Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 Vibration problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shakes on my 2003 4-runner

Thanks for the reply.

Just got back from the dealer. They said they would set up an appointment for the district service rep to meet with me when she comes to town (in one to three weeks). Meanwhile today I had someone video-tape my hand on the steering wheel while driving, showing the shaking and the speedometer. When I get the movie finished, I'll post it online for all to see. You'd think armed with this great advertising, Toyota would solve this problem for me soon!

I have a question...I have been reading posts about possible tire slippage. They say to mark the tire and the wheel at the same spot and see if they move. Did I have to do this immediately after it was balanced, or can I still do it. Does it slip just once or does it keep moving. Because it seems as if the problem gets better and worse in a day, at different speeds between 60 and 70mph.

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-29-2003, 04:02 PM

maybe you need to find a local tire dealer that uses the hunter GSP9700 balancer and the haweka adapter. It solved my 3rd gen 4runner vibration problem, and I have the same vibration that you have in my 03 4runner too. I took it to the dealer that I got my 4runner from, of course, they were clueless, and fed me the oh so familiar line "we test drove another brand new one, and it does the same thing, so it must be normal." Luckily, another local toyota dealer is using this machine now, I guess they've gotten enough vibration complains to invest in a hunter machine. Good luck!

rich

Last edited by richardyc; 08-29-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:19 PM

The last Goodyear store that I ended up at, is a regional one that DOES have the Hunter machine and a special adapter that they said they used (must be what you are referring to). Still no improvement.

Today I drove about 20 minutes at all highway speeds and the problem was GONE! I was so surprised. But then I continued on to my next destination and the problem was back, bad as ever. What gives?

I have been checking the little circle mark on the tire that is lined up with the valve stem. Always in the same place.

I am getting ready for the Toyota rep. when she says they are all that way. ($40,000 and a vehicle that shakes??) I test drove 8 4-runners before I ordered one. 4 out of the 8 shook worse than mine. The dealer at the time assured me it was merely a minor problem that a tire balance would fix. I think I was rooked.

Dan
Old 08-30-2003, 05:49 PM

Dan,

It could still be the tires because they may be setting up a sympathetic, harmoic virbration when they are in certain positions (they change relative to each other each time you make a turn-this is what people are referring to as slippage, not the movement of the tire on the rim) and then it goes away when they align differently. It sounds confusing but was explained to me by a tire expert who is truly a tire expert (it was the lead technician from Tire Rack about two years ago). My other vehicle is a Mazda Miata which is very prone to vibration unless the tires are perfectly balanced and perfectly constructed. When they used the Hunter roadforce balancer, did they invite you to view the screen that shows the internal construction of the tire? The tire can be perfectly balanced but if it has soft spots in the cord, it can create this coming and going virbration. Of course, it might not be the tires at all but something in the suspension or even in the drivetrain (god forbid) but I had this exact same problem on a GMC truck that took six new tires before they had four that would work together, all the time. When I replaced those tires with Bridgestone Duellers, the tire shop needed five tries to find four "good" ones but I never had another virbation problem (many, many other problems but the tires were fine). My 03 4R with Dunflops did the exact same thing on the drive home from the dealers and that is why I was back on their doorstep the next morning (before the check cleared!) to get it fixed before I got into a litany of tire problems. Good luck cause I feel your pain and frustration. Personally, I'd ask the local tire dealer to install new Michelins with their guarantee you don't pay until there is no virbration then sue the dealership in small claims court for the cost of the tires, balancing, lifetime road hazard, free flat repair and any other extras they can come up with (cost $22.00 in Va. to file).
Old 08-31-2003, 11:51 AM

Thanks Tom for the advice. You know just hearing from others with the same issue makes me feel better already.

I am going to wait and talk to the Toyota rep. when she is in town soon and let her see a printout of some of these posts. It is OBVIOUS there is some problem that shouldn't be. They sold it to me and they can take care of it. If I get no cooperation at this point I will take your advice and buy 4 new Michelins with a guarantee they don't vibrate before I pay. I have nothing to lose really. If it solves the problem at least my daily driving experience won't include swearing at Toyota. I can always try and recoop the money legally. I'm not one to tamper with because in the past I have been known to fight and win when I am violated. It just irks me to no end that I pay almost $40,000 for a vehicle and they won't bend over backwards to fix this obvious problem.

Dan
Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 AM

I feel your pain

My wife and I just got back from getting our 03 4Runner from the dealer and the steering is still vibrating. This is after they balanced the tires. What to do now?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

dasilva:

So the dealers took a look at the vibration issue (which is documented on your paperwork right?) and balanced the tires to see if the problem will be resolved? I hope you did not have to pay for the balancing of the tires since you're still encountering the same problems.

So long as you have the problem documented well, take it into another dealer and ask them what to do as you feel that it is not a safe vehicle to drive if the steering will vibrate excessively. They should probably hold the vehicle and if they do, you are entitled to a free loaner car (thru Toyota) so you don't need a rental. Do not accept the vehicle back until the problem has been resolved. If the problem persists and it does not get resolved, talk to Toyota Corp and have them take a deeper look into the problem.

