YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

5w-30 versus 10w-30 oil

Hi,

I own a 2004 4Runner SR5 V8 and the owner's manual recommended the 5w-30 oil. It also stated that if I can not find 5w-30 then I can use 10w-30 oil, but for the next oil change go back to 5w-30. Toyota made it sounds like the oil weight 5w-30 is critical for this vehicle. The only thing I can think of 5w-30 oil is better than 10w-30 is when you are driving in a very freezing climate.

Does anyone think of why Toyota make it sounds critical to use 5w-30 oil instead of 10w-30 oil?

Thank you in advance,
Jack
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
if I can not find 5w-30 then I can use 10w-30 oil, but for the next oil change go back to 5w-30.
If it said do not drive more than 10 miles and over 5mph with 10w-30, then it's critical
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

5w30 is supposed to give better fuel economy. Either will work fine. I use 10w30 most of the time.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to ByThaBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTacoma
5w30 is supposed to give better fuel economy. Either will work fine. I use 10w30 most of the time.
let's not forget what those numbers stand for. 5 winter, 30 (hot)... 10 winter, 30 (hot) .... so once you're up to operating temp it really doesn't matter.. ofcourse if you go with an oil like 5w30 or 0w30, i'd strongly recommend using synthetic becuase with such a difference 0 to 30 or 5 to 30 .. there are a lot of additives that need to be added to regular dino oil to make it hold up.. synthetics are designed from the ground up so they last longer, and don't need as many preservatives to do their job(s) ( along with other added benefits)
Old 06-30-2004, 03:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to motrhedx81
I've always used 10w30 in mine but I've had older vehicles. Now I use 10w40 because of my 190,000 miles. When you start to get up there in miles, the thicker oil will kind of take up some of the slack from the wear on the internal parts. Climate also has a lot to do with the choice of weights: colder climate needs lighter/thinner oil.

But like bythebay said, I'd go with a synthetic. Its little more expensive at first but you don't have to change you're oil as often and you can stick with the lighter weight oil longer. Wear on the parts will be a lot less with synthetic.
4" superlift (full rear springs, skidplate), dual steering stabilizer, downey 26mm torstion bars, 1.5" rear shackles, low profile bumpstops, 5.29's w/ V6 3rd, 35x12.5 BFG MT's on AR Outlaw II 15x10's, 2" wheel spacers, custom exhaust (pacesetter header, 2.25" single in/dual out flowmaster delta 40) custom built 3" intake with stock replacement K&N, LCE water pump, flex-a-lite fan, optima red top

My truck site
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to SLC Punk Send a message via MSN to SLC Punk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByThaBay
let's not forget what those numbers stand for. 5 winter, 30 (hot)... 10 winter, 30 (hot) .... so once you're up to operating temp it really doesn't matter.. ofcourse if you go with an oil like 5w30 or 0w30, i'd strongly recommend using synthetic becuase with such a difference 0 to 30 or 5 to 30 .. there are a lot of additives that need to be added to regular dino oil to make it hold up.. synthetics are designed from the ground up so they last longer, and don't need as many preservatives to do their job(s) ( along with other added benefits)
Umm no, the "W" stands for weight not winter.

5w30 is going to be a thinner oil than a 10w30

on colder days a 5w30 will get circulated faster than a 10w30. Because the weight is less.
1992 Celica All Trac (AWD-Turbo) #223 of 271 US spec for 1992
2005 Tundra Double Cab Limited 4X4 2.5" lift 265/70R17 Dueler Revo's SOLD
1997 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4 Supercharged Desert Dune SOLD :(

Last edited by SLC Punk; 06-30-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies. Last weekend I changed the oil in my 4Runner and use Mobil 1 10w-30 with Fram oil filter. I live in Houston, TX and it is hotter than hell during the summer months, therefore 10w-30 is probably be best to use.

I look at the Mobil web page and it seems like they say that these days most of the newer cars recommend to use 5w-30. Wonder why?
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_5W-30.asp

Last edited by Maverick2004; 06-30-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Punk

on colder days a 5w30 will get circulated faster than a 10w30. Because the weight is less.
I think he was just making a point with the W. Like lefty loosey.

