Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen - door lock insanity!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen - door lock insanity!

A bit of a strange thing started today that I was hoping someone could help me diagnose and fix as it's driving me nuts!

The driver's side door unlock/lock button works one way; the doors open, but they will not lock. Twisting the key in the door does not work as it did yesterday either. Now for the really bizarre part...if I press UP on any of the window control buttons on the drivers side, with which you usually...close windows... all of the doors in the truck lock instead.

Um...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Dirty contacts maybe or wires touching?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it matter if the windows are up or down?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine have a mind of there own sometimes if you open the door the will try and unlock tell you shut the door
Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by nick-m
A bit of a strange thing started today that I was hoping someone could help me diagnose and fix as it's driving me nuts!

The driver's side door unlock/lock button works one way; the doors open, but they will not lock. Twisting the key in the door does not work as it did yesterday either. Now for the really bizarre part...if I press UP on any of the window control buttons on the drivers side, with which you usually...close windows... all of the doors in the truck lock instead.

Um...
what do you mean by the key in the door did not work as they did yesterday? do you mean that they will not lock or unlock the doors at all, or that if you double unlock or lock all the doors they will not unlock or lock respectively? Pretty sure the door locks are electric but even if the battery is cut you should be able to lock and unlock the drivers side door with some extra "force". So with the last part of the window locking your doors id have to agree that wires are not properly connected or touching. start by removing the window/locks console and inspect all the wiring.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:39 AM

I meant that...the doors/windows & functions all worked fine the day before!

Twisting the key DOES lock the primary drivers door, as it is supposed to, power or no power. Twisting the key twice also UNLOCKS the drivers as well as all the other doors, but trying to do the reverse and LOCK everything fails miserably.

It doesn't matter what position the windows are in.

It was sleeting yesterday, and I think perhaps some water may have gotten past my rain deflectors and onto the buttons...eh, I hope it didn't short anything out. Guess I'll pick it apart when it warms up a bit, thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 AM

I feel for ya, mine also went bezerk recently..The keylock and keyfob work normally but the driver's and passenger's electric buttons stopped working. I got the wireing diagram and tested all the wires-OK, cleaned and tested the switches..they were fine, replaced the driver's side switch, no change.

This has been going on for a few months and then last week after work I was talking to a co-worker while we warmed up our trucks, it was the first warm day we've had in awhile. He asked about my lock problem and I told him I just changed the switch with negative results and hit the button to demonstrate..damn thing worked. That night it got cold and they stopped working, as it warmed up the next day they would lock but not unlock, let it sit in the sun all day and they worked again.

My trouble is definately related to ambient temps and now that it's warming up I'll never find the cause.

Any Ideas...

Doug.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He left his window open and it poured rain, and his power windows wouldn't work for quite a while. I think he ended up taking off the door panel and using a blow dryer to dry everything up. Seemed to work after that.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I wish I hadn't red this thread.
The min I went out after reading it,
I went to adjust m mirrors and my back windows went down....