86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Terry, I am slowly restoring an '86 Runner. I bought it from a fella in NC. Pretty rough when I first got it (caller it Ole' Blue). No carpet, stacked nerf bars, blew the head gasket on the way home from the purchase, limped her home and $600 later she was running good. Recently purchased fiberglass fenders, quarters, tailgate skin, and cowl. hoping to get these installed this spring. bought it with 31's on it, now has 35 BFG MT's and picked up some Old school Alcoa look-a-likes this weekend for 2 bills. You may wanna consider toyotafiberglass.com. They are great to work with. I also saw some factory quarters on pirate4x4 recently for $100 ea. Good luck with the build! ....subscribed!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I want to get something done at least once a week, no matter how small it is. The PO had put holes in the lenses and used U-Haul lights. So I had the little guies to help on that.
Looks like you have some excellent help. Weasel, my 9 year old, loves working on Toyotas, getting filthy and then going home and showing his mother.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM

hey terry Ill be watching this one I think Im gonna find alot of insperation here, like seeing the kids involved my are all grown now but I remember when the were young enough to think I was smart lol.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello 92.. I had 91 4Runner with the 3.0 5 speed and I really liked that truck. Couple of years ago when gas was nearly $4.00 I had to sell it and get my flat bed for the mileage. Try finding a low mileage 3.0, Thats actually how I wound up getting an 01 4Runner. I couldnt find one with low mileage and had to jump up to a 3 year old truck at the time.

I was home for my 2 weeks from Afghanistan and was actually on line when you and xxxtreme got your 22re running. "Its ALIVEEE." You have come along way. Your thread Im sure has helped many others
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Erick.. I like the thoughts and ideas you have for yours. Thats about what I am thinking for mine. There are some fiberglass pieces I would like to do to mine and will check those sites out. Seeing yours on the road is a big incentive for me. I will be glad to get to the stage you are at. I like the way you have your truck looking now. Just got to wait for warmer weather where I can really get after mine.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
thanks Terry.....I DO remember you.

the 4runner (my son's....he just turned 15 this week) has 248k on the odometer, so we pulled the engine in the fall and have SLOWLY been undoing it and accumulating parts.....so it's a work in progress.....very slow progress, just like mine was.

definitely was a GREAT feeling of getting the motor in mine back together and running. The help I got here was soooooooo important as well as the encouragement. XXXTREME coming over to help at the end was just what I needed to help me feel better that it was going to be OK.

as far as parts for your 22re, I used LC Engineering for some odds and ends and trdparts4u.com for most of the Toyota stuff as well as some small things from my dealer (crush washers, PCV valve) and engnbldr.com for my rebuild kit. I think all-in-all, I got the best bargains around....same as we are doing now, I find out what parts we need and search and search until I find the best price. shipping can kill a bargain price but some places offer free shipping.......example would be autopartswarehouse.com for AISIN water pump and oil pump for his 4runner......plus I ordered it on tuesday and had it the next day.

If you aren't in a particular hurry, ebay is a good source for weird stuff like interior panels, buttons and stuff like that.......what i usually do is look for stuff we might need, save it to my watch list and kinda watch to see what the going price is for that kinda stuff to gauge about what I should pay rather than just buy it as soon as I find it.

craigslist is something we watch daily too using searchtempest.com to search all the listings......can be time consuming searching for stuff, but like i said, you can gauge how much you should pay by how much things are selling for.......some sellers know exactly what they have, some are looking to just get rid of things and you may make out on it.

i will check in often.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Waskilly....I have had the kids dirty helping before.lol The other half doesnt quite see it the same. Im hoping to get them into trucks young and it will pay off in the future when they are teens. Hoping it will make the teenage years a little easier, not for them, for ME. j/k I envy you welders. Im ready to get to the point where I can add things on after the truck is complete.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-25-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason.. You got your engine looking great. I have painted a mine in the past and it just doesnt have that zing to it when I get it done. I am about like you are, just trying to get the time to do it. I ready for spring and summer and think I should have more time for it. I ready to get going on it.
I hear parents go from smart to dumb to smart again. I think I remember my parents going through the same stages. Or it could of been my way of thinking. I just dont want to admit just yet.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just doing an update on the 4Runner. Got the pump in, battery charged, and it didnt want to turn over. I will start checking out the reasons in the next couple of days. Started getting the interior cleaned up some. The rear seats cleaned up well so far.

