Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4" Deckplate vs. 6" Deckplate

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
This has been scientifically proven on a dyno many times (even by Gadget).
There is nothing "for show" about this mod.
many times? where are the other results? and isn't gadget supercharged? You can not compare the gains on a very tricked out motor to a stocker.

I do remember seeing a test from someone in Tn I think a few years ago on the old Tacoma board and results were so slight that there were points through the range that the closed box produced more. It did at peak show slightly more hp, but we are talking less than 5hp. You simply can not feel that. That is totally impossible. You can get that kind of gain in going from an old air filter to a new one.

As I have said before I did this trick and my truck ran like garbage. It was loud and I got horrible gas mileage. That was not in my head.

If you like the extra noise and you can trick yourself in to thinking you are feeling something you can't, enjoy. I am offering another view so that the others who experience similar results don't think they are crazy or there is something wrong with their truck when they try this.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PistonSlap
many times? where are the other results? and isn't gadget supercharged? You can not compare the gains on a very tricked out motor to a stocker.

You can use a search button just as well as I can (gains will vary but may actually be greater percent-wise on a N/A engine).
http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm

I do remember seeing a test from someone in Tn I think a few years ago on the old Tacoma board and results were so slight that there were points through the range that the closed box produced more. It did at peak show slightly more hp, but we are talking less than 5hp. You simply can not feel that. That is totally impossible. You can get that kind of gain in going from an old air filter to a new one.

I think it depends on the person. A fair statement might be that "you" can't feel that. Depending on what you've done to your system, you may not feel a lot of difference. Some folks say that they can feel 2-3hp worth of change, some folks say that's a number that's only really viewable on a dyno. The point being that just 'cause you can't see a night/day tire squealing difference doesn't mean it's not there.

As I have said before I did this trick and my truck ran like garbage. It was loud and I got horrible gas mileage. That was not in my head.

I have no idea why your truck ran like "garbage", but I highly doubt this had anything to do with it.....unless you never reset the ECU but even then eventually it should relearn according to the new circumstances. Did you also have the ISR mod?

If you like the extra noise and you can trick yourself in to thinking you are feeling something you can't, enjoy. I am offering another view so that the others who experience similar results don't think they are crazy or there is something wrong with their truck when they try this.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own view....I am not here to change your mind, only to say this gain has been documented and certainly more than once.
Responses in red.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-27-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:14 PM

This is one of those things where you do what you believe works best for your engine. I'm not about to tell any of you that you are wrong but I will say this. Not all engines will always produce the same results and we all know that to be fact.
Some run better then others and if you tested several I would be willing to bet that you would see a spread from no gain in power to a possiable 5-20 hp.
Way to many things to consider when testing like the Elevation, weather, what brand gas , new or used sensors. last tuneup, filters used for test and so on. Just my openion on this subject ;0) Mike
Old 05-27-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jamie's got most of this handled, but to answer one specific question:

Originally Posted by PistonSlap
and isn't gadget supercharged?
He wasn't when he ran the airbox dyno tests.

And, if the link isn't clear, he picked up 9hp from opening up the box (or pulling the elbow):

My dyno run showed +5hp (and I also did it pre s/c)... I can dig it up if you'd like.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Wait...so a 6" DP will fit a 2000 4Runner 3.4L airbox right?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Wait...so a 6" DP will fit a 2000 4Runner 3.4L airbox right?
I think a 5" fit the best but they are tougher to find.
The 6" will go off the edge a bit but will seal up fine.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I think a 5" fit the best but they are tougher to find.
The 6" will go off the edge a bit but will seal up fine.
Ditto, but Gangus, note the dyno chart and how Gadget found the same gains between opening the air box and just pulling the elbow.

The point being that there's a point of diminishing returns... A 6" deckplate is of course larger than a 4", but it won't get you any more air. A N/A engine will only use what it sucks based on the vacuum generated by the pistons on the intake stroke and limited by the size of the valves. Once you get to that point, anything more is moo.

There was a thread here a long while back (a year or more?) where someone did the math at just how much air the 3.4L can actually suck in. I think it was part of a thread where someone was trying to make a case for using one of the "electric leaf blower turbos" that you see on eBay.

Now of course this all goes to pot when you start talking about a S/C'd engine that's forcing air down through the intake and into the cylinders.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Im only mentioning a 6" DP becuase thats the only thing I can find.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Ahhh... carry on then!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:46 PM

This company sells about any size you need but here is there 4.5" for $7.00 plus shipping. Hope this helps, Mike
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...item_num=30771
Old 05-28-2005, 05:48 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how you gain anything by cutting the elbow off? You already have air flow so why cut it? Unless you make the hole bigger where the elbow was then the air flow would remain the same. Maybe I'm missing somthing here? Mike
Old 05-28-2005, 06:01 AM

After reading Gadgets artical again I see where he said the elbow restricks air flow due to the sharp bend. That makes sence to me now. He also stated that he got real close to the same results as cutting a hole in the box by just removing the elbow and recomends that rout instead of cutting a hole in the box.

From his site: "Now if you just cut open the front of the box you get 6.4 HP over the stock box for free or 9.6 over the K&N FIPK. Remember from the previous chart you will get basically the same results by removing the elbow as cutting open the box. I think this might be the way to go so you can pop it back in if you decide to go swimming."
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 PM

I went with removing the elbow from the box and by cutting off the rivet holding it and trimming the little plastic tabs down so I could pull out the elbow. I screened in the hole in the box from the inside useing a piece of screen and silicone.
I left the wheel well flange for the elbow in tact and then I cut a trimmed the elbow so that I can pop it back in for off road or dusty days. Really works great!
I'll be taking a 700 miles trip next week and we'll see if I can feel any extra power or improved gas milage. We are allowed to do 70 mph on our expressway's here in WV. It does seem a little better on the hill leading to my driveway.