Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2004 Tacoma, 2.7 Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Tacoma, 2.7 Starter Issue

I believe I had a problem in a problem in a problem. I think I’m down to just a single problemnow. I’m in PA and last week thetemperatures finally got down to the single digits. So my original 9 year old battery bit thedust. I replaced it and had it checkedat Autozone where it registered as a “Bad Battery” (11.9V) on the tester. First problem solved.

I was still having trouble starting the truck. Sometimes I would turn the key and get a loudclick but nothing after that. Then Iwould turn the key a couple more times and get more clicks and finally a itwould turn over. I replaced the wornstarter contacts and plunger (144,700 miles). I don’t know if they were out of tolerance but they were definitelyworn.
Now when I turn the key, I sometimes don’t even hear the loudstarter click, I get nothing. I turn thekey again and the starter turns for only a second but then cuts out before thetruck starts but then it’ll start turning again and the truck starts. It seems to only do this when it’s cold, likein the morning or when it’s been sitting at work all day. Next I’ll be trouble shooting the starterrelay, ignition switch and clutch switch. If it turns out to be none of those things (or bad connections), whatpart of the starter is going bad? Solenoid coil? Is that part replaceable?

And one more question, what is the best way to actually removethe starter from the engine compartment? I actually replaced the contacts and plunger with the starter still inthe engine compartment. Kinda likebuilding a ship in a bottle. A couplebrake lines are in the way to get it over the frame rail. And the steering shaft is in the way to getit out the back (I did remove the hydraulic clutch plunger and got close togetting it out, but no dice).
Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bad ground somewhere.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Moody1
I believe I had a problem in a problem in a problem. I think I’m down to just a single problemnow. I’m in PA and last week thetemperatures finally got down to the single digits. So my original 9 year old battery bit thedust. I replaced it and had it checkedat Autozone where it registered as a “Bad Battery” (11.9V) on the tester. First problem solved.

I was still having trouble starting the truck. Sometimes I would turn the key and get a loudclick but nothing after that. Then Iwould turn the key a couple more times and get more clicks and finally a itwould turn over. I replaced the wornstarter contacts and plunger (144,700 miles). I don’t know if they were out of tolerance but they were definitelyworn.
Now when I turn the key, I sometimes don’t even hear the loudstarter click, I get nothing. I turn thekey again and the starter turns for only a second but then cuts out before thetruck starts but then it’ll start turning again and the truck starts. It seems to only do this when it’s cold, likein the morning or when it’s been sitting at work all day. Next I’ll be trouble shooting the starterrelay, ignition switch and clutch switch. If it turns out to be none of those things (or bad connections), whatpart of the starter is going bad? Solenoid coil? Is that part replaceable?

And one more question, what is the best way to actually removethe starter from the engine compartment? I actually replaced the contacts and plunger with the starter still inthe engine compartment. Kinda likebuilding a ship in a bottle. A couplebrake lines are in the way to get it over the frame rail. And the steering shaft is in the way to getit out the back (I did remove the hydraulic clutch plunger and got close togetting it out, but no dice).
Thanks
I'd listen to the wise Wabbit. I had similar symptoms a while back and it turned out that my ground going into the fuse box had corroded and was very loose. This caused all sorts of weird issues before I figured it out.

If you're looking for starter info too, do a search for starter contacts or starter removal. There are a couple of threads about it with pictures and a lot of detail. (here's one) When I did mine a couple of years ago, I took off the passenger tire and disconnected a couple of brackets underneath, and was able to get to the starter bolts without too much hassle. I don't remember exactly what brackets/lines were removed to get to it, but it didn't take 5 hours as some other threads have inidcated. It took some extension and a little pain in the rear, but after about 40 minutes, I had the starter out. Best of luck to ya!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you, I will look into the ground connections as well.
I've combed thru many, many, many threads on starters, but haven't actually found one for a 2004 Tacoma, 2.7L, 4WD, Manual Trans, (or 2002 or 2003) where they "removed" the starter. I was able to remove the bolts easy enough, but I could not actually "remove it from the engine compartment". I was hoping to hear from somebody who removed it from the exact same truck type. Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Bump

Since the weather has gotten warmer, the problem has vanished, but I know for sure it'll be back. Will trouble shoot this weekend and update.

For my future reference, I'd still like to hear from somebody that has successfully removed a starter from a 2004 2.7L 4wd Manual. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM

I haven't had the starting issue since the temperature has been out of the single digets. Had no problem starting over the weekend when the temp was about 16. Nevert the less, I cleaned the ground points in the engine bay and also the starter connections (as much as I could).