Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 4Runner industry impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 4Runner industry impressions

The majority of what you read or hear on these chat boards is negative. I work for an automobile trade association and have access to ungodly amounts of trade journals and figures. The '03, 4th generation 4Runner, is experiencing a sales increase of 42% over the previous model year. 46,000ish 4Runners were sold in '02, this year the number is 79,000ish.

Maybe it is just the new design that is drawing people.

Or, perhaps, it is because the new 4Runner is a bad ass vehicle and Toyota hit a home run with the new design and features.

If this new design, Toyota or Lexus badged, was such a lemon, people would have figured it it by now and the 'subjective' trade rags would have schredded Toyota if they felt it was a rushed or inferior product.

My '03 Runner has had a few hiccups, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have owned. And I get a new car every two-three years.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Re: '03 4Runner industry impressions

Originally posted by Sac State
The majority of what you read or hear on these chat boards is negative. I work for an automobile trade association and have access to ungodly amounts of trade journals and figures. The '03, 4th generation 4Runner, is experiencing a sales increase of 42% over the previous model year. 46,000ish 4Runners were sold in '02, this year the number is 79,000ish.

Maybe it is just the new design that is drawing people.

Or, perhaps, it is because the new 4Runner is a bad ass vehicle and Toyota hit a home run with the new design and features.

If this new design, Toyota or Lexus badged, was such a lemon, people would have figured it out by now and the 'subjective' trade rags would have shredded Toyota if they felt it was a rushed or inferior product.

My '03 Runner has had a few hiccups, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have owned. And I get a new car every two-three years.

Last edited by Sac State; 09-26-2003 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:13 AM

The 42% increase over last year is not because the design is superior to what was previously offered. The increase is because the sales leveled off since the 3 generation was at the end of it's run. That is very common for new vehicles to have huge increases over the previous vehicle that shares it's name plate. People obviously waited for the new version.

I like the new 4runner. I don't think a few minor problems qualify it as falling into the same category as a Yugo or a Hyundai.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:09 AM

I agree w/ SacState... I love my 4Runner, I just have a few complaints (but, no problems.)
Old 09-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

At first I didn't like the looks of the 4th gen. I think the grey body cladding really hurt it. The look from the back angles isn't that great either.

Overall the vehicle has really grown on me. Now I can't wait to get one. I know Toyota makes a great product and this one has really been improved over past versions. Also remember that people will always voice a complaint 7 out of 10 times where they might voice a compliment 3 out of 10 times. I believe the reason that the 4Runner sales have gone up is that people waited and like the new SUV. Otherwise sales would be horrible. I've even seen statistics that sales have noticbly improved since introduction of the Appearance package.

I have also felt that this forum is kind of 4th gen negative. Another 4Runner board that I like is http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ and they tend to be more 4th gen positive.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jgs9455
At first I didn't like the looks of the 4th gen. I think the grey body cladding really hurt it. The look from the back angles isn't that great either.

I have also felt that this forum is kind of 4th gen negative. Another 4Runner board that I like is http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ and they tend to be more 4th gen positive.
Hey, I like the grey cladding! The solid black Runner looks like a Ford Windstar, at least the grey breaks up the lines and de-emphasizes the low stance. But that is another heated debate. There is never any people on toyota-4runner.org. Edmunds is populated by MIT grads who want to debate every statistic known....

Last edited by Sac State; 09-26-2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 AM

I have not driven a 4th gen yet so I cant speak to what I might like or dislike about one in that area. My opinon is one of just plain looks. I dont like the way a 4th gen looks. It has an angular look, and the cladding, painted or contrasting, to me looks bad. Now my pics for an SUV would be the 3rd gen 4 Runner or the new Sequoia. I like both their styles. Later Taters!!
Old 09-26-2003, 12:59 PM

Take it in perspective

I found this board after buying my 4th gen Runner. I waiting for 3 years to see what the next generation would bring and was among those that really hated the look of the new design, but went to test drive it anyway. I drove one home, 'nuff said.

I think that point is well taken that you need to keep things in perspective when getting negative about the issues that have popped during the first year launch. This is a Toyota after all and I think that those of us who know have come to expect perfection from their products and that ain't never gonna happen.

It has been extremely useful to have this forum as a reference point when I run across an issue with my new truck. Sure it comes as gripes, but mostly it results in finding solutions and helping each other out.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by PistonSlap
The increase is because the sales leveled off since the 3 generation was at the end of it's run. That is very common for new vehicles to have huge increases over the previous vehicle that shares it's name plate. People obviously waited for the new version.
sac, i was wondering if you could find data showing the increase from each new model year to the next to see if the difference is consistent. if so, then design didnt play as much as a part as we think...but the deciding factor is people just want new things?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:04 PM

Hi guys...it's the 03 V6 that is having the engine noise problems that Mish and others including myself are talking about..
Old 09-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Sil23
Hi guys...it's the 03 V6 that is having the engine noise problems that Mish and others including myself are talking about..
As one with the noise, I can say that Toyota has kind of dodged the issue. However, it is overall a superior vehicle. Although I never personally owned any other generation, I drove several Gen3's and the difference in ride and handling to the 4R4 is night and day. They finally have a "truck" that rides more like a car but is off road capable and can actually tow something.

