86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Twistedyota's '87 4Runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so i took the tranny out last night and found out my clutch was bad. ill try to upload a pic once i find one but it was seriously bad.

but it didnt cost me a cent i had a pretty decent clutch tht came off the wrecked 85. so i have 6.75 into tht wrecked truck but i have so much more tht has already paid for its self easily
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedyota
...but it didnt cost me a cent i had a pretty decent clutch tht came off the wrecked 85. so i have 6.75 into tht wrecked truck but i have so much more tht has already paid for its self easily
don't forget time. my local dealer charges $110 an hour for labor. so if you're working on your truck for, say, 6 hours, you've just saved $660.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
don't forget time. my local dealer charges $110 an hour for labor. so if you're working on your truck for, say, 6 hours, you've just saved $660.
well im going to a school called UTI, have u heard of it?

and 6 hrs to swap a clutch???? idk iif its because ive swapped trannys back in forth between the runners bout6-7 times but it took me like 3 and tht was with a lot of mishaps

Last edited by twistedyota; 12-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
well im going to a school called UTI, have u heard of it?...
yeah, i was considering it at one time. ended up at an aviation maintenance school. it's great. (it's funny, 'cause a guy from wyotech recruited me)
how do you like uti?

...and 6 hrs to swap a clutch???? idk iif its because ive swapped trannys back in forth between the runners bout6-7 times but it took me like 3 and tht was with a lot of mishaps
i just meant in general. but yeah, then $330
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
how do you like uti?
uti is really good im abouit to grad. ive been their for 1 1/2 yrs year round. every 3 weeks u start a new class but they could easily turn those 3 weeks in to 6 weeks. they teach u a lot of diag. and basics.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM

un bolted the pipe from the manifold and cut the pipe before the cat today. took it out and saw the spots i missed tht i couldnt weld while in the truck so im gonna grind the welds down on sat and put a newer cat tht my fam has laying around and get it smoged. if it passes i should be street legal(if dmv says ok) and if so im swapping runners on the insurance and going to get it nice in purdy looking tht night.

i hope everything works this time.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 PM

so i found out friday night tht my uncle welded my exhaust pipe for me earlier in the week yay. tht was one less thing i had to do. so today me and my dad unbolted the old cat, cut the bolting flang to it and cut the flang off the newer cat welded my flang on the newer cat and bolted it up, then welded it to the front pipe. then to it to the smog, failed, still had an exhaust leak tht was to big. took it back tried tightening the bolts and snaped a stud so we had to remove the manifold (not very fun when the engine has been running for a while) so got the stud removed installed a new one and earlier in the build another studs threads were stripped in the manifold so i just tapped it while on the truck so the flang had threads to. figured ttht might of had something to do with the leak so we drilled the hole bigger on the flang, and cleand the threads i made up. then went to install the O2 sensor and found it didnt sit flush and tht the threads where the sensor screws into the mounting plate were hitting the manifold so we drilled the hole out and allowed it to sit flush.

took it to the smog shop again and it was good for 5sec then bad for 5sec then good for 5 secc then bad again. and it kept switching. so ima swap my AFM and ECU and try it again if it doesnt work im going to swap injectors. the injectors tht are in it now came out of the wrecked truck. i still have the injectors tht came out of the runner and the had a fuel system cleaning done to them so i may do tht buti wanna try the easy stuff first. ill find out wenseday morning
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM

so thursday night i was readin a thread somewhere talking about a hand throttle. i like the idea so i made a list of things i would need.....well i went to work on friday and someone left a bike behind our building and whola all the parts i need. so i got the parts of the bike and mounted
first setup

right on the shifter with the cable going through the boot above the tranny to the throttle body. it was in a perfect place for the had to reach. but a problem occured. when shifting gears 1st 3rd 5th i had no throttle with the handle 2nd 4th rev i had throttle tht was a little high at idle. due to the fact the i tightened the cable in neutral. it was great though. on the freeway id put it in 4th and pull the handle till i got to 65 and it would stay my own little cruise control.

well i had some spare time and re mounted it

my view

now this is still temp. when i get the scav street legal i will swap it on to it and do some more modifing. now i have throttle response in all gears,and my cable goes between the shift cover and the floor i do not know if my control will change in 4lo. but like i said its temp i found a peice of pipe right before my work closed tht i can mount the handle to and i want to bolt it between the seat and the center consol.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM

first off. i have to state one thing

I GRADUATED TODAY!

ok back to toyotas
so tuesday i let my friend who just returned from boot camp drive my truck in this mudd feild.(it was raining so it was more like a water feild)
but this is his second time driving a stick the first being over a year in the scav in a business area with lots of open roads and no cars.

so he killed it about6-8 times trying to get it going, he finally got it into second and into the mudd where he was foot to the floor spinning donuts which was a blast, untill he straightened the will and went torwards the asphalt. he got to the asphault and started turning hard. the truck started sliding a bit while im in the pass. side hoping it doesnt flip we were doing about 35mph and it was leaning hard. then out of nowhere we see a metal pole. miss it about 8in in the front and god knows how close from the back sliding. well so he is still turning and he is starting to go back towards the mud. thank god. wrong! out of nowhere comes a second stop sign this one was a 4x4. SMACK!!!!! almost right in the center. ripped the pole out of the ground and pulled it about 3-4ft away.

now the stock bumper on the berry is smashed in, it pushed the grill up a bit and cracked it in 2 places on the top nothing major, u can only see it when opening the hood. and it cracked on the pass. side headlight bezel part.super glue will help tht later. and my hood is dented. also it hit so hardt tht it ripped the corner caps off the bumper and they disapeared in the mudd somewhere.

