Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4ROC- Dont Let it Die

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4ROC- Dont Let it Die

C'mon guys. We realize everyone wants a pretty 4ROC sticker to put on the back windshield of your car. However, we must first do work before we reap these benefits. This club gained alot of momentum when it was brought up last week. Now we must do all we can to keep it from dieing the way it did 8 months ago.

MadChemist has put alot of work into this club drafting out Charters for us and I say we do our share. All those willing to put in some time, send us emails and we can figure something out. They will be the ones to recieve the 4ROC logo for their rigs.

MadChemist and I spoke breifly and we believe that it would be best to impliment a trial period for the State Chapters before combining 4ROC into a national organization. This will provide each Chapter with the ability to govern itself through guidelines set forth for all states. It is easiest to organize a new club when it is small. Therefore, we will remain individual State 4ROC Clubs until October 1st, when we will decide whether to combine or to keep seperate for a little longer. While the chapters are seperate they will manage their own finances, host their own websites, accept new members, etc.

Please dont think Im flaming on any of you. Im just trying to evoke some possitive reactions in the form of people willing to put in time for a worthy cause.

I probably missed some stuff, but please email myself or MadChemist if your willing to put in time. (Please email us even if you have said before that you can do something- I am going to create a database including what you say you might be able to do).

Dave

Last edited by prolax13; 06-18-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know what I can do - not exactly swift with web stuff. Dabbled mostly - but I've ways wanted to learn. I learned Page Mill when it came out, but haven't gotten back to it. Ya ya I know, it's not hard core coding. I've expanded my Adobe library to include Go Live. Again, only dabbled. I just need some time to mess with it. I've dabbled in graphics stuff too - Photoshop Illustrator and even a little Access DB.

Don't know how, but I'm willing.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

id say getting a working website with at least some basic content for each respective chapter will be the best way to attract members

once you get a decent member base for each state then its alot easier to organize get togethers etc

hardest part is getting the ball rollin !
Old 06-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds similar to my post on an other 4ROC thread.
I do not have a ton of computer talent. I have only been a 4Runner owner for a week, but I am excited about this club and want to do anything I can to help. I can work some e-mail or other brainless chores, but I am more than willing. Mail is on the way!

Let's Go!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM

yup me too. i've had my 4Runner for about a month now and am really excited about 4ROC. im not very good with computer stuff either. but im willing to put in tons of time to help the cause. i only work about 2 days a week(when i do work half the time im on here cause i have an easy job) so i can do tons of online stuff at work, also since im taking summer quarter off of school i have quite a bit of free time. i'll email both of you guys. just let me know what needs to be done and i'll see what i can do.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

The Ohio chapter hasn't gotten any support so I doubt there will be one. However if there is anything I can do to help the greater good, count me in.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been a computer geek for eons (I've coded for a paycheck for about 25 years)... what kind of help are you thinking that you need?

My HTML work is passible, but only straight-forward pages. I'm from the "old school" in that I don't like a lot of flash on a page, so I tend to do pages pretty flat with a straight forward information push.

My art creativity is lame, though I feel that I have a good critical "eye"- and I can code what someone else comes up with.

I'm happy to do what I can... I've been following the 4ROC thread, and haven't seen a lot of call for help. It looks like you and David (Mad Chemist) have a handle on direction and are working on a charter and such. That's a solid start.

Even if 4ROC starts up as just a couple of states, that's okay. As long as you (we!) make a splash and do things as a group, then the word will spread and other chapters will spring up.

Most of the things I've seen like this grow from folks recognizing that there's something organized "over there" and want to be a part of it in their own back yard.

Lemme (us!) know what we can do!

Mark
Old 06-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in the same catergory as most when it comes to web page tallent. But if there is ANYTHING else I can do I would be up for it. I know b/w Prolx, NCSU, and myself we will make sure that the NC Chpter is rolling but we need more states, and groups of "mis fits" <-- no offense, I heard that mentioned in one of the chats. But we can do this if at least everyone on this board is open to the challege.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:50 AM

IMHO, none of this stuff matters right now. Websites, stickers, etc. are nice, but we need to agree on a few basic rules for membership and guidelines for websites (both chapter websites and the 4Roc.com site). Someone then needs to foot the bill for the domain name, DNS service, etc..

THEN we can start talking about who's going to do what for which website. Hell, once all that other stuff is figured out, I'd be happy to make a template chapter webpage that you all could use as a shell to create your own chapter sites. Just a thought.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:55 AM

All agreed as to priorities...

The domain cost is dirt cheap these days; go through an OpenSRS site and you're looking at about $10/year.

You mention DNS service, and this should be one of the initial bullet points to decide on. Are folks thinking that this will be hosted privately (i.e. on a machine in someone's bedroom) or on a commerical hosting service?

There are ups and downs to either way...
Old 06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Mark,

What are the pro's and con's of each?
Old 06-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Commercial pros/cons:
More reliable, higher bandwidth, better backups, more secure
More expensive

Home biz based ones (like mine!):
Reverse all that, but add infinite control to the mix.

If we're going to start on a shoestring (which we are, obviously, since we're struggling to get 5 people from a handful of states), I'd say let the states start separate (do it however they like), then if we have adequate momentum in October to justify taking this to the nat'l/intl level, we hit up denverbikeguy to host it right, with all the states merging in there.

My $0.02.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 AM

I agree. I can host the NY chapter site on my work server (that's where I host my personal site). But once the traffic gets high, work might start asking questions. It'll be enough to get thing rolling though.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:26 AM

sounds good guys. and it sounds like madchemist will have the charter and everything finally nailed down and set in stone this weekend.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Mark,

What are the pro's and con's of each?
Scottiac's pretty much got them nailed. (thanks!)

Personally, unless you find someone that has the bandwidth and the system smarts to run it from their home, I'd go with a commercial service.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:50 AM

I say go with privately hosted websites until this club grows large enough to require commercial hosting.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

When you say "expensive" for commer. hosting, what kind of dough are we talking about?
Old 06-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Agreed, I think the first thing to do is achieve the critical mass of people, get the chapters strung together and communicating and then tie them all in when we know what we have. Skip the logos and stickers, just build the groups for now. I'm sure each chapter will come up with it's own website, then we can connect them. Virginia is on the way...
Old 06-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Another downside that I see from keeping it separate "state chapters" from the get go is that each state has to have it's own store of web knowledge. You might have a number of people that are interested in helping from one area, but you might not have all the talent to produce a good website from every area that has involved and interested members.

If you do more of a national first approach, you do not need to be as deep, and evenly distributed, in talent as having 8-10 seperate "state" sites up and running.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:44 PM

id be very interested but i dont think there is anyone near me

Quick Reply: 4ROC- Dont Let it Die