Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2 questions bout my 99 runner...limitedslip/stepsidebars

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 questions bout my 99 runner...limitedslip/stepsidebars

1. I have a 3" body lift with the 3" revtek spacers. Well with the 3" body ALOT of frame is shown now that I took off my running boards because I didnt like them like most people. I was looking at sliders but they dont cover alot of the frame and I dont go off roading to much to put them into good use. I just got a price from autozone for about 254$ on some black stepside bars (yes I know there not durable for off roading but hopefully they will never touch anything that will bend them). Anyways I was wondering if these step side bars will be connected to the Frame or the Body. I'm hoping to the body because if they are connected to the lower frame they would sag down to far and look like crap. If anyone knows anything or has them and could tell me that would be great.

2. My 994runner is 2wd. Well I went on this little side trail cuz I was bored and got alittle bit of mud on my tires. Well when I got to the road I was wondering if i power breaked it if one tire would spin or two. I was thinking only one would spin because i have a 2wd and i thought only 1 tire could me spinning at a time. But when i power breaked it and then went back and looked at the skid/rubber it was left from both back tires. I have know electric locker or anything like that and no buttons. I dont really understand the hole limited slip thing eiather. anyways i went off roading again to check out some trails and i saw a lil half hill thing that I flexed on. well i went over the hill alittle bit to much and was trying to back up. The left back tires was almost off the ground so it had barely any traction. when i hit the gas only that one spun and i forgot my front window was down and got a lil muddy. :pat: . but anyways im wondering why the other wheel didnt spin that time but it spun when i power breaked it with a lil bit of mud on my tires.

**If anyone has the front or rear (or both) toyota Symbol CHROME emblems for a 99 or 00 I REALLY NEED THEM!!!**

THANX!!
Old 06-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have an open diff. If you have equal traction between the tires (same surface and weight on/beneath the tires then both will spin. If you (for example when you were articulating your suspension) have a different load on one tire than the other, the one with the least traction will spin. A trick that works rarely, but sometimes is to set your parkingbreak moderately if you're in a tough spot with only 1 wheel spinning. Theoretically if it's set right, it will put about 50% brake power on each wheel, and so both would be tempted to spin/pull you. I've tried this trick maybe 10 or 15 times. It's worked maybe twice.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 AM

Thanx for explainin how that open diff works. Ill try that parking break thing if i ever get into a situation like that again. Before my cuzin just rocked me till i got more traction and got out.

Anyone got any info on the Stepside bars??? (*or emblems*)
Old 06-28-2004, 08:53 AM

Most nerf bars I have seen mount to the frame.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stive2699
**If anyone has the front or rear (or both) toyota Symbol CHROME emblems for a 99 or 00 I REALLY NEED THEM!!!**
I have a set of chrome emblems from my 2001 4Runenr SR5. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

-- Andrey
Old 06-28-2004, 09:19 AM

I figured a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here you go:

Rear Attachment Point Frame:

Front Attachement Point Frame:

Side Shot:

I have no body lift, so this is just to show the attachment points.

:edit: These are Manik Side steps.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:28 PM

Thats the look im going for. Now im just wondering if they will hang down to low on the frame since my body lift is 3". I'm about to go pull in the garage and check it out since its been storming here like crazy in ATL. I just went to autozone to see there stepsides and they have the Westin kind. Have you ever checked these out? they will run me about 270. How much was yours? thanx for the pic's they do help out alot. You should get a pic website because ur 4runner sounds badass with the trouchscreen. I was thinking about getting one but I havent decided if it would be worth all the money.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stive2699
Thats the look im going for. Now im just wondering if they will hang down to low on the frame since my body lift is 3". I'm about to go pull in the garage and check it out since its been storming here like crazy in ATL. I just went to autozone to see there stepsides and they have the Westin kind. Have you ever checked these out? they will run me about 270. How much was yours? thanx for the pic's they do help out alot. You should get a pic website because ur 4runner sounds badass with the trouchscreen. I was thinking about getting one but I havent decided if it would be worth all the money.
Yeah, I'm working on getting a website up. The touchscreen is really cool. I have some pics here. Most of the stepside bars are similar, they nearly all look identical, the only caution is to make sure that the step itself is pressed into the bar and not cut out. If it is cut out it will rust even faster than mine have. (I've only had mine on about a year and a half, NY Salt stinks in the winter). I think you should go for them, seeing that much of the frame doesn't look super great in my opinon.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:27 PM

yeah i hate it showing that much frame. I think im gonna try that. im gonna ask one of my buddys if it would work out cuz he seems to know more about that kind of thing then me. (if there giong to sag down to much or not) but THANX alot for the pic's again. i was gonna get the double dash kenwood touchscreen but i talked to my other friend who had a touchscreen alpine and he said it was cool for like 3 months but then it was just "there". i wanted to get navi activated but i heard its like a outragous price to get it working on the lcd in your car.