ill try to get some pics of the damage soon.

so after tht my friend decided he was done drriving, so it was the next ones turn. he was whipping donuts and having a good time. while about 1/4 away their is a T in the road and cars come down the road every once in a while but they turn. so we are having a good time and we see head lights by the T so my friend stops and turns the headlights off and we watch. the car turns. so we start spinning donuts with out the lights, going by moon light. well another car comes to the T. we stop and wait. this time the car goes straight towards us. so we run. as my friend is racing off im telling him what turns to make and when to slow down. as this is going when we leave the mudd our friends in the back of the runner say the see lights on top of the truck tht pulled to the mudd pit and stop right on the road next to where we we having fun.

so your day isnt done until you break some stuff and run from authority.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha congrats on graduating! that right there is the reason only 1 other person besides me has EVER driven my truck. i just dont trust other people because they dont know what i have put into my truck. sounds like fun though! haha
Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 AM

congrats on graduating!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
haha congrats on graduating! that right there is the reason only 1 other person besides me has EVER driven my truck. i just dont trust other people because they dont know what i have put into my truck. sounds like fun though! haha
yea but he is a good friend and owell ˟˟˟˟ happens
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

apparently the nut tht goes on the bottom alternator bolt fell off some time when i went mudding. i didnt find this out till last weekend when driving to work my the lower bolt slid partially allowing my alternator to move. so by belt popped off can any one guess what else my belt runs?

its the water pump....yay=(. so my engine got hot and my crappy radiator tht was leaking at the top seem blew. so i had to have my dad take the one out of the scav and drive it to me. i swapped them and checked everything over and it looked good.

however things arnt good. when trying to drive to work this past sunday my temp gauge rose so i stopped, and found out i was pretty low on coolant. so i filled it up and turned around. grab my dads suburban and went to work, came home, let the berry warm up shut it off and removed plugs. my mirror was quickly fogged up on cyl #1 and slightly on cl #2. so i backed it up and started disassembly. right now the upper intake, fuel rail, and most vacuum line are removed. i have a head gasket from my rebuild set on the other motor.

now on to the scav. so i was swapping the one radiator back and forth when trying to smog the scav. last time i faile i looked up on napafix and was told tht tight valve clearances would cause high co's so i checked the valves and every one was super tight. so i adjusted them and took it back. it should pass ive swapped all the parts between the 2 trucks. WRONG it was worse.

so now i have one truck tht is not street legal and one tht is not drivable. while my dad suggested to me just a couple of hours ago to put the motor from the scav in the berry so i have a vehicle of my own to drive and then fix the blown head gasket and drop it in the scav because the berry just passed smog 3 months ago.

and now for pics of the mudding incedent
.... nvm i cant find my adapter for my memory card once i find it ill load the pics
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 AM

"so i got a 22r. however i have to use the 22r exhaust manifold because the head only has 7 studs while the 22re has 8 studs.

do all 22r only have 7 studs or is it do to the year. my 22r is out of an 85 while my re is an 87.

So does anybody know if their are any othe differances?"

^^^ I know I am kinda late on this, but I was able to get a 22r working with my EFI parts from my 86 Pickup.

I re-taped a whole on one of the spare bolt holes(originally 10x1.25, needed to be 12x1.25 for the knock sensor) and I drilled a hole in my exhaust manifold so it would bolt to the 7 stud head of the 22r. I found that to be easier than trying to drill and tap 3 wholes for the o2 sensor. So far so good! I just finished it yesterday and I drove it to work tonight.

Last edited by Beejc1128; 01-11-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: to be more specific
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Beejc1128

^^^ I know I am kinda late on this, but I was able to get a 22r working with my EFI parts from my 86 Pickup.

I re-taped a whole on one of the spare bolt holes(originally 10x1.25, needed to be 12x1.25 for the knock sensor) and I drilled a hole in my exhaust manifold so it would bolt to the 7 stud head of the 22r. I found that to be easier than trying to drill and tap 3 wholes for the o2 sensor. So far so good! I just finished it yesterday and I drove it to work tonight.
tht would have worked, but i was able to get a 22re. thanks anyways
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 PM

so i got the engine all torn down all tht is left is to remove the valve cover and the head bolts and the head will come right off. this weekend we are swapping engines. hopefully if everything goes well ill have the berry running monday morning. this does put the scav off fo longer though=(
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM

Nice rigs! I love the first gen 4runners. Good luck with the swap

ps: I want your inclinometer
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM

^^^ x2!!

But good job man, seems like youve been doing alot of work jus to get it running. hah
Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by AmpedRunner
Nice rigs! I love the first gen 4runners. Good luck with the swap

ps: I want your inclinometer
Originally Posted by 18_YotaLuv
^^^ x2!!

But good job man, seems like youve been doing alot of work jus to get it running. hah
thanks. i have been doing a lot of work to them lately but its kinda because im hard om them. my first vehicle was and is a 1970 chevy c10 tht had a 350 in it so going from tht to these is a differance but the 5 speed helps make up some of it
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 PM

got the scav in the shop. removed the engine, pushed it out and pushed the berry in. removed the engine ot of it and dropped the scavs engine in the berry. got the motor mounts and bell housing bolted up will hopefully finish tomarow. started at 5 today and ended at 10 with an hr dinner so not bad progress.

Quick Reply: Twistedyota's '87 4Runner Build thread