Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking it is the wiring to the fuel injectors. I jumped my fuel pump and with the ignition turned to the on position I can hear the pump and the fuel pressure regulator doing something. So I think the next in line would be the injector wiring. I have been trying to look through the forums to find some info on this. I am not an electrical master and I really don't know where to start with this.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

Have you checked to see if your fuel filter or a fuel line is clogged. Make sure you have gas in your tank. Check your fuses and make sure you have fuel pressure in the fuel lines. Also make sure you have pressure to the fuel hose that goes to the cold start injector. I have the toyota repair manual and can take a picture of the troubleshooting page and post a link to it here if you don't have the manual. Also make sure your fuel pressure regulator is working.

Last edited by red86; 04-30-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:34 PM

SIGNS OF LIFE! Well....sort of. I am getting fuel pressure in the fuel rail which is a good thing. Using starting fluid I got it to fire a few times. Playing with the distributor a rough idle was achieved however the distributor was moved so far that the bolt would not go in. Tried moving a tooth on the distributor and then had no luck of it firing other than the occasional backfire. Could it be that the timing is off by a lot? I have tried playing with the distributor but have not had the same luck again. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Is there a check engine light on so you car get the error code? maybe you have real low fuel pressure. Maybe you wired/connected the spark plug wires wrong. Sounds like a timing issue, I think there's a certain way to pu the distributor in so that it's timed with the camshaft. May be you should try moving the distrubitor toothe by tooth and see if anything changes.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildcat_4R
SIGNS OF LIFE! Well....sort of. I am getting fuel pressure in the fuel rail which is a good thing. Using starting fluid I got it to fire a few times. Playing with the distributor a rough idle was achieved however the distributor was moved so far that the bolt would not go in. Tried moving a tooth on the distributor and then had no luck of it firing other than the occasional backfire. Could it be that the timing is off by a lot? I have tried playing with the distributor but have not had the same luck again. Any suggestions or ideas?

have you tried setting bot the cam and the crank to exactly 0*? this may sound goofy, but one can be advanced and the oterh not and cuase problems... awhile back my truck started running like crap, would never accelerate past 2500 rpm, and i had to baby it to get it there... if i ever gave it over half throttle it would bog and almost die... well somehow, the cam gear jumped 3 teeth and was no longer in synch with the bottom end.... realigned them both, and it ran liek a top.....
Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 AM

I am no expert here. So take this for what it's worth. You said earlier that you couldn't finish the exhaust work till later. When I was doing my header and exhaust. I though it would be fun just to fire it up and hear it with a straight header. It wouldn't start. I went ahead and finished the exhaust and it fired up just fine. I am not sure if there is some kind of sensor for exhaust back pressure or not but once the exhaust was done it started fine.

Just a thought.....
Old 05-02-2005, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whoa...sounds like your distributor is WAY off! if you could get it to run by cranking it around a lot, sounds like a timing problem.

reset your crank to TDC(or whatever timing spec it should be at, mine's 8*BTDC) on the #1 compression stroke and re-insert your distributor and line up the pickup in there.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:53 PM

I set everything up to TDC on compression stroke and got the distributor set in right. Roughed out the timing to 5 deg BTDC with a timing gun while cranking the motor. I can get it to run for a few seconds with some starter fluid so I am begining to think that the injectors are not firing. The solenoid resistor is getting power from the ignition so that checks out. When I checked the resistance from +B to the No. 10 and then the No. 20 terminal, I got readings of 3.4 and 3.5 ohms respectively. My Haynes manual says this reading should be between 2 and 3. Would a half of ohm make the difference of my injectors firing or not. How exact do the tolerances need to be?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:55 PM

BTW- I just want to thank all of you for your input. Every piece of information I have gotten has helped me to move in the right direction to getting my pile on the road. I think I'm gettin real close to the problem.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

all right now I want you to try something. Make sure you have all the timing set to where you think it should be. Now I noticed before that you are using a supra AFM, I want you to take it off and put your stock AFM on and try to start it. After you've tried this I want you to tell me what happened.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Man this was a great 'who done it' !!! Then nothing?????? WHAT HAPPENED WHAT HAPPENED??????? Did you save her? Is she dead?