Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4Runner moonroof safety switch Defect and One Touch Operation moD

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4Runner moonroof safety switch Defect and One Touch Operation moD

***** This is for information purposes only, because this relates to defeating a safety switch, use information at your own risk. I cannot be held liable for damages. *****

NOTE: This does not remove/defeat the limit switches in the factory setup, just the position switch that shuts the controls off at the halfway point of closure. The moonroof limit switch will still trip and save the motor if something is in the track but it's not something you want to be in the middle of. (I used my own strength to stop it, and needless to say, it still puts a strong amount of pressure before tripping)

I'm sure those of you who have a 96-98 4runner with a factory installed moonroof hate the fact that when you close your moonroof, it stops halfway then you have to let up on the switch and continue to close it. Well... I've figured out an easy defeat for this feature.

The switches for open/close and tilt/close use a negative trigger to operate the relays. There are also two limit switches that are used in this system: one for open, one for close. That being said, once I figured out which wires controlled each operation, I pulled out the factory moonroof module which is located just to the passenger side of the moonroof motor in the headliner to look a little closer.

There is one wire that pulses 12volts at the midway point of closure, this is the trigger wire you will cut and tape off. On my vehicle, it is a wire with red/silver dots and I've attached a picture to show which wire it is. Once this is cut, the moonroof will close the whole way without letting off on the switch!!

There is one caveat to this modification... Once the moonroof is closed completely, you will notice that the open/close switch is dead and will not work. The way around this is to touch the close switch on the tilt/close side which resets the other limit switch. Once that is pressed, the moonroof functions as normal. Yeah, this could be annoying but it's only needed if the roof is closed completely.

Hopefully this all makes sense and please feel free to ask me if you have any questions. Next mod... ONE TOUCH open/close!!

Enjoy!

Jeff

Name:  IMG00185-20100723-1424.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Sounds like a waste of time.... With your suggestion, you still have to push a button twice. I'd rather not mess with something so trivial just so I have to let off the switch for a split second and repress it...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

Well, for a 15 min fix, it's not that big of a deal. I was just trying to find a way around that stopping point and this works. The main reason I was looking into this was due to the number of posts pertaining to this subject.

Another couple notes on this... If you 'vent' the sunroof at all and close it you will not need to press the 'close' button before opening the moonroof fully. This was a preliminary assessment on the electronics and if I study it a little more I may be able to come up with a better solution...
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 PM

hmmmm....maybe this will come in handy in the future...just don't feel that bothered by it yet. Thanks for the write up..
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Woah, I never knew that was a safety feature! I just thought mine was messed up and always cut out halfway when closing! Like the other guy said, I wouldn't go through the trouble just to defeat this purpose, but nice write-up bro!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Always thought it was just me. Won't bypass the switch but now I know what's going on. Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM

This is a good start. If you could figure out how to get express close, not that would be sweet.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Sounds like a waste of time.... With your suggestion, you still have to push a button twice. I'd rather not mess with something so trivial just so I have to let off the switch for a split second and repress it...
Agreed. Pushing the button a second time is hardly a big deal.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Agreed. Pushing the button a second time is hardly a big deal.
I disagree. Holding and pushing the button twice is a pain in the ass. It has been an annoyance since day one. This particular fix, however, is not worth it to me unless the roof will close on it's own. But I commend the effort.
IIRC, my 94 Jetta would close all the windows and roof at once with a turn and hold of the driver's door key. That was awesome.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I've got a couple ideas for one-touch operation that I am going to try in the next couple weeks. If they work, I will definitely post a write-up.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SkidPalace
I disagree. Holding and pushing the button twice is a pain in the ass. It has been an annoyance since day one. This particular fix, however, is not worth it to me unless the roof will close on it's own. But I commend the effort.
IIRC, my 94 Jetta would close all the windows and roof at once with a turn and hold of the driver's door key. That was awesome.
Well I agree with that, if it was something that would close the roof on its own. If you already have your finger on the button holding it, you don't even have to look at the roof you can feel and hear when the moonroof stops and you just let up on the button and press it again.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Well I agree with that, if it was something that would close the roof on its own. If you already have your finger on the button holding it, you don't even have to look at the roof you can feel and hear when the moonroof stops and you just let up on the button and press it again.
I'm confused. That is how the roof works stock. I was hoping for a one-push express close, just like the one-push express open of the moonroof and the front windows.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's good to see you took the time to pursue something you found annoying and posted up the results for the rest of us to see.

Clearly it does not appeal to everyone-but it was bothering you and you found a solution for it.

I was thinking about this today and since our rides are so dang reliable we kind of nit pick with one another at times over accessories and features to enhance our daily driving pleasure.

I applaud your efforts Jefe.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks Ron!

To each his own, right?

As soon as I get some extra cash this week I will build a pretty inexpensive one-touch system on the moonroof. I'll post results when I get them and I'm guessing I will get a little better response from that thread.

I ran a car stereo shop for 5 years and like to modify things in each of my vehicles to tailor them for my preferences. I once took the cruise control buttons and turned them into volume up/down for my stereo using mini relays. (This was before steering wheel controls became popular) When the CC was activated it drove the system, when it was deactivated it ran the volume.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup-whatever floats yer boat I always say!

You get it all perfected then everyone will be copying it.

good lookin ride by the way
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jefe23
) When the CC was activated it drove the system, when it was deactivated it ran the volume.
Now that is badass!! How hard was it to do? Cause I would love to do something like that. Electrical projects are some of my favorite mods to do to my truck.

I've always hated the safety halfway cutoff point on our sunroofs. Props for figuring out a solution. I may perform this on mine, but the switch needing to be pressed to reset the limit is holding me back for now. Let us know if you figure out a way around that, and definitely post up your one touch solution,

keep it up

Last edited by Mrbikerman; 08-03-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 AM

Yes, keep it up and you will be immortalized as the creator of the "Jefe Mod" that closes the sunroof with one press.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Well... after waiting a week or so for some relays to come in I had a little bit of time to install my ONE-TOUCH system. This is the first version and I still need to refine it a bit but for now, it works pretty well for a 30 min install.

I've attached a little teaser video I made with my phone but will post a full write-up and pictures once I get a little more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQuhRiwOHU
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 PM

K post the instructions... I want to do it! Do you still have to reset the limit switch?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM

As of right now, yes, you do have to reset the limit switch. You only have to 'reset' it once per open and close cycle. I still have some tweaking to do but I feel pretty confident that I can find a way around this. I'ts not a perfect system but for my first version I like it!

If anyone has a schematic on how this moonroof switch is wired I may be able to figure it out a little faster...

Last edited by Jefe23; 08-10-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 4Runner moonroof safety switch Defect and One Touch Operation moD