Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4Runner Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point I am trying to get a used 3rd to drop in. Trying to find an open one, then I can save this one, rebuild it and put it in my 2nd gen My plan is to sell the truck anyway, and the few people who looked at it didn't even know what the locker was. I am having a bit of trouble locating one though. Not very many options here, but lots and lots of Toyotas. Go figure.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by KauaiRunner11
At this point I am trying to get a used 3rd to drop in. Trying to find an open one, then I can save this one, rebuild it and put it in my 2nd gen My plan is to sell the truck anyway, and the few people who looked at it didn't even know what the locker was. I am having a bit of trouble locating one though. Not very many options here, but lots and lots of Toyotas. Go figure.
You are gonna have to get a whole 3rd gen non-E-locker rear end if you want to go open carrier..

You can't just drop an open carrier 3rd into an E-locker housing. It won't fit. Well, it might, but likely to leak, see link.

Likewise, your 2nd gen housing will have to undergo modification before it can accept your E-locker 3rd.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/e.../housingsB.jpg

Last edited by millball; 12-20-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm about to move forward with my swap to a diff lock axle in my 2002. I could mail you my old one. 4000 miles of air freight and you'd have what you need for no more than $2000. Parts are hard enough to come up with here. I ended up buying parts trucks for both of my old runners to avoid the trouble and cost of finding parts. I don't know how you do it over there in paradise.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by millball
You are gonna have to get a whole 3rd gen non-E-locker rear end if you want to go open carrier..

You can't just drop an open carrier 3rd into an E-locker housing. It won't fit. Well, it might, but likely to leak, see link.

Likewise, your 2nd gen housing will have to undergo modification before it can accept your E-locker 3rd.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/e.../housingsB.jpg
Thanks for that link, super helpful. I had asked ZUK if it was possible and he said yes, just need to drill and ta a couple holes and fill one with a rubber plug. I can see your point though. I suppose I got a bit excited for a locker, haha. I haven't ruled out rebuilding this one, just trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible and faster.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
I think I'm about to move forward with my swap to a diff lock axle in my 2002. I could mail you my old one. 4000 miles of air freight and you'd have what you need for no more than $2000. Parts are hard enough to come up with here. I ended up buying parts trucks for both of my old runners to avoid the trouble and cost of finding parts. I don't know how you do it over there in paradise.
Appreciate the offer. East coast gear has new 3rd members for about 700, so I would probably go that route first. I will price everything out tonight, yhen make a decision. Really appreciate all the input you guys, thanks.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KauaiRunner11
Appreciate the offer. East coast gear has new 3rd members for about 700, so I would probably go that route first. I will price everything out tonight, yhen make a decision. Really appreciate all the input you guys, thanks.
LOL ! I was just kidding about shipping that heavy joker overseas. I can't imagine what the freight would be. Too bad you don't have the luxury of a hundred salvage yards within a three hour drive. Hell, I bought my complete 2000 model parts truck wrecked but completely intact for $225 a few months ago. I just let the oil out of the rear as my last step before starting the swap and it was as clean and metal free as any I had ever seen before. I guess I'm all in now. It's going to be a big project. The rear end doesn't scare me at all but I'm going to have to swap the front diff as well because the gear ratios are going to be be too far apart if I don't. The front's are horrible to take out. I can hardly imagine the trouble I'm going to have putting one in.

Are you thinking about putting a new 3rd in the truck you are about to sell? I'd sure try and find me a good used one if that were the case. I bet someone on here has one out west has one that they could get to you for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 PM

Lol! When I read it again I can hear the sarcasm now. It's been a bit of a long day.