I asked my dealer about why they use 10w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-30, said for my temps 10w-30 was just fine.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004
I look at the Mobil web page and it seems like they say that these days most of the newer cars recommend to use 5w-30. Wonder why?
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_5W-30.asp
fuel economy.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to SLC Punk Send a message via MSN to SLC Punk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac State
I think he was just making a point with the W. Like lefty loosey.

I asked my dealer about why they use 10w-30 instead of the recommended 5w-30, said for my temps 10w-30 was just fine.
Oh, my bad!! :pat:
1992 Celica All Trac (AWD-Turbo) #223 of 271 US spec for 1992
2005 Tundra Double Cab Limited 4X4 2.5" lift 265/70R17 Dueler Revo's SOLD
1997 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4 Supercharged Desert Dune SOLD :(
Old 06-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cruizin01
my dad has a 97 z-71 and 5w-30 is recommended for it. we always ran synthetic in it. well once we dicided to use 10w-30 syn. and when it was about 45 degrees or below F it would knock on start up for about 10-15 seconds. so it does make a difference. I will always run what is recommended.

1998 Std. Cab Tacoma_4x4_2.7L_5 speed_PPG Gloss Black_2" RB BL_OME 882's & springs_33x12.50 MTR's on 15x10 Eagles_Westin Safari Bar_PIAA 520 SMR/Fog_Clear Lenses_Rear Diff Breather Mod_Manual Hubs_Taurus electric fan _Kenwood cd/mp3 player_Boston Z Comps_Boston Pro 10.5_fosgate 800.4_jbl 600.1_1 farad cap_bugshield_Magnaflow muff w/Borla tip_Tint 35-sides;20-back Pic Page
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Contributing Member

"The Engine Oil Bible"
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...oil_bible.html

www.BadgeYourRide.com

Check this out Multi-Touch Interaction Research http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

Still A Neon
Old 06-30-2004, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to ByThaBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Punk

"The "W" or "Winter designation indicates that the oil meets viscosity requirements for low temperatures (below 30F). "

the source for this information is very credible (chevron !)

http://www.chevron.ca/ProductsServic...orOilLabel.htm

Old 06-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01
my dad has a 97 z-71 and 5w-30 is recommended for it. we always ran synthetic in it. well once we dicided to use 10w-30 syn. and when it was about 45 degrees or below F it would knock on start up for about 10-15 seconds. so it does make a difference. I will always run what is recommended.
If you have harsh winters like this, thinner is definately better (0w30 or 5w30). The 10w30 is fine for the summer though.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

2cents,
I grew up building hotrods in the Florida Sun. We used straight 50 weight oil to keep things cool. I also used a pre-oiler to get the oil moving before cold engine start.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MvCrash
2cents,
I grew up building hotrods in the Florida Sun. We used straight 50 weight oil to keep things cool. I also used a pre-oiler to get the oil moving before cold engine start.

Oh man, that takes me back!! I thought I was the only one on this board old enough to remember the days BEFORe multi-viscosity oil.... When I was a teenager I used to buy RingSeal brand reprocessed oil in 50 weight for my worn out old POS's - it was nice and thick, and it was 19 cents a quart! (Compared to a whopping maybe 39 cents for real oil...) But then gas was only about 35 cents per gallon then...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Oh man, that takes me back!! I thought I was the only one on this board old enough to remember the days BEFORe multi-viscosity oil.... When I was a teenager I used to buy RingSeal brand reprocessed oil in 50 weight for my worn out old POS's - it was nice and thick, and it was 19 cents a quart! (Compared to a whopping maybe 39 cents for real oil...) But then gas was only about 35 cents per gallon then...
Remember pulling into a gas station and asking for 2 bucks worth of high test so the big block would'nt knock and sputter and you could leave the timing advanced.
I'm thinking about putting a blower on my 2.7 but don't want to pay for high test gas, imagine that 2 bucks a gallon. In my last hotrod, I don't think 2 bucks worth would get it started and running.....35 cents a gallon was the 70's, a good time to build hotrods. I had a few of the great ones, I miss them.
looking forward to building the 2001 Taco I just bought. and I use 5w30 mobile one since its the northeast and gets cold.

