Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4Runner - Rear End Metal Clanking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4Runner - Rear End Metal Clanking Noise

Hey Guys

I want to preface my post with this: I have used the search function, read a plethora of opinions and advice relating to my situation and this post is simply an attempt to confirm my suspicions.

Vehicle in question is a 1997 4Runner 4WD Limited.

Within the last five (5) months there has developed a rather loud (to the degree that even with the windows up and radio on it is still noticeable) metal clanking sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I can replicate this sound simply by grabbing the roof rack and tugging on the passenger side. I have double checked the roof rack, spare tire, as well as the towing hitch. All appear to be tight.

Additionally, I have noticed that the rear end sags more so now (when under weight) than I remember before this clanking noise. Recently I have been working with my brother installing above/in-ground swimming pool liners and I have noticed that the when the cargo area contains six (6) bags of sand and the pool liner -- roughly 450 to 600 pounds -- the rear end sags significantly. But, under this weight, the metal clanking sound disappears (or becomes so slight that it cannot be heard over the engine).

I have concluded that my situation may be the result of worn out suspension, which brings me to my question. Would all of this information lead you to believe that the rear shocks need to be replaced? I have read plenty of forums posts that indicate how much a PITA they are to replace, but seeing as this is my wife's vehicle, I would rather change them now then to suffer her wrath should something "happen" when she was driving the vehicle.

Lastly, what about the coil springs? I have noticed under normal operating conditions (without cargo, merely kids) that the vehicle sits a little lower than normal and when going over bumps (speed bumps, or grooves on the highway due to bridges) that the vehicle seems to "bounce" excessively.

Any help would be appreciated.

-CRob
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shocks donot cause Sagging... as the "springs" on the vehicle determine the "ride-height."

Sounds like the Dust covers(Usually metal) are rusted and or broken and sitting on the bottom half of the shock or dangling on the piston shaft(Causing the rattle).

However its possible since you mentioned "sagging" it could be broken and or weak rear springs.

I would inspect the shocks first.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Thanks for such a quick response. It appears that my first attempt to identify the problem was merely a cursory view as I have just found out that the rear passenger side shock is broken.

Luckily for me, the shock broke free when I tugged on now I'll only have to remove the bottom bolt.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Check ALL bushings while under there...panhard, upper and lower links, and shocks. If a bushing has worn away and is causing metal to sit on metal, there's probably a good chance it will make a clanking sound every time you go over a bump.