Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 Tacoma w/ Supercharger.....Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Tacoma w/ Supercharger.....Help!?

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I just bought an 01 Tacoma with the TRD supercharger which was installed by the original owner at a dealership. I have been reading about the SC (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...l_supercharger) and I see that some recommend upgrading the fuel pump, injectors and re-tuning the ECU in order for the SC to run properly and not cause damage to the engine. Would the dealership have already done these updates?

I have upgraded the plugs and wires, added K&N insert air filter, and it already has a Magnaflow custom exhaust. So I am confident that it is firing and breathing well. However I am not finding the power that astounding and the fuel mileage is not great (My 92 Pickup with the 3.0L gets better mileage).

Should I take it to the dealership and have them tune it? How do I find out if it is working properly?

Jake
Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
What and how have you upgraded it? are you running 92 octane? Check out urd for the proper fuel upgrades. There is no way the dealer can dyno tune or properly tune the ecu as its not really tuneable. You will need something like the 7th injector kit or an alchohol injection kit. Search for those on here and you'll find some great info.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
What and how have you upgraded it? are you running 92 octane? Check out urd for the proper fuel upgrades. There is no way the dealer can dyno tune or properly tune the ecu as its not really tuneable. You will need something like the 7th injector kit or an alchohol injection kit. Search for those on here and you'll find some great info.
I am running premium fuel and I haven't done any other mods that the plugs/wires/filter mentioned above. The 7th injector seems like a idea. If I take it to a dyno shop for tuning are they going to troubleshoot the engine/supercharger?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly doubt it has any kind of fuel mods if it was dealer installed.

You can see if the TRD 7th is installed by looking at the EGR port, if there it no injector it is safe to assume you are on stock fuel. Stock pulley as well i assume?

Other then a basic tune up, fuel filter, cleaning the MAF, seafoam treatment and some injector cleaner there is not that much to worry about for the little stuff.

Just need to figure out what option is best for you for the fuel mods. Like was said the 2 best options are either the 7th injector kit or if you really want a nice boost in power and safty a meth injection kit works GREAT. The only catch is you will need to be able to find methanol/ethanol/denatured alcohol. Washer fluid works as well but not as good.

Here is a video with a look at my methanol setup that i am using for extra fuel, i LOVE it and it works GREAT. LOADS more power then the 7th injector kit i used to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBOlsLTZQ8

Here are the results of the supercharger + meth injection + pulley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLnFf0_H8bI

Runs safer then with the 7th kit, smoother and MORE POWER!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jake3744
I am running premium fuel and I haven't done any other mods that the plugs/wires/filter mentioned above. The 7th injector seems like a idea. If I take it to a dyno shop for tuning are they going to troubleshoot the engine/supercharger?
Do the rest of a complete tune up if the truck is new to you.

Fuel filter, clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, check the vacuum lines to make sure there are no leaks, a seafoam treatment is not a bad idea, also some injector cleaner is a good idea as well.

I like to flush the coolant system and refill with toyota Red and a bottle of water wetter if the truck is new to me, oil change as well is a good idea. Another overlooked but wise thing to do is a flush and refill of the brake fluid and checking the brakes.

All of these things i have learned to check and fix before i drive a new vehicle much due to bad experiences with them on past cars. I go over just about everything on a new to me car.

After all of that, then just got to decide how you want to go about taking care of the fuel, like above 7th or meth injection are the 2 real options.

The tuning you can do yourself, just get a wideband which is a good idea anyways. The stock ECU is not tunable so there is no need to take it to someone to tune it for the most part. The tuning is not hard, just time consuming.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
totally a bro
Staff

what plugs and wires did you use?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM

If it was in fact dealer-installed, all the necessary modifications would have been done, for warranty purposes.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shoua
If it was in fact dealer-installed, all the necessary modifications would have been done, for warranty purposes.
Not true, i have not seen any factory cars that had fuel mods done personally although a few do exist. According to Toyota the fuel system is fine and does not need to be beefed up which is why all the options for doing so are aftermarket.

On the stock pulley, they are right to an extent, it only leans out slightly on the top end with the stock pulley and the ECU is good enough at detecting knock that it usually doesn't cause a blown motor, just a loss of power.

While not good for the motor it doesn't usually kill it as long as you are running 93oct and on the stock pulley.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Not true, i have not seen any factory cars that had fuel mods done personally although a few do exist. According to Toyota the fuel system is fine and does not need to be beefed up which is why all the options for doing so are aftermarket.

On the stock pulley, they are right to an extent, it only leans out slightly on the top end with the stock pulley and the ECU is good enough at detecting knock that it usually doesn't cause a blown motor, just a loss of power.

While not good for the motor it doesn't usually kill it as long as you are running 93oct and on the stock pulley.
I did say "all NECESSARY modifications." If that extra injector was not NEEDED, then no, Toyota would not have installed it. That was my point.

You said the website "recommended" those modifications, which I assume was not a necessity?

The dealership only installs what is needed, not the best setup or recommendation. I work at my local Toyota dealer, that's how I know.

Last edited by Shoua; 05-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Right, they do the min needed to make it run and stay running past the warranty period in stock form, they don't do everything needed to make it work right or the best.

Extra fuel is needed, it gets very lean even on the stock pulley and a bad tank of gas combined with high summer temps can lead to issues.

So we are saying the same thing, the dealer would not have done the fuel mods that need to be done and he needs to do them.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Right, they do the min needed to make it run and stay running past the warranty period in stock form, they don't do everything needed to make it work right or the best.