I think you just see more complaints on a board like this because people are enthusiasts and notice more little things that joe average buyer would. How many "regular" people do you think could go on for months about lift kits and blowers - not many.

The one thing I believe about Toyota is that if they were to truly screw something up, they would fix it.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:19 PM

I definitely prefer the looks of the 3rd gen. But that didn't stop me from getting a 2003 4WD V8 Limited.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by williemon
I have not driven a 4th gen yet so I cant speak to what I might like or dislike about one in that area. My opinon is one of just plain looks. I dont like the way a 4th gen looks. It has an angular look, and the cladding, painted or contrasting, to me looks bad. Now my pics for an SUV would be the 3rd gen 4 Runner or the new Sequoia. I like both their styles. Later Taters!!
Not driving it, I think that is a huge part of the equation.
As for looks...I had the opposite reaction as you did. I really like it- both painted and unpainted cladding. I originally wanted the unpainted but they stopped that so... I think I'm the only one that likes the grey cladding.

I hate the Sequoia on looks alone. Everything is out of proportion on that truck. Taillights too big, windows too small...I don't know, it's a real mess in that aspect to me. Otherwise I know it's a great product.

This is my first Toyota and I remember looking at 3rd gen 4R's when I owned my Nissan and not being that impressed either. I thought they looked ok but nothing special. Now I think they are the best looking small/mid size suv out there. 4th gen looks better though
Old 09-27-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
I think I'm the only one that likes the grey cladding.
No you're not the only one -- I love it on the titanium color. It provides contrast to the color, and it's a distinctive look wherever I park it. I've not seen another exactly like mine yet here in central Arkansas (there is one other titanium SR5 with gray cladding, but not 4WD and no spoiler that I have seen).

Best of all, the gray cladding cleans really easily. I drove up to Chicago recently, and I-55 from Memphis to St. Louis basically runs right next to the Mississippi River...in the early evening, the truck got covered with bugs. They came right off, no effort involved.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Speaking of funky, what do you think about the new Nissan Pathfinder Armanda? It looks like Nissan cut the vehicle in half and then 'smooshed' it back together. The front and rear are higher than the middle.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:59 PM

The Pathy armada and Titan put the ass in massive!
They are not up to the domestics in styling large trucks-toyota either. I like the Tundra but that is a 3/4 truck not really full size.

I think the next pathy and xterra will look great tho.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 PM

Speaking of funky, what do you think about the new Nissan Pathfinder Armanda?
Funky? Funky???!!! FUNKY????!!!!

No. Not funky. Ugly.

Really ugly.

Realy, REALY ugly.

Uglier than Hillary when she's waken up. Without makeup. The morning after Bill confessed.

POWERFULLY ugly.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by M1911
Funky? Funky???!!! FUNKY????!!!!

No. Not funky. Ugly.

Really ugly.

Realy, REALY ugly.

Uglier than Hillary when she's waken up. Without makeup. The morning after Bill confessed.

POWERFULLY ugly.
Tell us how you REALLY feel about it M1911.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:51 PM

I got the 4 gen 4 runner because I still think there is nothing better otherthan the lexus. I have a few complaints but would not trade for anything but the lexus.
I think the 3rd and 4th looks I like about the same. But I tried to test drive a 3rd one time and said no way didnt even start the engine. Too small, high, uncomfortable and felt it was made mainly for short people.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

IMO, I liked Nissan designs better when they had the '86 hardbody pickup trucks and the first 2 and 4 door Pathfinders. I'm not crazy about the Xterra (so-so looks and weak engine) but the Frontier, Titan, and new Pathfinder Armada are all "POWERFUL UGLY". Can I lump the Infinity FX45 in there too? The normal Pathfinder is too plain jane to me, I'd take it though if I had to. I have seen prototypes for the next Pathfinder, and it looked pretty cool, but I doubt it will look that way in reality. I like the Infinity G35, but the rest of Nissan designs leave me cold - 350Z, Altima, Quest, and Maxima.

I always liked the look of the 2nd and 3rd gen 4Runners, but I drove my big brother's (Sigma Chi) 3rd gen and found it unimpressive. I rode in the back seat of another on a 4 hour trip and found it miserable. When I sat in the new 4th gen I thought it kicked arse!! My girlfriend liked the silver cluster on the dash and I felt like it had more room (I'm 6'2"). I have yet to test drive one though....

Quick Reply: '03 4Runner industry impressions