So long as the dealer states that the problem has not been resolved, you're on the upper hand. Be patient and just but the crap out of the dealer and Toyota CSR.

Good luck.

Lance
Old 09-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ready2buy
It just irks me to no end that I pay almost $40,000 for a vehicle and they won't bend over backwards to fix this obvious problem.

Dan
Try spending $250,000 on a brand new house that has a chronic faulty a/c unit that has not been fixed six times now by the contractor. That is really a pisser when it is 98* outside.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:12 PM

Update on the steering problem. All four tires were carefully balanced again by GoodYear. Same problem. Then the GoodYear store put on two new Dunlop (same as came factory), used the RoadForce balancer and special adaptor to balance it. No change. I went back to GoodYear and he found after 1 week of driving that one of the front tires had slipped about 4" from the marks we made when we lined up the wheel and the tire. He rebalanced it with some stuff that is suppose to seal the tire on. Still shakes. Tomorrow he is putting on 4 new GoodYear tires, different than what I had on. This will tell us for sure if it is the tires or not. Meanwhile the regional Toyota rep. will be in town in a few days and if the problem isn't gone, she will get involved.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, please keep us posted!

Doug M.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:48 AM

Good Times,

The balance work was all done free of charge, but yes the vibration is still around. I guess I just have to keep bitching until something is done or they get sick of seeing me.. we will see if "ready2buy" finds out the tires is what is causing this problem.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:57 PM

I've got the same problem too... present since day one and hasn't changed in 1200 miles. It's definitely not the tires in my case (as well as several other cases I've read about).

My vibration is only apparent under acceleration or light to moderate throttle cruising at certain highway speeds (55 to about 65 mph). It is not present at all during coast down or very light throttle cruising. It's also not present at 66mph and above.

I think it's some sort of harmonic vibration in the engine or driveline. It's only present in 5th ("D") gear. If I drop it to "4" the problem goes away.

I'm hoping it will just go away on its own as springs, bushings and other things "soften up" (and their harmonic frequency changes). I had similar problems with a 99 Ford pickup and went through endless trips to the dealer and tire store. After a while I decided to just live with it... after about a year it went away on its own never to return.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:48 PM

Yesterday I went back to Good Year. They put on 4 NEW tires. This time they changed brands and tires completely. Now they put on Good Year SR-A tires. The problem is GONE! No shaking at any speed, smooth as glass! Finally I can drive in peace with a smile on my face. That awful shaking made me furious. How long will this last??? Brand new off the Toyota lot it shook. They balanced the tires and it was fine for 9000 miles until it all started again. Then they put two new dunlop tires on the front and it still shook the same. Now with a different brand of tire it is fine. Who knows. Something tells me the trouble isn't over. Guess I'll just have to hope and pray. Meanwhile I am compiling a long detailed letter to Toyota expressing my anger and frustration with Toyota for NOT helping with this. I think, from a customer service stand point they should have taken care of this for me. I spent over 15 hours of my time going to six tire appointments to solve this...maybe. I drove for weeks, with an unsafe shaking vehicke. Yes, I am very happy the shaking has ended, but the whole experience has made me very angry with Toyota.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:10 PM

revived thread

because my head hurts from working on this vibration for a couple months.
new tires, new wheels, balanced with lug-centric adapters, rebalanced, talk with tire/wheel people, rebalance...same crap, the vibration. its gotta be something else, maybe front suspension is not handling certain vibration/harmonics???

so one 4wheelin type of guy workin at the tire shop who had a sweet off road rig sitting there, told me "i bet its suspension related". just found someone post here on how to 1) check the steering rack, i will be doing this ASAP.
2) checking alignment this weekend also.
3) check motor mounts
4) check tranny mounts (?)

damn frustrated with this steering wheel shaking. HAS anyone figured out the source of this prob???

peace

'99 S/C, bilsteins+ 1" performance springs + BFG AT k/o's

Last edited by sn0w_m0nkey; 08-13-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

SO you have a 3rd Gen (99)?? ANd you have K/O's. The 4th Gen problem seem to have been the Dunlop tires the factory put on.

AFter you check alignment, etc. Loosen up the wheel lugs and retorque them with a torque wrench to the spec.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
SO you have a 3rd Gen (99)?? ANd you have K/O's. The 4th Gen problem seem to have been the Dunlop tires the factory put on.

AFter you check alignment, etc. Loosen up the wheel lugs and retorque them with a torque wrench to the spec.
i think my problem is more related to this post:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/vibration-steering-wheel-38463/

more steering wheel shaking than vibration i suppose, but the vibration shakes bad!

i'm currently on a completely new set of tires + new wheels and had balanced, rebalanced 3 times with the hub centric adaptor. going to investigate what i can in the steering components, alignment etc. perhaps a bushing or something? the prob started with my old BFG k/o's, but is persisting.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:40 AM

I gave up!

I was in on this discussion way back in 03, with my '03 4Runner. I did everything that everyone suggested to solve the shaking. Finally I filed for arbitration with Toyota, they of course denied it, saying nothing was wrong. There is something definately wrong, according to an independant expert I hired. I have since hired a lawyer and filed for the Lemon Law. The case is pending. I will post when I find out the resolution from this action.