Extra fuel is needed, it gets very lean even on the stock pulley and a bad tank of gas combined with high summer temps can lead to issues.

So we are saying the same thing, the dealer would not have done the fuel mods that need to be done and he needs to do them.
Well, you asked this question: "Would the dealership have already done these updates?" and that was my answer to you. Sorry if I sounded like I was being a jerk.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shoua
Well, you asked this question: "Would the dealership have already done these updates?" and that was my answer to you. Sorry if I sounded like I was being a jerk.
Actually the OP asked that, i said the same thing as you basically in my reply
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM

what plugs and wires did you use?
NGK Iridium IX Plugs and NGK Wires.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Do the rest of a complete tune up if the truck is new to you.

Fuel filter, clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, check the vacuum lines to make sure there are no leaks, a seafoam treatment is not a bad idea, also some injector cleaner is a good idea as well.

I like to flush the coolant system and refill with toyota Red and a bottle of water wetter if the truck is new to me, oil change as well is a good idea. Another overlooked but wise thing to do is a flush and refill of the brake fluid and checking the brakes.

All of these things i have learned to check and fix before i drive a new vehicle much due to bad experiences with them on past cars. I go over just about everything on a new to me car.

After all of that, then just got to decide how you want to go about taking care of the fuel, like above 7th or meth injection are the 2 real options.

The tuning you can do yourself, just get a wideband which is a good idea anyways. The stock ECU is not tunable so there is no need to take it to someone to tune it for the most part. The tuning is not hard, just time consuming.

Thanks guys really appreciate the info. So what I gather from your posts (Given $$ and how much time my wife will let me spend with my 2nd love):

1. I need a 7th injector (I am not too interested in going the methanol route; but it looks like awesome power)
2. Upgrade the stock pulley (What PSI for the pulley)? Right now my pressure gauge never goes over about 5-6 PSI on hard acceleration.
3. Upgraded Fuel Pump (do I need this)?
4. Routine maintenance like fuel filter, Seafoam (i already did a treatment; quite a smoke show); I will do all fluids. And my Dad is a mechanic so we have already been through the rest of the truck and it is really solid.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Thanks guys really appreciate the info. So what I gather from your posts (Given $$ and how much time my wife will let me spend with my 2nd love):

1. I need a 7th injector (I am not too interested in going the methanol route; but it looks like awesome power)
2. Upgrade the stock pulley (What PSI for the pulley)? Right now my pressure gauge never goes over about 5-6 PSI on hard acceleration.
3. Upgraded Fuel Pump (do I need this)?
4. Routine maintenance like fuel filter, Seafoam (i already did a treatment; quite a smoke show); I will do all fluids. And my Dad is a mechanic so we have already been through the rest of the truck and it is really solid.
urd's 7th injector kit has a walbro 190 with it.

I wonder if you have the stock 180 thermostat or are running the recomended 170.

The plugs you got, were they the ik22's?

a 2.2 pulley will net you 1- 1.5 psi increase. 2.1 will net 1.5- 2psi I believe.
pulley info
http://www.urdusa.com/Pulleys-Superc...duct_info.html

Fuel upgrades
http://www.urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-..._80/index.html

Is your motor equiped with an egr valve? If so you won't be able to use the 7th injector kit.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM

urd's 7th injector kit has a walbro 190 with it.

I wonder if you have the stock 180 thermostat or are running the recomended 170.

The plugs you got, were they the ik22's?

a 2.2 pulley will net you 1- 1.5 psi increase. 2.1 will net 1.5- 2psi I believe.
pulley info
http://www.urdusa.com/Pulleys-Superc...duct_info.html

Fuel upgrades
http://www.urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-..._80/index.html

Is your motor equiped with an egr valve? If so you won't be able to use the 7th injector kit.
Vital these are the plugs I used:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...x.asp?mode=nml

I will have to check on the ERG and the Thermostat later and get back to you.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Vital these are the plugs I used:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...x.asp?mode=nml

I will have to check on the ERG and the Thermostat later and get back to you.
I don't see what the part number is. Do you have the part number? The key thing is that its 2 heat ranges cooler than the stock plug.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM

I don't see what the part number is. Do you have the part number? The key thing is that its 2 heat ranges cooler than the stock plug.
I believe this is the part # BKR5EIX11, which according to NGK is a hotter plug. I just wasted $60. I need a BP7ES which is colder. I never knew there were different temperatures for plugs.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Hey Vital,

I called NGK tech support re the cooler plugs. They said the BKR6EIX-11 are good for engines with up to 10 PSI of boost. I don't think I will go higher than that so I put those plugs in today (instead of the stock BKR5EIX-11; Crappy Tire is making a killing off me). Seems to idle a bit quieter and maybe a bit smoother on take off.

I'm going to be doing a camping trip this summer, pulling a tent trailer, to Idaho so I want to make sure its running well and getting better mileage. Last tank got 400 km / 250 miles. I'll do all the fluids and change the thermostat too to help keep it cool. 170 degree I think I read on another post. And that will be all for now. Wife will kill me if I put hours and cash into this truck just to mod it up.

Jake
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Those plugs will work fine and you should be fine on your trip.

When towing a heavy load you need to turn the overdrive off and it helps to turn the ECT on. You don't want the overdrive/converter lockup hunting for it's lock up point.

Quick Reply: 2001 Tacoma w/ Supercharger.....Help!?