Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????

I am expecting my Lift tomorrow and should have it installed by late Saturday. Question is around tires and stock wheels, has anyone mounted 285/75 R16's on stock wheels with the revtech lift? I expect to do some trimming, but if its more than trimming/removing mudflaps and minor inner wheel well trimming a may want to re think my plans. Backup plan is to mount 265/75 BF Goodrich A/t's... I hate wuss out becuase of a little work. If someone can offer an advise it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Taints2k3
I am expecting my Lift tomorrow and should have it installed by late Saturday. Question is around tires and stock wheels, has anyone mounted 285/75 R16's on stock wheels with the revtech lift? I expect to do some trimming, but if its more than trimming/removing mudflaps and minor inner wheel well trimming a may want to re think my plans. Backup plan is to mount 265/75 BF Goodrich A/t's... I hate wuss out becuase of a little work. If someone can offer an advise it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Good Times or Fourunabilly should know.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:24 PM

I don't have that lift, but I know of some guys that do and have been able to run that size tire with only minor trimming. As soon as my tires come in I will be running that size with the Fabtech 3.5 Performance lift.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Good Times or Fourunabilly should know.

Funny thing is the Fourunabilly (Billy) is running 315's and he states that he does not rub. I dunno but the difference between his setup and my setup is that I"m running the custom Downey coilovers whereas he's running the revtek spacers. Looking at the measurements from the ground to fender comparison between the two different setup is that I have a slight height advantage on the front (due to the coilovers) but he gains more in the rear with is custom spacer/airbags setup.

Personally, I was rubbing like crazy with the 285's I have right now (MT/R's btw). I ended up removing the front and rear mudflaps and also had to cut a small section of the front bumper on the bottom as while turning (full lock) I would rub and you can hear the tire threads hitting the bumper (the sound is pretty nasty if you don't like hearing stuff like that). You can take the inner fender off but I'd say you really don't need to do that. Also if you do, you'll run into problems as the intake system is located on the passenger system and if you have any rain, it'll suck up water like mad and you will have a greater chance to hydrolock your motor (not a good idea). so I'd say keep the inner fender on there as long as you can You can prob trim some of the bottom area off where you notice rubbing though.

Anyway, you should be able to fit 285's with minimal rubbing like any vehicle will when upgrading to 285's! I think if you plan to do any offroading you'll want the 285's in there instead of the 265/75's

As for me I didn't use my stock wheels but went w/ some aftermarket one.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I started the install and almost immediatly ran into problems. I am unable to get the driver side rear shock off. The passenger side was cake, but the driver side bottom bushing will not break loose. Sucks, was gonna have tires put on tomorrow. I sprayed a crap load of WD-40 on it and got the bigger hammer ready to try again tomorrow. Anyone have this happen?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

My 16" MT Classic Locks didn't clear my calipers. I just sent them back today.

Check it out closely before mounting!

Doug
Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

I think you gotta becareful on the BS as well as the offset. I read that the 16" offset is something like 20mm with 4" BS? or something not sure

My AR wheels were 0 offset with 4.5" BS ...

good luck
Old 02-26-2004, 07:36 PM

Taint-

You should be just fine with the 3" revtek and the 285's...Good Times (Lance) only had to do minimal trimming, and he wheels his runner to hell. He is also running the same upper control arms that I am (Inland Truck Uniball), I had to get them cause my 315's were rubbing the stock arms pretty bad. One thing I have on my side is the backspacing and offset of my Konig Tremor's 17x8.5...they seem to help me tuck larger tires in as they really suck into the wheel weel...in fact, with the 315's(35's), I still dont even stick out beyond the fender and/or running boards. I had to trim about a foot of the front inner fender plastic and cut about 2" off the lower part of the front bumper...you truly have to look to notice though as i sanded and painted it out. I also had to yank the mud flaps and do minimal fender trimming on that side of the well as well. With my 33's though, all i had to do was yank the mud flaps and cut off the front "cups" from the inner fender and had absolutely no rubbing at all.

Currently, my rig measures 40" from the ground to the bottom of the front fender, and 42" in the rear. I had a special front spacer fabbed to add to the black revtek one...the kit comes with two spacers, a black one and a 3/8" thick silver one. I had a 3/4" steel spacer made to the specs of the 3/8" spacer and added it to the setup while my control arms were in route...adding this extras 3/8" of an inch gave me almost 1" at the wheels. My ground clearance is now almost 15", but will go to about 13.5" when I do my diff drop. Anyway, this is probably way more than you needed to hear.

