vehicles to be reliable enough to meet my standards (not just mechanically, but keeping everything inside and out in "tip top" shape)...

The only date my new 2013 4Runner should have with the dealer is when TRD puts out a supercharger for the new 4.0L V6 - Then the shop's computer can "have its way" with her (re-flash it), and take the 4Runner's virginity 300+HP - I'll take it!!!

I'll likely sell the Taco as-is, but I'm still pondering giving it a go if I can get $3K-$4K more for my efforts (less than $2K "as-is" to around $5K-$6k fixed?). I've rebuilt the 22RE in the old 4Runner TWICE now, but I know the 5VZ-FE is WAY more challenging. 6 Weeks till the new truck arrives - plenty of time to mull it over...

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Randyman...; 09-24-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Update if anyone is interested - I decided to sell the truck to a family friend for $1300 "as-is". He will be getting the motor rebuilt (and doing the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Rear Main Seal that also needed maintenance). I'll still get to see my baby now and again, and it's going to a good home, so I didn't mind taking a hit on the price (and I needed to get it out of the garage to make room for my new baby!).

I had to wait 2 WHOLE MONTHS until my 2013 4Runner 4x4 arrived from Japan - but I can tell you it was well worth the wait (just picked it up last Thursday with 7 Miles on it)! It's the only one exactly like it in Texas, and is miles and miles beyond any Toyota I've owned to date. It's like driving a spaceship!!! I do miss the '99 Tacoma, but the 4Runner is making those memories fade rather quickly Antilock Brakes, traction and roll/skid control, and the plethora of airbags are nice safeguards on wet or dangerous roads - My Tacoma never had such luxuries. It's a whole different world from the driver's seat.

Now - TRD needs to get their butt in gear and release the Supercharger for the new 270HP V6!!!

Back to work...

Last edited by Randyman...; 11-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You had the perfect donor for a 3.4 swap in the 87! Oh well. Probably don't need it with the 2013 in the garage!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Yeah - That was a thought - but it would be a while until I got around to yanking it out of my Taco - and it will still be a long time until I have any cash to do the full '87 4Runner restoration I envision (not just a motor swap - needs lots of TLC to get it "up to snuff" for my standards).

I'm already paying $106/mo to store the old 4Runner, and I really didn't need another storage payment, or a dead Taco in my garage while the sparkly 2013 4Runner sits out in the un-covered driveway (didn't want to park the Taco in the street 24/7, and I couldn't block the driveway with it - so it had to stay in the garage - which was part of my motivation to sell it). After experiencing the 270 "naturally aspirated" horsepower from the new 4Runner, I'm thinking the '87 will eventually get a V8 and new powertrain anyways Probably another 5 years down the road once I'm officially "over the hill"!...

Last edited by Randyman...; 11-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.