Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen. DAC plug...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen. DAC plug...

I don't know if anyone remembers, but my 2003 SR5 4runner came prewired for almost everything. I installed the factory fogs, just like plug and play. Lately, I have been noticing that there are plugs for everything, Daytime running lights, auto on lights, which is pretty cool because I don't have change my wiring harness to add anything to my Runner.

This weekend I took off the console cover to move my XM haed unit. This cover is the one that goes around the shifter, has the ash tray/12v outlet, and the button covers for DAC (down hill assist), seat warmers, etc.
I have a SR5 so I don't have any of those buttons. When I looked under the cover, I noticed that it has two plugs. One plug goes into the 12v outlet in the ashtray compartment. The other is directly attached to that one, but is taped back.

I am wondering what the other plug goes to, My fogs were the same way. The plugs were on the blinker wire, but taped back the same way.

Does anyone know what that other plug is for? Could anyone check? It is really easy to remove that cover. It is only held together with clips and pulls straight up and snaps right down, no screws or anything.

I am wondering if that plug is for the DAC. Would I have to have 4WD to have DAC?

I appreciate the help guys.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 AM

I cannot tell you what that plug is for. But I do think that you need 4wd to have DAC. Reason being that you have to be in 4Lo to activate DAC. However, my second thought leads me to wonder why would it matter. DAC is just a bunch of sensors and a computer controlling the brakes. If all the 4th gen (2wd and 4wd) can have UAC standard, why not DAC.

I know, Toyota just wants to milk us more
Old 02-10-2004, 09:54 AM

BTW, how are you turning the foglights on/off without the factory switch?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:23 AM

If I remember correctly he bought the new stalk with the fog switch on it.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:57 AM

Is that plug for the 115volt adapter -option, that you can get? Or maybe for a optional outlet under the rear vents, behind the center consoul?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:12 PM

I did get a new stalk for the fogs. 4th gens. have 3 types of light stalks.

1) a regular stalk with a switch for the headlights only ( SR5 with cladding)

2) a stalk with a switch for headlights and fogs ( SR5 w/o cladding, color keyed)

3) a stalk with a switch for headlights, fogs, DRL, and auto on (limited)

As for the plug, I have 115v, that one is plugged in, so its not that one. I don't believe that there is an outlet for the rear console. It definitely has to be one of the 3 empty buttons.

Anyone with a SR5 w/4wd and DAC willing to pull the cover off and look to see if there are only two plugs, one to the 12v and one somewhere else?
Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM

The second harness is for the cigarette lighter. When you install teh ashtray, you wind up with two 12V outlets (regular power outlet and cigarette lighter). There is a wiring harness to each. Total power for both -- not each -- remains at 120W, though.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:18 PM

Your the man, thank you for the insight.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Yosmany
Your the man, thank you for the insight.
NO problem -- the ashtray was one of the best mods I've made....and I don't smoke! Good to have 2 power ports up front.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 AM

yosemany,

Did you put the Limited stalk on? I have a sport and was wondering if I got the limited stalk if then I would have the auto lights.

BTW I don't think there is any switch on any of these stalks for the drl's. They go on and off automatically.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:20 AM

Is there enough cord to run it to the mid-seat area? I want to put my X-box under the front passenger seat. Maybe I could use that second plug to power it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM

TOYBOX,

I was pretty sure that the limited stalk had a switch DRL's, but maybe I was wrong. My girlfriend has a new Solara and it has a DRL off switch. Maybe I got those confused. Is there a limited guy that can chime in on this.

As for adding things. My 4runner came prewired for most things. that means that I have the wiring harness, but none of the components. So for me to add the fogs, I had to get the fog lights, the fuse relay, and the new stalk.

I was also told that I was wired for DRL'S and auto lights. So if you are wired for the lights then all you need id the components.

There should be a light sensor by the defroster vent on the drivers side, it is circular. There are two holes there one is the light sensor, the other, I don't know.

So you would need the light sensor, the new stalk, and I believe a relay for the fuse box. The it's just plug and play.

Hope this helps.

GATORS

If you have the second plug in the center console, can't imaging why you couldn't hard wire the XBOX in. But like JHARRIS said, it is total power for both, so I don't think you could use the other 12v if your using the XBOX.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Yosmany,

Thanks for the reply. I already have the fogs so I just have to check for that sensor.

Could you tell me what you paid for the sensor, the Limited stalk and the relay? TIA
Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 AM

Had that same cover off last night working on a light switch. I was wondering what they were for as well? Can't believe how easy it was to just pop that thing off. I got out all the tools out and never needed them. I did find that by removing the 2 bolts in the bottom it would give me plenty of wiggle room to run the wires to the fire wall.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Actually you can disassemble the whole dash and center console with a phillips screw driver and a 10 mm socket/wrench. Our 4th Gens are plastic and just snap together.

I didn't pay for the stalk or the relay, I had a friend at Toyota get it for me off a totaled 4runner, pure luck and timing. I got the fogs for $50 a piece on ebay, that was luck and timing as well. I have a freind that is a parts manager here at a Toyota dealship. He just called California about the sensor and relay for the auto lights. I should hear back form him soon, i'll keep you posted as soon as I know. It might be a little bit later because of the 3 hour difference.

My stalk with the fog switch only, should have cost about $110, but the limited stalk is much more, I'll get that info for you too.

The relay was like $15 - $20, I know it was not much. It's just a fuse.

I'll find all this out and get back to you.

Right now we're looking into whether you have to have the DRL's to get the auto lights. If it is so then you would need to buy new headlamps, which is extremely expensive. if not all you need the is the stalk, relay, and sensor.

I don't believe I have the sensor, I know I am wired for it, but not that it is there.

I'll find out.

Last edited by Yosmany; 02-11-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM

Thanks again yosmany. The drl's are in the turn signals so they won't effect the headlights.

Joe

btw.........TIA - thanks in advance );
Old 02-11-2004, 05:28 PM

I'm sorry, who's the newbie.
:pat:

Your right about the DRL's, they don't affect the Auto lights.

The news from Cali is that all you need is the sensor, and the stalk. The relay works off the regular headlight fuse. From what they tell me, I believe that I have the sensor already. There are two holes on the dash, one is convex and the other is concave. He described to me what the sensor looks like, and I believe he described the convex one. I had him order a sensor anyway to see what it looks like, to see if it is what is already installed in my runner. He also ordered a new limited stalk to get a good look at it. They will be here Friday, so I'll know by then or Saturday.

Have you checked to see if you already have sensor. There is a picture of it in the parts catalog, on partznet.com.

My paper parts catalog has it listed as

SOLAR SENSOR

and there are two of them

a LIMITED one part # 88625-51010 $85.61
a SR5, SPORT one, # 88790-35070 $28.99

I don't know why, but I will know by Friday.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:35 AM

Excellent!

I have a sensor there but it looks like I will need the Limited sensor anyway. I can't wait to hear if this will work out.

Also the Limited stalk at Partznet cost $88. This could wind up to be fairly cheap. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:49 PM

Yosmany,

Any word yet?
Old 02-13-2004, 02:42 PM

Nope I won't the parts until Saturday, and I won't be able to install them until sunday, but I post as soon as I know.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen. DAC plug...