Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1997 4runner Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 4runner Recall

I have a 97 limited runner and i have read of some rear spring recall? Where is the official info on this recall? My mom wants me to have official statements by toyota stating the recall for my 97. Thanks yall
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an '97 4runner as well and heard about that also...If i'm not mistaken (which i probably am as I read it a while ago) it was a bushing in the coil or something like that....I was also trying to find something official but I was just planning to take it to the dealership over christmas break (i'm in school) and let them tell me if the vehicle was already recalled or whatever...sorry i didn't really answer your question...just thinking out loud
Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 97' and I am starting to get the rear sag...
Stepdad keeps making fun of me since his ^$$ is still in the air (he has an 02' Runner)
I think you can take your vin to the stealership and ask them...
When I was there getting the front brakes done I asked him too look or another recall (I think it was front wheel bearing or something of that nature)
I should have asked him about the rear sag recall...
I reall do feel like I am dragging my behind around...
Old 12-06-2006, 04:36 PM

yea i would just take it in and ask... but my mom insists that i have some official statment before we go. Somethin about how she went for her recall on a different car a few years back and they wouyldnt do it until she had official proof.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

If you have a 4WD the service campaign was a replacement of the bumpstops and the springs. If 2WD, just the bumpstops.

I had mine done in 2002. All they needed was the VIN, and they gave me a Corolla S rental.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
If you have a 4WD the service campaign was a replacement of the bumpstops and the springs. If 2WD, just the bumpstops.

I had mine done in 2002. All they needed was the VIN, and they gave me a Corolla S rental.
Mileage dosen't affect this recall right...
The springs sage when they sag right...
The reason I ask this is because I have over 100K and have done some off-roading so I could have "prematurly" worn the springs...
I was figuring just cleaing up the Runner Really good and then taking it in...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Portdogmc
I have a 97 limited runner and i have read of some rear spring recall? Where is the official info on this recall? My mom wants me to have official statements by toyota stating the recall for my 97. Thanks yall
New rear springs, a rubber stopper inside the spring and the frame bumpers get replaced. Will make it stiffer and ride will be even!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
New rear springs, a rubber stopper inside the spring and the frame bumpers get replaced. Will make it stiffer and ride will be even!
That sounds so Nice...
Stiffer ride = no mom in my Runner!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
funny thing is, it was to prevent the possiblity of the rear from being too high, and the CG being slightly higher than design, making the car easier to roll in a hard turn (remember the Explorer?) So, they wanted to make sure your springs aren't accidentally "too high".
Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 AM

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

recall, check this out
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 AM

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfmout/Users/nicholasquear/Desktop/recall.pdf

recall, check this out/Users/nicholasquear/Desktop/recall.pdf
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 AM

Well the document is at that sight its to large to post
Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteelHound
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfmout/Users/nicholasquear/Desktop/recall.pdf

recall, check this out/Users/nicholasquear/Desktop/recall.pdf
link not workin for me...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 AM

Anyone want the pdf recall documents just PM me with email and ill send them.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM

Anyone know if the 4runners in Hawaii are a part of this recall? I know the 4runners here come from Japan and not the US. I called the dealership and they said "I don't think they are." It wasn't definitive.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FORANA
Anyone know if the 4runners in Hawaii are a part of this recall? I know the 4runners here come from Japan and not the US. I called the dealership and they said "I don't think they are." It wasn't definitive.
All 4Runners are from Japan...
I beleive there awas an arguemtn on that somwhere in the forum...
double check I believe it applies...
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 PM

The '97-'98 4Runners were built with bump stops attached to the frame outside the rear spring coils. This design provided very little upward travel ("bump" travel) for the rear axle. Under hard cornering and/or with heavy loads in the rear, the axle could contact the bump stops, causing the rear suspension to "go solid", leading to snap oversteer! I do performance driving instruction, and it took all my skill to catch the tail coming around on a couple of occasions! It was nastier than my old Porsche 911!!! The recall:

1) Replaced the bump stops with bumpers mounted inside the spring coils, and:
2) replaced the rear coil springs.

My '98 had a fairly bad case of this, and I fixed it by removing the factory bump stops and replacing them with Air Lift bags. This did a fine job of fixing the problem. Then came the recall, which I never had done.

If Toyota is still doing the recall on affected trucks, get it done, by all means! Your truck will love you for it, and you'll have a much safer ride!

Regards,
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM

my 4runner is there right now being worked on. I have a 2wd and he says that the reason it is sagging is b/c my shocks are worn out. Well i had already know they were worn out so i had bought new shocks that they are putting in while they have it apart... but i sure thought it was old springs that caused the sagging. The guy says replacing the springs arent part of the recall so im stuck with the orignal springs this sucks

o well at least i got the new type of bumpstops and got my shocks put in(even though they are charging for putting in the shocks!) grrr
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Portdogmc
my 4runner is there right now being worked on. I have a 2wd and he says that the reason it is sagging is b/c my shocks are worn out. Well i had already know they were worn out so i had bought new shocks that they are putting in while they have it apart... but i sure thought it was old springs that caused the sagging. The guy says replacing the springs arent part of the recall so im stuck with the orignal springs this sucks

o well at least i got the new type of bumpstops and got my shocks put in(even though they are charging for putting in the shocks!) grrr
Tell him to look on the TSB, new springs are on the parts list. I'd also ask for 1/2 off labor on the shock install because they had to disconnect the shock bottoms just to get out the springs to add the new bump stops......it is impossible to do with the shocks connected. Sounds like that dealer is giving you a hard time.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-12-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Shocks do not cause sagging. Worn Springs cause sagging. Just ask 2nd Gen 4Runner owners. That dealer is BSing you.

Quick Reply: 1997 4runner Recall