Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'96 4Runner classic starter issues?....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 4Runner classic starter issues?....

OK, I read through the starter threads, and it sounds like typical starter issues on this truck. She said last few times she ran the truck that it took a few tries to get the truck to start (retrying the ignition switch), but now it won't turn over at all..... lights and everything are running at full power, and she can hear the fuel pump kick on..... It is a cold rainy day; I'm wondering if I can clean and warm things up, I'm hoping I can start it and drive home to Olds and then deal with the problem here in my garage, instead of lying on the street in Sherwood Park.

Are there any other possible causes for these symptoms? I'm confident it is not the battery. It wouldn't be the ignition switch itself, would it?

I'm frustrated as my wife is in Edmonton going to school and I am a good 2 hours drive away from her. (Why is it that the vehicles always know when the wife is driving and break down for her?!?!)

Anyhow, just wondering what tools I should bring to remove starter and / or contacts to replace them... How long does this take? I'm pretty handy at this sort of stuff, but I do work a little slower than most and take my time (seems to cut down on my amount of band-aids used when wrenching.)

Thanks in advance....

Edit: Oh, yeah, this is on a 3.4L; forgot to mention!

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 09-07-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just want to be able to get it home bang on the starter with a screwdriver while turning the key.

Rob
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great places to get started are here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...-heavy-105098/

and here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76347/

you'll probably need to call around to some alternator/starter shops this afternoon for the contacts and then spray down the bolts holding it in tonite, hopefully by tomorrow they will have loosened up
Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I love it when things work out as planned.

I picked up the starter contacts at Sherwood Park Toyota for about $50 Cdn and did the install. The larger contact was worn to half its usual thickness, so once I saw that, I was pretty confident that I had found the culprit.

Bolt removal was a PITA with little room to work, but the main frustration was wiggling that darn starter through the fender / frame "window".

The 4Runner fired up immediately after getting it all back together, and seems to be back to its usual good behavior.

It was soooo satisfying to do this cheap-o fix myself. Plus I enjoy electrical work. Start to finish it took me 3.5 hours with a half hour break for a thunderstorm passing through (and fighting with a few stubborn bolts - slowing me down.)

Just wanted to add to others attempting this fix:

Cover your hands with some nitrile gloves or tape over the firewall insulation!

My hands are SOOO itchy right now from all the little fiberglass bits imbedded in my skin!

(You will be glad you did it.)

Thanks for the help, YT rocks!