285's will fit...good luck

Billy
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 PM

After extensive use of an Air Chisel on the driver side rear shock and trip to the dealership to replace driver side front strut(leaking at 15k???) the lift and tires are on. I did end up getting the BFG 285's they look real good but not sure if they are big enough I had to cut the cones under the front bumper off and trim quit a bit of the inner front fender. Today I realized I still have some rubbing, with the wheels turned just a little, going down my front curb it hits pretty hard on the front side cladding. I really didnt want to trim it but better then ripping it off. Ill post some pictures soon.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:51 PM

Taint-

Good to hear you went with the 285's. Bet it looks great. I had to chop off about 3 inches from my front bumper, but you would never know by looking at it. Being 100% straight with ya, my 315's only rub the frame on the inside of the tire/fender on a full turn, other than that my rears stuff pretty tight, but nothing to worry about. As stated previously though, I swapped the 3/8" front spacer for a 3/4" custom one, and am running the Inland Truck Uni-ball upper control arms. Can't wait to see the pics.

Billy
Old 03-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Don't worry about the rubbing. I had rubbing on the bumper which was pretty bad. I ended up cutting a big chunk of the bottom corner of the bumper. You might experience some rubbing on the inner fender area by your frame I think. I gotta check my truck to see where I rub as I know I still rub on certain areas when I air down.

Btw, just turn carefully and not hard
Old 03-03-2004, 11:04 AM

Here is some pictures after the lift and the 285's.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????-truckweb.jpg  
Old 03-03-2004, 11:05 AM

total of 3 pics.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????-truckweb2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

LOokin good

btw, what made ya go w/ the arb air? Just wondering.... I hope you're not gonna use that to air up cuz you'll fry the motor plus it'll be slloooow.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Still a bit more trimming needed.......
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????-truckwebfront.jpg  
Old 03-03-2004, 11:12 AM

Thanks! I got a good deal on the ARB, no other reason, really dont even need it. I did use it once to air up tires after surf fishing, but wont take long to burn it up with these tires...Only thing I found it good for is filling up kids arm floaties!!! And a smoker could fill those up with a breath or 2...
Old 03-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

I'm ready to pull my hair out on this one. I have just tried my third set of 16" wheels on my 4th Gen, all with the same result. Your ride looks sweet with those 285/16's. Thats what I'm trying to accomplish!

Regardless of bs and/or offset I can't get a 16 to clear my calipers. The last set were American Racing Atlas' 16" with 4.5 bs and 0 offset.

Do you guys suppose our calipers are the same? I was thinking about a tow package or something that would've increased my caliper size!?!?!

I'm still lost on this one. It's been nearly a month since I started with MT Classic's. There must be at least six 4th Gens running 16's.

Maybe I'll just run the 315 (on a 17") like Billy has. Besides I have a saws-all.

Any heads up would be great. Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by 02Runner; 03-14-2004 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Forgotten info
Old 03-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Doug do you have a sr5/limited or sport? If you have the sport, the problem will be that it has larger brakes. The sr5/limited has 12" brakes while the sport has 13" brakes so there in lies the issue. If you do have the sport, I don't think you will be able to fit any 16" wheels. I believe you are pretty much stuck w/ 17" wheels unless there are some companies that has some weird sizing that'll clear everything.

If you do have a sr5/limited then I know you should be able to fit any 16x8 wheel with an offset of zero and backspacing of 4.5 This is the spec wheel that I have and it works. When I look at the brakes it is only a few millimeters away from hitting it but it does clear.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:50 PM

GoodTimes, is this true on the 2004's as well? I was under the impression that my 2004 V8 Limited had teh larger brakes, which is one of the reasons it had the larger towing capacity?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Duc Hunter:

Not sure about the 04 model but the easiest way to find out is measure the disc and see how big it is. It should be either 12 or 13" (approx). If you have the 13" then you know you have the larger brakes...

I was basing the information onthe 03's since that's what I have. I'm not sure what has changed on the 04's though.

Quick Reply: 4th gen. 3inch RevTech and 285/75????