Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

???3rd Gen vs. 2nd Gen Off-Road???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???3rd Gen vs. 2nd Gen Off-Road???

Okay I know this is likely to start a fight but hae wondered sinc I have started looking at 2nd Gens. as an alternative for my sick baby 3rd Gen.

How do 2nd Gen Runners compare to 3rd Gen Runners off road? Is one better than the other and if so why. Now we are talking basic 3rd Gen no e-lockers considered. Basic 4WD V6 3rd Gen vs. basic 4WD V6 2nd Ged. How do they stack up and which performs better and why? Is it easier to lift and modify which of the two?? I'm looking at alot of 95 2nd Gens and want a capable 4x4 to start with is this a goodroute o should I cotinue to look for a late model 3rd Gen likey 96'? I could sav alot of money by going the 2nd gen route but is there a big enough diff. in off road peformance b/w the two to justify the money? Lets hear it guys, what have ya got to say about your respective years of Runners?
Old 04-08-2003, 04:02 PM

I have had both..and quite simply the 3.4l makes the biggest difference. You can't discount the Elocker either, because it is factory, and makes a huge difference offroad. The ole' 3.0l I had was just anemic on and offroad. I also had tranny overheating problems in my '91 when I used/abused it offroad and even on freeway driving. Get the '96+ and be happier in the long run. The only think that gives a 2nd gen the nod is the fact that there is real lift kits available (4+inches)..however unless you plan on rockcrawling with the bigdawgs, 285's should get you anywhere you need to go.

Just my opinion.

fyi ~ no SC available for a 2nd gen of any displacement
Old 04-08-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had to choose between a 95 and a 97, I would get a 97 with a V-6 and an e-locker, although you say that is not an option.

I have a 95, with mild mods I run 33's. Good weekend wheeler and such, but I would not mind having a stock locker and a 3.4

You can practically improve travel on the 3rd gens with ATS and Sway-Aways. On my 95, the front is pretty stiff.

Stock to stock, the engine makes the difference. Future mods make the new one practical, but perhaps the cash you save on the 95 could get some minor mods???
Old 04-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of off roading? Rockcrawling and mudding require completely different setups.

If rockcrawling (or doing anything slow) then I'd say get the 2nd gen. The steering and front suspension is stronger and it has better ground clearance at the doors than the 3rd gen. You don't need power to rock crawl so the 3.4L isn't an advantage.

Yes, the 3rd gen has a locker, but with the money you save you can add an ARB or elocker, plus, probably have money left over for a lift or MTRs, or a front locker.

If you're mudding or sand duning, then you'll want the extra power of the 3.4L. But that's all I know about mudding, so I won't say anything more on that. The 3.4L is also and advantage for towing, general street fun and getting to the trail.

So in summary, you can make the 2nd gen more capable for the same amount of money that you will spend on the stock 3rd gen.

Steve
Old 04-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, I will back you on that Steve.. The 2nd gen truck (using the prameters he specified) is a better rig.. it has some bad points The IFS being one, However it 96+ is still IFS and a lot weaker.. I am talking steering gear here as well. The the rack & pinion is great... if you have a car! IMHO, it has not place on a truck..

The 3.0 is very hapy at most all 4wheeling untill you get to mud like Steve mentioned.. However, wheeling in mud is kinda like going thru life determined to be a moron.. Sure you ca do it, but you just end up being stupid..
Old 04-08-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
The 3.0 is very hapy at most all 4wheeling untill you get to mud like Steve mentioned.. However, wheeling in mud is kinda like going thru life determined to be a moron.. Sure you ca do it, but you just end up being stupid..
Old 04-08-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2 cents:

"It's not the wand, it's the magician".

Bob
Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Here are a couple of pros for the 2nd gen--

1. narrower than 3rd gen
2. has a truck like tailgate--you can sleep in back and haul things like in a pickup with a shell.
3. price is a lot less--like was said before, you can always add a locker. I put a Detroit in my 95

There are many other things I like too, but the 3rd gen has the same.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
"It's not the wand, it's the magician".
Yup, wheeling is 90% driver. A magician can get a 2wd truck into some pretty difficult places.

Either generation will get you into 90% of the trails out there. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to risk body damage. A stock truck can make it on the Rubicon if you don't care.

