Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

315 KM2's are on

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
315 KM2's are on

I'll get better pictures when I get back home. Ran into some trouble finding a shop to mount them (adapters are against policy at discount), so blake and i jacked up the truck in a neighboring parking lot and drove the tires to them. So far I'm extremely satisfied with their road manners, and for the price I got them at I couldn't be happier. Here's the only pic I snagged, blake has the rest on his camera

Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
dang it !!
i wanna see moorree
Old 09-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like your 4runner has been stripped! Where are the tires?

Funny. With all the bad things that people have "HEARD" about spacers and adapters. I have a friend that runs a FJ Cruiser, in the stock class, in off road racing. He has raced it with spacers, the only legal way to widen a "stock class vehicle". He has to run the stock wheels. He has run the Baja 2 times and Taupo once without any related problems. Well there was one pre-race problem, two guys thought the other one tightened the spacers but no one had and they came loose on a shakedown drive.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:50 PM

damn, wish i could say it looks good, but I have no doubt in my mind that it does.

o and btw, we might have to do some troubleshooting when I get back to town. I've started to get some shakes when in gear, no bueno....

Last edited by 94Runner4x4; 09-20-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

yeah the main problem is people's perceptions of adapters. when i try explaining the concept of what i'm running, they'll instantly think spacers and have that naive mindset regardless of how incredibly reliable they actually are. As long as you loctite'd the original studs you're good to go. i'll personally attest to wabfab's adapters, after all the sheet i've been through in that truck, if they're still on then

steven i'll be back tomorrow evening just let me know and i'll see what i can do

Last edited by MillerPKA; 09-20-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: i wanted a smilie
Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
yeah the main problem is people's perceptions of adapters. when i try explaining the concept of what i'm running, they'll instantly think spacers and have that naive mindset regardless of how incredibly reliable they actually are. As long as you loctite'd the original studs you're good to go. i'll personally attest to wabfab's adapters, after all the sheet i've been through in that truck, if they're still on then

steven i'll be back tomorrow evening just let me know and i'll see what i can do
You have to look at it from Discount's view though. They can be a huge liability. There are more than one type of spacer, some are better than others. But how do you tell one customer yes and another no? I am an Assistant Manager as Discount and I have wheel spacers, but I am not allowed to work on my own junk in the shop (during business hours).

Think about this, we don't allow spacers (not directly tire related) but there are some major shops that won't put bigger tires than stock on your vehicle (directly tire related) because of the liability.

Just food for though. Now get those finished pics up
Old 09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Oh I completely understand the logic behind it, it's more of a "i let one then i must let everyone" kind of deal and i'm not looking to put anyone or any business in a pickle. i just wish there was a waiver option where you consent to everything that was done in the shop and after it leaves the premises the store is no longer accountable for any mishaps. i know drafting something like that would be a pain in the butt but given how much more of a hassle it was i wish there was a secondary choice to opt for.

oh and as for the pics, they won't be up until tomorrow sometime, my temporary phone sucks at taking pictures as you can see above and they just wouldn't do it justice, they're coming i promise and they won't let down
Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 PM

why not get some higher offset wheels?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

first, i prefer the 7". they make balance and wear a little tedious but the crowning protects my wheels from rock rash. second of all, i bought the five spokes off another member on here because i fell in love with them. in my opinion no aftermarket wheel even comes close to the design of the 5 spoke
Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM

fair enough...just playing salesman.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

haha well touche you did your part, if i do decide to get a backup set, i'll see if i can find them in a discount catalogue. if so i'll order them from you for your effort
Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 PM

ha ha, sounds good.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

thought i'd grab some decent mall crawler shots before a left buckhead. can't wait to test these babies out on the freeway

Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 AM

thats one of if not THE best looking runners ive ever seen. awesome man
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 AM

Sweet, that looks sick man..
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 AM

First off, I must say that if the spacer is manufactured properly with the right materials and installed correctly, you should have no problems running a safe vehicle. Many of the manufacturers have labelled their product as OFFROAD USE ONLY to protect themselves from liability.

When I installed spacers on one of my projects, I cleaned the surface that the spacer was being mounted to and applied a thin layer of antiseize to protect it from slat and rust. I then applied thread locker to the wheel studs to hold the wheel nits from wiggling loose while driving.

I have not had any problems with wheel spacers myself, as I have always followed the above method of installation. I normally spend about $75 to $100 ( CDN ) per spacer. I know you can cheaper spacer from Ebay and craigslist but why take the risk on a product which someone has made in their back yard shed on a questionable lathe with no R & D?
I have used spacers on a previous project, and have no reservations about putting spacers on my next project if it should require it.

I would surely recomend buying an aftermarket wheel over purchasing a spacer at any time, as the spacer can cost as much as the rim, but if used correctly, the spacer is just fine.

I think your rig looks good with the stock rims on it. Kudos to you for staying with that set up.
As with the trie shop not wanting to deal with the spacers, its a liability issue, and for them , its better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited by DYNNOMMYTE; 09-21-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

i agree, of course new wheels would be stronger than extending the axle by means of bolt on assembly. i was just saying so far they've matched my expectations in every category

if anyone was wondering, these tires are a dream on the road. i have 2 seperate friends with the original mud terrains on their tacomas and i the ride comes nowhere close. seeing the tread pattern on the 315 you would think its impossible, but now my cabins so quiet you can hear someone let out a silent one. just a warning, no one may see some wheeling pics for a while, i try to keep them new looking as long as possible
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
KM2s are a great tire. Looks badass Weston.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM

Sweet rig dude!! By the way, how did you attach your roof rack? It looks like you still have your stock set up on there?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the props everyone, the roof rack attaches the same way it would to aftermarket load bars, maybe i'm not understanding your question

Quick Reply: 315 KM2's are on