Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1990 4runner ELECTRICAL PROBLEM with front and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 4runner ELECTRICAL PROBLEM with front and brake lights

not sure what's going on with my girls car, but the brake lights keep going out... when you turn the headlights on, the rear lights are on, but when you step on the brakes, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the lighting... we thought it was the bulbs, not that, and also when the lights are NOT on, and u step on the brakes, the dash lights turn on... if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, welcome to the forum!

The front park lights probably come on also when you step on the brake?

The first thing I would check is the rear bulbs. Are they the correct ones in each location? (have they been changed before this happened?) Does it have a trailer towing harness, or maybe those bulbs like the ones U-haul installs that have pigtail connectors to hook up a trailer? Check the trailer harness for damage. If it has U-haul bulbs, get them out and replace with correct bulbs.

Let me know if this works.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:41 PM

hey, thanks for the warm reception, i appreciate it... not to mention the USMC insignia was another friendly sight as well... =)

anyways, went to pep boys, changed out all the bulbs, it SOMEWHAT fixed the problem, but now, only the LEFT side lights up brighter when you step on the brake... both sides work fine when the headlights aren't on, but when the lights are on, only the left brake lights up...

but the dashboard lighting up when you step on the brakes thing is gone now...

any ideas??? don't think this car is worth getting it fixzed if it's an electrical problem at a shoip, that's gonna cost and arm and a leg... basically we need the car to run properly until may, her parents are giving her a brand nwe lexus, her old man is getting shipped out to japan, and they just bought the lexus which they can't take with them... it being LHD and all...

Originally Posted by Yoda
Hi, welcome to the forum!

The front park lights probably come on also when you step on the brake?

The first thing I would check is the rear bulbs. Are they the correct ones in each location? (have they been changed before this happened?) Does it have a trailer towing harness, or maybe those bulbs like the ones U-haul installs that have pigtail connectors to hook up a trailer? Check the trailer harness for damage. If it has U-haul bulbs, get them out and replace with correct bulbs.

Let me know if this works.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

check your ground wires, a bad ground wire can cause the problems your experiencing.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:45 PM

not to sound like a COMPLETE moron, but exactly what and where would the ground wire be located???

Originally Posted by BruceTS
check your ground wires, a bad ground wire can cause the problems your experiencing.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i posted something about this a few weeks ago without much luck, however on my vehicle its just the right break light. everything else works fine. i think it must be the wire, but i dont know how to replace a wire or whatever. is someone kind enough to explain how to do so? thanks~ kyle