That's another thing to think about too, it's mentally easier to take an older truck on the trails, those dents don't hurt so much.

Steve
Old 04-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well, when it comes to buying a used truck, age is something to take into consideration. But there could be a mint 2nd gen and a 3rd gen thats been ran to death. I think we all know can understand that It depends on what you can find. But, you will be missing the power at first, but its nothing you won't get used to and forget about in the day to day.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:30 PM

I know owning a 2nd gen makes my bias, but I used to own a 3rd w/o locker. With the 5spd in my 2nd I think I have had an easier time crawling around than i did in my 3rd. On the trail speed is not an issue. It comes down to torque and the 3.0 has a good amount. My 5spd 3.0 doesnt seem all that slow to me and Ive owned both. I can get up to 65mph in plenty of time and I can pass cars doing 45 uphill in 4th gear around 4,200rpm. I am really happy with my 2nd gen. It looks tuff and its easy to maintain. Its all personal preferance for this choice because both rigs are awsome compaired to competitor's same class.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:30 AM

I drive a 94 sr-5 v-6 4x4 and my wife has a 98 limited v-6 4x4. As far as offroading goes I think the 2nd gen is better. 2nd gen steering components are much stronger, front ground clearance is better, and front skid plate seem to have a much better approach angle. I think there is more aftermarket stuff for the 2nd gen also. The only thing that needs to be done to the 2nd gen is to add an ifs brace. There are a number of companies that make this, and they aren't expensive; maybe $50-75.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well I certainly had alot to read thanks alot guys. Even though most of you that answered were all 2nd gen owners and wera bit partial all the points you made were very viable and now I think I would really like to get a 2nd gen. it saves me the money and I canstill be in the yota family(I was looking at Land Rovers , and Jeeps ) Jeeps cost to much to make trail ready and Lnd Rovers brea ALOT and the repairs are almost always upwards of 1000 bucks. I want to stick with Toyota and maybe I can score a 95 with leather, oh would that ever be nice. When it comes to the question of what kinda of wheel'n I like to do, it all comes to the answer of, "I live on the east coast, what else can be done here primarily" Mud is just about all we have to do, I have places like Tellico and Uwaharri(sp) around here to get into but as for day to day or wekend trips w/ friends, it almost always mean deep water/mud pit crossings, woods/trail runnings, w/ holes and stream crossings. I kinda do need the 3.4 power to get trough alot of these deepers water and mud holes, but I think I can make it through w/ the 3.0, hey I'm 2WD right now on my 3rd gen and I do a dang good job of following my friends(Land Crusier, Land Rover, and Jeeps galore). My tires and lift get me through alot of stuff. I'm prou of my 3rd gen 2WD and I think w/ a 4WD 2nd gen I will be just fine if not better off. Thanks alot guys, that helped me alot. My only hesitation is the 3.0 and all the bad wrap it gets, but I will get over that, it's a tuck not a Honda and I have to understand that. Thanks again, feel free to add anything else at any time, I would love to hear it, feedback and understanding is my best friend in this buying process.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

power is overrated. yes it is nice to have it on tap, for whenever you need it, but it is not always needed. i think the 3.0 would be fine for what he is going to do with it. now, i dont own either, but have had the pleasure of driving both. the 3.0 gets up and runs compared to my truck, and yes, the 3.4 is noticeably faster. but i have found that with my whopping 103hp 22r, i can drag pumkins in mud, and have no problem with sand. it has not been re-geared, and is turning 32's. yes, the 3.0 has a bad wrap, but it is not a bad motor. it is still a Toyota, and still has a long lifespan. i would say, stick with the 2nd gen, and do the mods as you want. you will save money, and imo, a better performing vehicle off road. drive both first, crawl both of them, climb a parking block to see how they flex, really put them both side by side, and see what you like better. it really all comes down to personal prefference, and how well you can drive it.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joez
drive both first, crawl both of them, climb a parking block to see how they flex.

BwaHaaHaa.... parking block.. that is funny as hell. (sad and true, but funny) Corey, can I cross post that to the PBB?? Phuleezeee ......
Old 04-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

trust me, dealers dont like it when you testdrive their truck off-road.