Wifes truck had a noisey belt on. It turned out to be just the AC belt. Simple enough. Just tighten the belt... Thats not the way it went. The bolt broke, so I pulled it out and was trying to remove the bolt as it had plenty to still get a hold of. It broke 2 more times. Finally I just replaced the pulley and the adjustment stud. So I am still getting a few things done.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got to work on the 88 today. First it was the 80 amp fuse. Got it replaced and had the fuel pump working. Went to check to see if it would even crank and it did for a second then stop. I pulled the plugs and number 4 cylinder was full of antifreeze. I kind of kick my self in the butt for not pulling plugs in the first place. The PO said it was running til the fuel pump went bad. I took him at his word, but it did set for 2 years.

Im hoping for a cracked head, but wont know til I get it pulled. I have another head and a complete motor and have worked on enough 22re's so I will eventually get it running. I just really wanted to drive it.

I will see what caused an 80 amp fuse to be blown. Electrical is not my strongest area. But I am determined to find the cause.

So while waiting for good weather and the budget. There are plenty of things to work on. Plan on tearing the motor down to the head for now. While waiting for parts, I plan on working on the dents and getting the engine and interior parts cleaned up. I am thinking the weather is going to be descent for the next few days so will just wait and see how things go.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Another thing I got fixed on my 91 was the horn. I know this happens alot and hopefully this will help some in the future. Pull the steering wheel with a Steering Wheel Puller that you can usually rent from a parts store for free. Then check it by touching the brass spring in the 11 oclock postion. I just used my wrench. If it honks it is most likely the brass ring on the back side of the wheel. Not the best picture but you should get the idea.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The way I fix this to take a small flat blade around the edge of the brass ring and raise it a little bit and slip some paper gasket under the brass ring. It has worn itself down and not making contact with the 11 oclock post.

Plate horn contact part # 84312-20011. $4.98 through an online Toyota discount parts dealer.

Here is a better picture of the Brass Ring and my pointer finger is what makes contact to sound the horn. I just clean them with some fine grit sandpaper.
Name:  Brass.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  24.5 KB

Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page.

Testing horn
Another thing I got fixed on my 91 was the horn. I know this happens alot and hopefully this will help some in the future. Pull the steering wheel with a Steering Wheel Puller that you can usually rent from a parts store for free. Then check it by touching the brass spring in the 11 oclock postion. I just used my wrench. If it honks it is most likely the brass ring on the back side of the wheel. Not the best picture but you should get the idea.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-11-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wanted to mention it in the previous post. Use a Steering Wheel Puller. Dont bang on the Steering Rod. I will bulge where the nut goes back on to hold the wheel on and you wont get it back on. This is probably a 30 minute job from start to finish.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am trying to put some good photos up for others to use. Some of the common ones such as Brake and Power
Steering I not going to get photos.

These 2 Hoses go to the Gold Valve on your Plenum

These 2 Curve around from the Rail to under the water neck

It is Marked P for Purge, goes to the Canister on the Firewall

Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This thread may jump from disassembly, cleaning, to other repairs. I work on what I can and when I have the time and if funds are the issue, I will work on things that dont cost at the time. But it will lead to the same results of getting this truck completed.

I would like for this thread to be helpful for others that may not have the experience or to find a solution to their repair. I think by the time I am through with this project it will touch on a lot of different areas.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
This thread may jump from disassembly, cleaning, to other repairs. I work on what I can and when I have the time and if funds are the issue, I will work on things that dont cost at the time. But it will lead to the same results of getting this truck completed.
My projects jump around for the same reason, it seems that balancing time and money is the key, I seem to always have one or the other, but never both at once, lol
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
My projects jump around for the same reason, it seems that balancing time and money is the key, I seem to always have one or the other, but never both at once, lol
and if you do have both, then the wife's stuff breaks!

keep it up terry, we're watchin

Last edited by flg8r22; 01-26-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM

mine jumps around for the same reason but Im trien to get alittle more collected in my postings anyway lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just took off the dreaded Crankshaft bolt. It was the easiest thing I have ever done. I borrowed a friends pry bar and it is a set up I am going to get. It is a 3/4 in pry bar with a 3/4 in. to 1/2 adapter to 1/2 in. 19mm impact socket

At first I bumped the starter to set it agaist the frame and heard it tap as it hit the frame. Then I hit the starter for about 2 seconds and heard the starter spinning. I thought that something was wrong. Looked at it and could tell the bolt was coming out. I have used 5 foot of cheater bars and seen impact wrenches struggle to get one of these bolts out. One time even had to take to a diesel mechanic as he had a high power impact wrench. I have a dental appointment, maybe I can get back in time to start tearing this down today but will have tomorrow to get it done

One other thing I wanted to mention if you go this route is the day before I charged the battery to maximum capacity and pulled the spark plugs to help reduce resistance.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

May not look like much but here is the start of some of the parts I have gotten cleaned up. I can tell alot of time is going to be spent getting rust,oil, and dirt off of these parts. But it is something I can do on the days it is to cold or raining outside.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-28-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread