Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Tacoma TRD AT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Tacoma TRD AT Problem

Can anyone tell me why every time I let off the brake after coming to a complete stop my truck makes a bumping sound that I can fell and hear. I also see the shifter in the floor move quite a bit it time it bumps. I don't think it's the drive shaft because all the U-joints are in really good shape. I do know the shocks are bad and I plan to replace them so could it be them or could it be in the tranny or the rear end? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

It's the infamous axle wrap, notoroius in all Tacos. Check to see if your leaf packs have de-arched. Getting new ones or re-arching them will most likely solve their problem. You may want to grease the driveshaft zerks and spline if you haven't done so already. I replaced my flattened leaf packs and greased the driveline down recently and made a world of difference, drives like a new truck now.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 AM

Would a AAL help at all cause my leafs are flat now too.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does it cost to re-do the leaf springs?

Originally Posted by humanoid
It's the infamous axle wrap, notoroius in all Tacos. Check to see if your leaf packs have de-arched. Getting new ones or re-arching them will most likely solve their problem. You may want to grease the driveshaft zerks and spline if you haven't done so already. I replaced my flattened leaf packs and greased the driveline down recently and made a world of difference, drives like a new truck now.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefightertaco
Would a AAL help at all cause my leafs are flat now too.
Generally the more leafs you have the less axle wrap you'll have.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jrallan26
How much does it cost to re-do the leaf springs?
That depends on where you get the leaf packs from. Give Alcan a call and get a quote for the best, then compare to the rest. http://www.alcanspring.com/
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 AM

So what is the leafs doing when they cause this noise or can the term axle wrap be explained so I'll know what's going on?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

The axle twists as you apply power to the wheels. Picture how a dragster will wheelie off the line, your axle is starting to wheelie because the connection between the axle and the frame (leaf springs) is too flexible. There is another option besides stiffer leaf springs, it's called a traction bar. It will help stop the loosey connection between your frame and axle.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a picture of an Alcan spring pack:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...42310107BxPnsh

Here's a pic of a Budbuilt traction bar slightly modified: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/5470...42310107kZrJbf
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a thread going on the 86-95 forum about what springs are best: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/ome-vs-downey-vs-alcan-rear-leaf-springs-90376/
Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 AM

Now that's a set of springs and a mighty nice traction bar too!

I understand now Dale, thanks for the analogy. I see a slight sag in the rear right now but I do have a Leer camper shell on it so I guess that is some of it...maybe the new Bilstein HD's will help some with that too...They will be here soon....as for the leaf replacement, I may have to wait a little while on that.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 AM

Before you spend a bunch of money on suspension, grease the crap out of the slip yoke on the drive shaft. Grease it until it comes out the slip yoke and see if that helps.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ruddyduckin
Now that's a set of springs and a mighty nice traction bar too!

I understand now Dale, thanks for the analogy. I see a slight sag in the rear right now but I do have a Leer camper shell on it so I guess that is some of it...maybe the new Bilstein HD's will help some with that too...They will be here soon....as for the leaf replacement, I may have to wait a little while on that.
New shocks may help a little but you really need to focus on your leaf springs.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guy's I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

I'd be carefull about over greasing the slip yoke. I've seen the end cap of the drive shaft blow out from too much grease and it's really just a bandaid fix anyway.

Also keep in mind you get axle wrap from stopping quickly too, not just acceleration. I think this is made worse by the sagging springs loading the rear brakes too much. This is because the load sensing proportial valve (LSPV)thinks you have loaded the bed full of weight and is valving the brake pressure too much to the rear brakes. Try hard braking sometime on wet pavement and see if your rear brakes are locking up before your front brakes (only works with non-ABS trucks of course) If they do, there are ways you can fool the LSPV into valving less braking pressure to the rear brakes. Or you could just try braking sooner & softer, probably save on gas too.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I mostly feel the bump right as I come to a comlete stop or either right when I let off the brack after being stopped. I never feel the bump when I have my trailor and ATV hooked up....and I never feel it when I hit the gas....Does that sound about right?

Last edited by Ruddyduckin; 09-01-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I think that's when most report hearing it on the Tacos. I've heard my worst clunks (93 truck) when accelerating hard in reverse and that would be wraping the same direction as stopping would.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread I looked underneath my truck, my leaf springs have no bow at all. I guess its time to replace them. I am going to give that spring place a call.

Thanks for the tip.

Now making calls for quotes...

Originally Posted by Tanto
New shocks may help a little but you really need to focus on your leaf springs.

Last edited by jrallan26; 09-01-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

I just looked on my 2001 Taco and there is some adjustment for the LSPV arm at the axle. I found a good adjustment for my 93 after my 5" lift by using a thick, stiff wire to hold it stable at the proper angle. I tested it on wet pavement a few times to get the adjustment right. The higher the arm (closer to the bed) the more rear braking you'll have. When the rear sags with weak springs the arm is closer to the bed and you have more rear braking. Or you can modifiy the arm bracket too, or some just cut the arm off up at the LSVP.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruddyduckin
Yeah, I mostly feel the bump right as I come to a comlete stop or either right when I let off the brack after being stopped. I never feel the bump when I have my trailor and ATV hooked up....and I never feel it when I hit the gas....Does that sound about right?
I get the same thing also on my 2001 Taco auto. So does a guy at work that just bought a 2006 Taco DC auto. I have noticed that putting the tranny in the power shifting mode (ECT switch on) that the clunk is mostly gone.

All this discussion about the Taco clunk on this board and others and I have yet to read about anybody that took it to the next level and did an actual eyeball of the drivetrain during the clunk instant. Takes 2 people. If you don't beat me to it I am going to get my sister to drive it....fast stop it to get the clunk noise while I observe. Hopefully she does not run me over ZUK

ps--I think it might be the DS carrier bearing.

Quick Reply: 2000 Tacoma TRD AT Problem