Mvcrash

Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to denverbikeguy Send a message via Yahoo to denverbikeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2004
Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies. Last weekend I changed the oil in my 4Runner and use Mobil 1 10w-30 with Fram oil filter.
Ack! Good oil, CRAP filter!! Fram's are about the worst you can use. Honestly some of the best ones out there are the Carquest-branded filters, since they're made by Wix. Like 40 micron filtering with the Fram's vs 9 micron with the Wix. I have some highly reputable sources for this information, so much so that I even use the CQ filters on my race motorcycles now (and I don't use anything but the best on those, running at 13k RPM you want to know your lubrication system is at 100%).

As soon as my stock of OEM Toyota filters runs out, I will probably switch to the CQ filters on the 'Runner as well.

FWIW CQ does sponsor me, so I don't pay for 'em - but if I felt they were substandard I would not use them (or accept their sponsorship), and if they didn't sponsor me I'd still buy the products.

Check out http://www.cosportbikeclub.org for great info on riding in Colorado and other bike goodies.
http://www.teamskinny.net - The best motorcycle racing site in the world!
http://www.racing2savelives.org - Racing 2 Save Lives - Motorcyclists making a difference!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to superjoe83
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverbikeguy
Ack! Good oil, CRAP filter!! Fram's are about the worst you can use. Honestly some of the best ones out there are the Carquest-branded filters, since they're made by Wix. Like 40 micron filtering with the Fram's vs 9 micron with the Wix. I have some highly reputable sources for this information, so much so that I even use the CQ filters on my race motorcycles now (and I don't use anything but the best on those, running at 13k RPM you want to know your lubrication system is at 100%).

As soon as my stock of OEM Toyota filters runs out, I will probably switch to the CQ filters on the 'Runner as well.

FWIW CQ does sponsor me, so I don't pay for 'em - but if I felt they were substandard I would not use them (or accept their sponsorship), and if they didn't sponsor me I'd still buy the products.
just to let everybody know, NAPA gold filters are made by WIX also
1984 SR5 4runner, 22re, 5-speed, chevy 63"s, rears up front custom pack, BBCS shocks, 2" BL, 5.29's, welded rear, Detroit in front, Longfields, IFS Rear, 39.5x13.50x15 IROK's, Marlin's High Steer, MC07 with stock cases, Marlin's cross member, tube bumper, Warn XD9000, Allied Beadlocks
1999 Taco 2.7 5-speed, LCE Header, Jardine 2.25 Cat-Back, 3" Downey Coilover, 33x13.5 Toyo MT's, ARB Bull Bar, Retrofitted Acura TL HID Projectors with 50W ballasts and 50W DL50 Philips 3900k bulbs
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Contributing Member

As someone stated before, 5w-30 has more additives to meet that range than a 10w-30 and this causes some of the 5w-30's out there to shear and lose their viscosity over time. Mobil1 is notorious for shearing with its 5w-30 SS, it still shows good wear numbers but it starts about a 29 weight and ends a 26-27 weight. Oils like Amsoil and German Castrol(0W-30) start out at a heavy 33W and shear to like 30W which IMHO is better. Dont get me wrong, Mobil and the GC both show great wear numbers so Im not raggin on Mobil, I just like the fact that the GC is a 0W on start but thickens to a nice 30W. I just finished an oil analysis on Amsoil 5w-30 which was great and Im running GC now to compare. There are alot of 3.4L guys that run Mobil 10w-30 because they claim its hard on engine oil and tends to make oils like Mobil1 shear so the 10w-30 holds its viscosity better.

2001 Xtracab Prerunner 73K miles
3.4L 4spd Auto
Hella FF50 Driving Lights
Dynomax Race Magnum Exhaust
Crimestopper Alarm
Clear Corners
TRex Billet Grille
Carbon Fiber Altezza Tails
SmittyBuilt Nerf Bars
Premier DEH-P460MP Cd/Mp3 Player
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
10, 10w, 10w30, 30, 5w, 5w30, difference, mobil, motor, oil, summer, suv, sw, teh, versus, winter