Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2" body lift write-ups for 2000-2002??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" body lift write-ups for 2000-2002??

Anyone out there have a 2" body lift write-up for a 2000-2002 4Runner??

Chris (ravencr) was kind enough to provide a write-up for a 1" RB BL, but that doesn't directly apply since 2"+ BL's affect steering and tranny linkage, that 1" BL's don't.

I'm inches away from going with a 1½" Roger Brown, but it seems the more I read about +1" BL's, the more gatcha's I run into. For example, one site mentions not being able to access the spare tire winch with the crank handle after a 2" body lift because the holes are misaligned afterward. Anyone know if that is true?? (I know the rear bumper moves with the body, but I would think that the spare winch is also mounted the to body's under carriage... maybe I'm wrong??).

My '01 body bolts appear to thread directly into the prefab'd/threaded mounting bracket (no separate nut on the underside). Do the bolts supplied in the RB BL also thread directly into these prefab/threaded mounting brackets, or do they need to be drill out?? If a drill out is needed, I like to go with grade 8 bolts. Anyone know what size (dia.) and length come with a 2" RB BL??

I also read the front bumper mounts are a bit different on 2000-2002, so the frot bumper brackets available from Roger need to be modified a bit.

Just wanna make sure I've got a of my base covered before I get into this....
Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 2" body lift write-ups for 2000-2002??

Originally posted by hillbilly

Chris (ravencr) was kind enough to provide a write-up for a 1" RB BL, but that doesn't directly apply since 2"+ BL's affect steering and tranny linkage, that 1" BL's don't.

I'm inches away from going with a 1½" Roger Brown, but it seems the more I read about +1" BL's, the more gatcha's I run into. For example, one site mentions not being able to access the spare tire winch with the crank handle after a 2" body lift because the holes are misaligned afterward. Anyone know if that is true?? (I know the rear bumper moves with the body, but I would think that the spare winch is also mounted the to body's under carriage... maybe I'm wrong??).

My '01 body bolts appear to thread directly into the prefab'd/threaded mounting bracket (no separate nut on the underside). Do the bolts supplied in the RB BL also thread directly into these prefab/threaded mounting brackets, or do they need to be drill out?? If a drill out is needed, I like to go with grade 8 bolts. Anyone know what size (dia.) and length come with a 2" RB BL??

I also read the front bumper mounts are a bit different on 2000-2002, so the frot bumper brackets available from Roger need to be modified a bit.

I did a write-up on here somewhere for a 2" RB body lift, but couldn't find it in the search so I don't know where it is but I will be happy to answer any questions. Just email me.

Brian

If I can find it in a search i'll post it here.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Banned

Here it is

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...y+lift+install

Email me if you have any other questions about something that I don't address in the following post.

Brian
Old 09-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Banned

Re: 2" body lift write-ups for 2000-2002??

Originally posted by hillbilly

Spare tire is no big deal, pop off plastic top bumper cap and it is easy access to lower spare tire.

You shouldn't have to drill out anything. Just take the OEM lock washer things off the top of the bolts to put on your new bolts from RB.

Bumper mounts will be made according to amount of lift. They work fine no problem.

Any other questions, just email me and I'll be happy to help.

I will say this, it is easier to take the whole steering section off the spline and mark both pieces where you took it off, loosen the bottom bolt and then take it apart on the shop table and put in the spacer, then put it back on lining up the spline

Brian
Old 09-17-2003, 01:41 PM

I just did a 3inch on a dakota today. I know it is different from the 4 runner but they are alike in many ways. on the spare tire thing the holes don't match up anymore but we were still able to turn the crank at a angle just fine( i would guess a 2inch would be okay) the bolts did go right into the stock mounts. i don't think the spare whinch is mounted to the body it is on the frame. good luck. redtoy92
Old 09-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

With a 2 inch, the wholes dont line up...BUT you can still lower it with a 1/2 drive socket extender just inserting it behind the bumper where the crank bar would come through. Its really easy to do especially when you have a 2 inch BL.

As far as instructions and parts...Roger includes everything you need to do it and its all high quality stuff. There isnt really a difference between installing a 1inch and a 2 inch. You have to do the same things, steering spacer and trans linkage.

If you havent read it yet, here is AdamF's writeup VIA RogerBrown which is what i followed to do my 2inch BL:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...er/index.shtml

Bumper mounts have to be modified? I have a 96 so I cant testify to that...
Old 09-24-2003, 11:19 AM

Have you guys had any probs with the 2" BL? I read 4crawlers page (What you have to replace) is all that necessary? or should I just go with a 1" BL and not worry about it?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Banned

No problems!

Originally posted by toyotadan
Have you guys had any probs with the 2" BL? I read 4crawlers page (What you have to replace) is all that necessary? or should I just go with a 1" BL and not worry about it?
I had no problems whatsoever.

Took off lower fan shroud, didn't move radiator, used the extra bumper mounts, undid the battery harness, it was tight and redid it after the lift, I used the steering extension but didn't have to mess with tranny linkage. Any other questions PM me.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 09-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by toyotadan
Manual or automatic?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i have a 1.5 inch rb body lift. after the spare tire holes didn't line up, so when i got my new trailer hitch, i had them do a little work to it, and now they line up and i can use the factory tools.

i had the lower radiator fan shroud issue too. it had to go, and i've been fine without it. i did't bother lowering the radiator, it's fine. so other than the steering column extension and bumper brackets, that was it for my body lift.