Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4Runner Rear washer fluid line BROKEN needs repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4Runner Rear washer fluid line BROKEN needs repair

Hi,

I've noticed for some time that my rear window's washer fluid doesnt work. The front washers work fine however. Soo I started looking into the rear washer issue yesterday and i found that the rear fluid line is completely ripped. My guess is that it was during the winter, while the line was frozen because its a pretty jagged looking tear.

The rip in the rear window fluid line is located right next to a hole that goes into the passenger quarter panel under the hood where it looks like the front and rear fluid lines split off in order to go to their respective areas. Im guessing that the rear line goes into this hole into the "crawlspace" of the body and leads all the way to the back sprayer. My problem now is how do I rectify the problem?? (assuming i've identified it accurately

Does anyone have a washer fluid diagram? or any ideas that would help. at this point i think it would be best to reconnect the washer fluid line by either replacing the broken line completely (if manageable) or just put on a new line bridging the existing tear. either way, i think its something I could do personally, rather than take it to the stealership. As always, any help is appreciated.

thanks,
sk
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The rear line goes into the fender where you're describing and then along inside the body under the edge of the carpet. If you remove the plastic trim inside the doors you'll see it. The easiest way would be just to get some rubber hose and a couple of connectors and replace the torn section.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM

how can i get into that fender space? or am i talking about taking of a couple body parts?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM

You would be snaking it from the front fender, through the firewall, under your dash and the kick panel, under the front door jam, seat belt piece, rear door jam, rear seat belt piece, and through the whole entire passenger hatch panel which has the storage thing in it(huge pain in the a$$!!!). While your at it you would need to take your hatch panel and metal shrouds out so you could snake your hand up there to run the new piece of tubing up through the hatch and to the washer nozzle.

I would just patch the line under the hood and start from there...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:00 AM

yeah, thats what i thought i'd try as well. and if that doesnt work. im sure i could make it without a rear washer (wiper still works fine).

but my real question I guess, is where exactly does the tube go once it exits the engine bay?? I ask because thats exactly where the tube has broken. I have a hold on the tube form the side of the fluid reservoir, but the other side of the break is not visible. It looks like the tube broke right next to a hole that goes between the body and engine of the pass-side quarter panel. So far, thats the first place i plan to look for the other side of the broken tube. not sure how i should be able to get at that space though. here enlies the only real difficulty i foresee..
Old 10-18-2008, 02:25 PM

ok i fixed it today.
I just took off the broken tube from the side of the reservoir and put on 1 foot of black tubing (i couldnt find the exact same kinda stiff clear tubing) and connected it with a 'splicer'. i had to remove the flare screws to get at the tube from the sprayer end from under the quarter panel but it all worked out fine. thanks for the help guys. I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 PM

only question now is, why do my rear sprayers suck so much? the real test will be this winter i guess...